What's new

seperates (1 Viewer)

Matt Weldy

Second Unit
What would the best value seperates be. I want it to be as close to equal to what the denon4802 offers. My question is how much will it cost to do so. And what would be the brand I would look for to get a quality system.

Thanks

currently the only ones I have looked at are rotel

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
It's only a value, if you like the results. Moving to separates is a step toward being a more serious enthusiast. Take the time and go out an listen. Recommedations on sites like this are typically so skewed that they are worth little or nothing.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Matt,

When you look at Mark's statement here, he gives you some "gems" of wisdom to work with in your quest for your personal audio heaven.

The HTF forum is a great resource for other's listening experiences and what products each individual would choose. Personally, I am thankful for the advise and expertise many have shared either directly or indirectly.

Yet the bottom line is you need to audition and listen to the advantage that separates can bring. Your comment "I want it to be as close to equal to what the denon 4802 offers," is probably not the way to approach your search.

If your intentions are to go to separates, then I think your goal would be to exceed the performance of your current system, not equal it.

In the past 12 months I went from a receiver based system to separates and my path was buying a separate 2 channel amp and then using the pre-outs on my existing receiver for stereo music listening.

Then I bought a 5 channel amp hooking that up to my receivers pre-outs again, just using the receiver as a pre-pro. Eventually I bought a pre-pro and the rest is history as the receiver is now retired into another room.

I did it in increments where my budget was not taxed to the limit. During that time period, I listened, researched and made decisions appropriately.

The brand names and combinations are like the lottery. Many numbers can come up. However, the difference here is you can control what numbers will be selected.

My best advise is set your budget and be strict about that unless you don't have one. Go into the local audio stores, (not Best Buy or Circuit City) and give a listen to what they offer.

Don't go to just one shop, go to many and listen to Rotel, Parasound, Anthem, Sunfire, Meridian, Krell, B & K and the list goes on and on. Listen to the pieces and I would even suggest taking notes on your impressions of the equipment. When I was auditioning components, I found my notes invaluable as my retention of what I was hearing became convoluted as I went from shop to shop.

I can only tell you that I am very happy that I went from a receiver based system to separates. In my situation, it was time and money well spent.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I recently added 4 Adcom GFA-535 stereo amps. I absolutely love their sound. I am now only using my Marantz SR5000 as a pre/pro until I save up enough for a dedicated pre/pro.
If you are able to go listen, do it. I was not and just went off other's reviews of the amps. I am very, very happy with the sound from the Adcoms.
You will not be disappointed moving up to separates.
Peace Out~:D

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I was a receiver guy since 1989 when I first got into HT/Audio. My first attempt at HT separates is my current setup of the Outlaw 950/770 and I am really impressed with how much more dynamic my system sounds now. I always thought my system sounded good but now its as if someone pulled cotton out of my ears. I would look at the brands mentioned above and the Outlaw if it ever resurfaces.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks