What's new

Servicing a rear-projection TV (1 Viewer)

Lee_L

Stunt Coordinator
Is this something that needs to be done often? The guy at Best Buy said about once a year or so they need to be serviced. Is this true? If so, how much does it cost? He's trying to get me to buy the 4-year protection plan for $250, but would that be a waste of money?

StephenHa

Second Unit
all depends on you, most of the service that's done can be done by the consumer (set convergence) they are also supposed to clean the screens, and crt's (but few actually do that) I wouldn't buy best buys warranty since best buy is not a servicer. have you checked at other dealers (like independents that do their own service) ? I worked for a store that was a member of the buying group Brand Source, our prices on average were less than Best Buy plus we actually set the thing up (Best Buy charges extra on top of the delivery to do that). if you want to find a Brand Source dealer they have a website www.brandsource.com I am not a member of that group, most independents are members of a buying group and get good pricing it's just they have a web site

Lee_L

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, well he was saying something about the crt's or something, can those be dealt with by your average DIYer? If everything can be done with some research, I'll do it myself.

I really am set on buying from Best Buy because a friend of mine has a friend who works there, and is getting his discount for me. So I'm saving a few hundred bucks that way.

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
Does the service plan includes replacement of the TV if it can't be fixed?

$250 for 4 years is not bad at all. I paid around the same price for my Panny for one year of converge. Luckily, their warranty dept. replaced my tv, after countless of repairs within the 18 months of ownership.

I really don't believe in service plans because you rarely get to use them. BUT, on a RPTV, there are so many thing that can go wrong.

It maybe work paying $250 and having the peace of mind.

Tim_Stack

Second Unit
I luckily purchased Best Buy's 4 year service plan. I had 4:3 grey bar burn-in after 2 months and they replaced the CRTs. Of course, it was out of ignorance that this happened, but that was the best $250 I ever spent - saved me $1500.

Steven.W.T

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah $250 for a 4 year plan is not bad at all. If its a good plan that is. If anything happens they will fix. If they cant fix they will give you a new tv, right? CC is selling the plans for $419.99 on projections

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
You were extremely lucky that Best Buy replace all of your guns due to burn-ins. As far as I know, (say that I'm wrong), no plan cover burn-ins.

It would have been cheaper to give you another set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks