What's new

Serious S/PDIF output problems... (1 Viewer)

John Parris

Stunt Coordinator
Good god. I've been using this motherboard (MSI KT4 Ultra) with built-in S/PDIF output for about two weeks now for two channel operation. Works like a charm. I put in a DVD... suddenly the world collapses around me-- it doesnt work. Well, let me restate-- it doesnt work PROPERLY... the sound is "choppy" and has notable static. I can't even get it to work with MSI's INCLUDED DVD software (which is crap, I might add). Power DVD won't do the trick either...

I don't think this is a software issue... I'm just missing something... does anyone have any ideas? It's not the cable because I tested it earlier today with my standalone dvd player. I desperately want this to work so that I dont have to install my dreaded Audigy. :frowning:

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

John Parris

Stunt Coordinator
Updated my drivers to the latest from MSI (motherboard) and C-Media (chipset)... no such luck. :angry:

John Parris

Stunt Coordinator
Another peice of information-- it's definately something wrong with the sound chipset or the motherboard itself... but my reciever is definately picking up the DD/DTS signals respectively and decoding all the channels, as all of the speaker indicaters and such light up on the front panel... I'm baffled. :frowning:

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Possible grounding problem on the S/PDIF out connector? I'm assuming it is coax out (RCA jacK) and not fiber optic.

It could also be a bad cable. Have you tried testing the same cable on your standalone DVD player, and see if the problem persists?

Rommel_L

Second Unit
how about checking your sound properties? the reason it probably sounded good in stereo because the default sound output is stereo speakers. try setting it to multi-channel output (5.1, 6.1, 7.1 speakers).

-rl-

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston
Coming from the pro audio world.......I would ask if you have any audio programs or settings that control clocking issues while using the digital connection. Just another brainstorming idea.....but it could be that it is outputing the audio at 48K AND THE RECEIVER IS EXPECTING 44.1K....or something like that. Any audio control panel that allows you to control these parameters for the S/PDIF connection?

Daniel Alan

Agent
this may work:

disable the onboard sound with jumpers on the motherboard and unistall all of the drivers having anything to do with the sound. then re-enable the sound with the jumpers and windows will re-install all of the drivers for you (if you have XP) or re-install the drivers manually (if you have something other than XP)

best of luck to you

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks