What's new

To all the separate components supporters (1 Viewer)

pinkjosh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vishal
I have been posting on this forum first to improve my knowledge and then to find reviews about Onkyo 9300THX system. I have already selected Onkyo 9300THX as my HTiB however I am still thinking to search more if I could find a better components based system in a price range similar to the 9300THX.

People in this forum mentioned that it would be hard for me to find 7.1 speakers package in a price range of $400-$500 that performs better than what comes with Onkyo 9300THX.

I am just struggling one last time if I could find anything and if nothing then I will go ahead and order 9300THX for me. However I find one deal at Amazon as provided below:

http://www.amazon.com/S426HCS3-Speaker-TX-NR708-Channel-Receiver/dp/B004JOYMBG/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_2

This includes Jamo 5.0 speakers and then Onkyo TR-N608.. (I love this deal).. I know about Onkyo and I love the receiver shown here however I have no idea about Jamo 5.0 speakers shown here... I dont even have a dealer in surrounding area that I can go to and listen them. Can someone advice me for these speakers package? How come the deal is $744 when the standalone TR 708 coming around $600-$700?
I know small speakers can sound better but I am sure that I want to buy the speakers in looking as shown here for Jamo.. What I need to know is about their perforamance.. If not these speakers.. can I have some advices on other similar looking speakers package..and sounding better than what comes with 9300..

Its my 3rd month of analysis and I really need to decide on something..

9300THX on deals are now coming around $770..... and that said, I am not going to spend more than $900 or max close to $1000, if I have to buy separates... (If above mentioned is not a good deal then the reciever I have selected will be Onkyo SR608 coming around $380)

please help..

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The 708 is a much better receiver than the one in the 9300 but I'd still give the nod to the Onkyo speakers, but not sure how much better they would be. I have heard the 9300 in a pretty good setup at a local store a while back and thought it was pretty good sounding.

Jamo has dumped a lot of speakers and packages on the market over the last year or so. Partsexpress.com is also selling individual Jamo drivers and tweeters on the cheap right now. Most of the really good Jamo's are long gone but some of the lessor models are still available. My brother bought the 413/HCS/5.1 system for $199 a while back but decided to get some Boston Acoustic speakers instead. This was an entry level speaker system which wasn't that bad for movies but the tweeter isn't good enough for music in my opinion. I've been trying to get rid of it on craigslist for 6 months.

There are so many choices to decide from it could take years to evaluate them all. IMO, the place to get a separates system from at that price is an Onkyo refurb receiver from ac4l.com the speakers from newegg.com (Polk Monitors) and a sub (BIC/Dayton) from Partsexpress. If you can't design a better package from those places then get the 9300 and be done with it.

But remember, a better, cheaper system will slap you in the face 31 days later .

pinkjosh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vishal
Thanks, I get what you are saying...

Originally Posted by gene c .

So what I understand by the above statement is that If say I dont go for 9300THX and take separates in the price range of around $1000 then the system I will make me down just after a while !!! (with no small speakers... I want to buy front tower speakers) Actually I do think the same also....

One question , what would you think to be a budget price for separates system that makes one proud over HTiB.
You said you heard 9300THX with a good setup.. can you please explain more about your review.... The reviews I read from the cyber space are all praising 9300 like anything.... ( at a price of $800 or so)....

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
One question , what would you think to be a budget price for separates system that makes one proud over HTiB.

"Budget" and "proud" drive conflicting suggestions. So since you're leaving it somewhat open, I'll just have some fun. This is the minimum I'd consider if I had to start from scratch. (If I couldn't afford this, I'd wait until I could):

Onkyo 508: $230 Amazon (I'd want the 708, for the internet mostly; but I could live with this).

Axiom V22s: $500 Axiom internet

Then when I could afford it I'd add a sub:

Hsu STF-2: $350 (or the STF-1 for a small room.)

And then fill in the rest as I could. Moral of the story, I'd spend the money on good speakers.

You mention that you want to buy towers. Thre's no audio reason for that, you can get excellent sound from good bookshelfs and a sub. (I do understand that the towers look cooler. But due to cabinet manufacturing costs you're paying for something you won't hear.)

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
Al is right, the speakers are where you're going to notice a bigger difference. If you're dealing with a budget such as yours, it's better to save a bit on the A/V receiver, and quite honestly anything that Onkyo makes is going to be good equipment. And then dump the money on the speakers.

If you were to do something like the 508 from Accessoriesforless.com it'd be only $189.99 and despite it being refurbished, comes with a full one year warranty.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXSR508/Onkyo/TX-SR508-7.1-Channel-3-D-Ready-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html

Three pairs of these for 7.1 which would be $389.97 total

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290203

This center for $89.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290106

This sub for $299

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780025

And that all gets you in for less than $1k

I don't know much about those Polk speakers, as I own Paradigms. But I would guess that they would be far better than the speakers Onkyo is putting in that HTIB. And that sub would be much, MUCH better.

I suppose teh 12 inch sub could be overkill for those speakers, but if you want low extension, then you need SIZE! :) You can always turn it down.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Originally Posted by pinkjosh .

So what I understand by the above statement is that If say I dont go for 9300THX and take separates in the price range of around $1000 then the system I will make me down just after a while !!! (with no small speakers... I want to buy front tower speakers) Actually I do think the same also....

You said you heard 9300THX with a good setup.. can you please explain more about your review.... The reviews I read from the cyber space are all praising 9300 like anything.... ( at a price of $800 or so)....

What I meant by that statement was this. You said you have been analyzing this decision for 3 months and it's time to pick something. Most places have a 30 day return policy so whatever you finally buy today you're sure to find something better and cheaper 31 days later, when you're stuck with what you bought! That's just the way it is.

I really don't consider the 9300 a htib. It's a receiver and speaker package sold together. At $800 think $250 for the receiver, $400 for the 7 speakers and $150 for the sub.

I heard the 9300 in a stereo store some time ago and they actually had it setup in a dedicated room with all the trimmings. I listened to it for about 20 minutes while relaxing from a days shopping at a nearby mall. The 9300 definitely has better speakers in it than other Onkyo speaker systems and THX even helped with the design. But they aren't Vandersteen-beaters by any means but they were very nice for what they are. I walked away having enjoyed my little 20 minute siesta. Most places that carry the 9300 (like Frys) have it sitting on a shelf with all 7 speakers and the sub up against the receiver. Not an ideal way to audition a speaker package.

pinkjosh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vishal
Thanks all..

I have seen mentioned new egg deals.. one thing that I am sure of is about receiver.. I am going to buy onkyo 708 that is coming at $500 somewhere.. at least onkyo 608 .. ($380)..

The other thing is, I am not going to buy refurbished.. all these may not look logical but lets keep it that way..

so onkyo 708 or lets say 608 is the receiver for me.. having $400 (aprox) invested.

Above mentioned polk speakers.. are nice but 6 speakers cost $480 around...

I am even determined for Klipsch sub as mentioned above that cost $300... (if I go for separates)

all these totals to $1200 (Aprox)..

This proves that Onkyo 9300 speakers can not beat them. They sound better and so is their price..

Just now I have seen a deal on onkyo 9300 coming @ $740.

NOW i think I am nowhere going to have a comparable yet better than 9300 separate system at this cost. (I know I will get better system If I add some $$ to it but this "some" is coming around as more than $400)

I think I am going to order 9300 at this price now....

Please dont think I wasted your valuable time as I was struggling to learn and understand about whether I could get a better component based system at the price range of 9300..

I hope I am not making a foolosh decision ordering 9300... (I still wonder why CNET has not yet reviewed 9300. It mentioned excellent ratings for 9100THX earlier.. is there any specific reason)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I don't think the 9300 for $740 is a foolish decision. An Onkyo 608, 7 Polk Monitor speakers (Monitor 40's, 2 pair of 30's and a CSR 10) from Newegg and a 12" BIC sub from Parts Express will be well over $900.

The 9100 and 9300 have pretty much the same speakers, the 9300's are darker is all. The 9100 came with an Onkyo 606 and the 9300 a 608. Reviews of the 9100 should pertain to the 9300 as well. Not much difference between the two. And there are hundreds of other reviews of the 9300 on other sites including 27 user reviews on Vanns.com. CNET just hasen't gotton around to reviewing it yet. Don't read anything else into it.

pinkjosh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vishal
Thanks Gene C...

You made my day..

Gonna order 9300 Today.. will reply as soon as I set it up and listen to the HD sound and watching HD Video...

pinkjosh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vishal
Hello again..

one last help ..

I am going to order separate speaker wires other than those come with 9300THX. I have decided to go for 12 AWG wire. Will there be any issue using 12 gauge wire with 9300 system or I should order 14 gauge. I have searched for this and I did not find any disadvantages using 12 gauge wires instead of 14 or 16. My subwoofer or front speakers would be between 6-10 feet length whereas surround speaker wire length will be about 30 feet. However I am planning to use 12 gauge wires for connecting all these speakers.

any comments ?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
No disadvantage to using 12g but in all reality 16 would probably be O.K. But since the price difference between 12/14 vs 16g isn't all that much I usually buy 12g. Thicker is better.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Yeah, 12g is overkill; but there's no harm either. You should be using an audio RCA cable for the sub. Even if there is a wire connection, you want to connect to the receiver's LFE-out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks