What's new

Watermarks on Budget PD TV Releases? (1 Viewer)

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Besides, the obvious watermark (The Star and flag logo) on most of Alpha's more recent (last few years, they didn't do it originally) Budget DVDs, who else is "guilty" of putting watermark on their Budget PD DVD Release? I'm talking about both collections of particular series and the genere 50-100-150 episode packs? Does Mill Creek put a watermark? What about the others? Are there older releases without them and more recent went them?

I think this subject might have been discussed years and years ago (can't find any old threads) but worth readdressing since we still have a number of these releases going around, and Alpha keeps putting out DVD-Rs.

We already know quality varies (and anyone who wants to chime in about quality as well can do so.) I've also posted a similar thread about features to keep them seperate.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
If Mill Creek ever did watermarks, they have been very well hidden. I don't even know where to look in the large multidisc sets.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
If Mill Creek ever did watermarks, they have been very well hidden. I don't even know where to look in the large multidisc sets.

I don't know if Mill Creek ever did watermarks or not on some of their stuff, I've got a couple of their releases (Scifi and Detectives) and never saw any, but I know things can change. Alpha didn't do watermarks for years, then they started to,usually just at the beginning and end of episodes.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I don't know if Mill Creek ever did watermarks or not on some of their stuff, I've got a couple of their releases (Scifi and Detectives) and never saw any, but I know things can change.

(Speaking in terms of hypotheticals more generally).

I can think of a few possible simple minded ways of "watermarking" dvd video in an invisible manner, especially if shady pd operators don't even bother checking through the video data. The easiest "invisible" nonfunctional way, is to change some of the "filler" data usually at the end of a vobu boundary. Especially if some of those particular sectors are also encrypted. (The unencrypted "filler" data at such boundaries, consists of hexadecimal 0xFF to the end of the sector).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks