What's new

Separates or Receiver in ~600 range? (1 Viewer)

David*RT

Stunt Coordinator
I have a computer room where I'll be running mp3 & cds off the computer. I also listen to to the radio alot. I only have 2 speakers in front of my computer.

Is it better to get an integrated amp with tuner for about $600 or a Marantz 6200 which seems to be a good deal. In the short-term, I don't think I'll have HT in the room, but that could change in the future.

My main goal is audiophile musicality[/].

Could you recommend options for my audiophile goal. I'm willing to spend more $$ if the audio improvement is merited.

Thanks in advance ......:)

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
I would suggest that you look for a really good integrated amplifier. Unless you are going to have HT this instant, it is always better to put off a purchase of a HT receiver for as long as possible. The HT receiver market nowadays has the same life cycle of the computer industry, as there are so many different sound formats and the flooding of the market has lead to ever-changing product lines and price cuts. I would put off the receiver purchase for a while. And besides, with a good sound card and a good integrated amp, you can get phenomenal sound out of 2 speakers for music and movies.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
In the $600 range, you are not going to find many choices in separates, new, IMO.

I don't consider MP3 to be audiophile source material, even with high bitrate.

A good dedicated CD player, a decent receiver and some good speakers will be a good start.

I have the 6200 and bang for the buck, it's hard to beat at this price point. If it will only be 2ch, you might consider an older SR7000 or SR5000 for a little less $$. If you are just looping to the receiver for 2ch and no HT, why not get a good stereo receiver?

There is/was also the Denon 3802/$699 at 6ave.com which is also a fine receiver, but not quite as good with music.

David*RT

Stunt Coordinator
John,
You're correct. For the separates option, I would have to go to Audiogon to get used quality stuff.

Yes, I thought about your recommendation of getting a stereo Marantz receiver, but they go for about the same price sans the HT decoding. So there's more bang for buck to get the whole kit and kaboodle--unless a stereo receiver is MUCH better sonically.

Any thoughts?.......

DavidVTHokie

Stunt Coordinator
A really good setup would be:
MARANTZ SM6100SA 50W X 2 STEREO AMP $ 269.99
MARANTZ ST6000 AM/FM STEREO TUNER $ 169.99

and a great setup would be:
MARANTZ SM17SA REFERENCE 60W X 2CH AMP $ 549.99
MARANTZ ST17 REFERENCE SERIES TUNER $ 399.99

If I were in your position, I'd get the first set, saving a little $ aside for speakers.

These are refurbished prices from accessories4less.com an "authorized" Marantz dealer. I bought from them and am pleased.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
If you dont mind buying used, and you are going to be doing mostly stereo listening for the forseeable future, you can usually find used Anthem, Creek, Musical Fidelity, and Jolida (if you are into tubes) around your $500 price point. Also, in terms of 2 channel sound quality, these will flog the Marantz 6200 any day.

David*RT

Stunt Coordinator
DavidVTHokie,

Are you saying these Marantz separates give better sonic sound than an all-in-one-box like the Marantz 6200, etc?

Don't they have the same innards like what NAD does between its separates and receivers?......

Bob Marker

Stunt Coordinator
David:
For whatever its worth, I have an inexpensive stereo receiver and have found it's sonic performance equal to the much more expensive integrated and/or separate amps (Adcom, Music Fidelity, Classe, Luxman, etc.) I've owned. IMHO, you might be just as well off (and save some money) by going with the Marantz 6200 vs. the separates route.
Bob

Harvey S

Grip
Don't overlook the Harmon-Kardon AVR320 and AVR520 receivers. They get excellent reviews on every dimension including 2ch music quality and H-T features. The AVR520 can be had for $600 as a refurbished unit directly from Harmon Kardon, and slightly more for a brand new unit from dealers like Crazie Eddie. The 320 has same features and lower amplifier power but your application doesn't sound like it needs enormous power.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks