What's new

setting up question.. (1 Viewer)

WillieWolf

Auditioning
Hi, i've just set up a lil home theater in my bedroom..got myself a Denon Avr-1602 with a bunch of speakers :P Anyways..i hooked my dvd player upto my amp with those 3 rca jacks or whatever (red white yellow) and i was wonering if that prevents me from getting DD or DVS..cause i cant seem to get into 5.1 just 5 channel stereo (the DD or DVS lights dont light up..it say analog :S)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The three wire (red/white/yellow) RCA connections won't do the job. The audio portion sent over the red and white wires is not digital.

In order to get the digital audio signal you have to connect the digital audio output from your DVD player into your receiver. This can be either your optical or coaxial digital output (depending on what's available on your player and on your receiver.) You don't need both and the performance is about the same.

To use the optical connection you need a special optical cable. To use the coaxial cable you should run 75ohm coax but you can temporarily get away with any good compatible cable to make sure that it's working because the connectors are RCA type.

Hope this helps. Let us know how this works out.

WillieWolf

Auditioning
alright thnx :) i setup a optical..it says digital not analog..but im still troubleshootin with gettin tha DD and DTS lights on..haha and both my back speakers just stopped workin when i did somethin :S newbie's eh? (im positive all speakers are hooked up right)

WillieWolf

Auditioning
oh crap...when i test tone my speakers..back ones dont work. They are all hooked up coreectly..and they aren't blown..They seemed to stop workin when i turned my Denon past -20ish..what could cause it to just stop sending to my speakers, maybe wire got overloaded or somethin? heh (kinda coincedental that both stopped working)

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Check to make sure the receiver is in "Surround mode." You may have to click on the surround button. Also, to get the DD or DTS lights to light up you have to be playing a DVD with either DD or DTS audio. They won't light up when just playing stereo.

WillieWolf

Auditioning
ya man..my receiver wont even test tone unless in sorround mode..and i was playing a DD dvd :S is it possible that my back speaker thing in the amp is just messed up? thnx for your time by the way :P
Im just gonna return it and grab a new one for free :P ohh well :)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Im just gonna return it and grab a new one for free :P ohh well
I wouldn't. make sure this isn't OPERATOR ERROR before you cost the retailers and manufacturers more money because you don't know what you're doing. Always take time to double check everything, don't just run back to the store.
By returning things that aren't really broken, you make returning actual defective merchandise a pain in the ass for the rest of us. By people returning things that might not even be broken-- retailers are more and more critical and reluctant to take returns.
-V

WillieWolf

Auditioning
I took all those things into consideration..(thnx for typing so much :) ) but the amp was broken.i brought it into the store..like me they did tonetests etc (internal) and it was broken. I got a new one free of chage ...hellllss yea!
btw..i was playing a movie..and the speaker just stopped working :S could it be that maybe my slot for it in my stand is too small?

Bill Geiger

Second Unit
I had the same problem briefly... it may sound stupid, but make sure your speaker wires are not touching other speaker wires. I accidentally had a small string of my monster cable touching just slightly one of my other speaker wires going into the receiver and it would just click off. Whether this is your problem or not... just thought I would give my two cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quinnedunn
Recent bookmarks