What's new

Semi-Newbie Shopping for A/V processor with really good sound - help wanted (1 Viewer)

mathiasmingus

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt Cooney
I am somewhat of a newbie looking for some advice for a new home theater processor (and any other wisdom). I have a very good 2-channel system that I am cannibalizing to make a very good single a/v system, but not a cost-is-no-object system. I am not overly concerned about video quality (I don’t have any home theater today, and still use a tube TV!), but I really want to maintain the best sound possible – for CDs and concerts on DVDs, Blu-ray etc. From what I gather, HDMI is a must if buying at this time. Here is what I have so far:

Aragon 8008 Mk II dual mono amp (2 x 200) for front speakers
Acurus 3x100 amp for center and rear speakers
B&W 803 Mk II Matrix main front speakers
B&W MTM matching front speaker
Processor – TBD
Player- TBD
Rear speakers - TBD

I’m thinking the low-$2000 price range of the Rotel 1570 or Marantz 8003 as the maximum I would spend for a processor, but I would love to get a used one for less or a new less expensive product if it has really good sound quality (Emotiva? Outlaw?). What is the best solution when sound is the focus? An older top-of-the-line processor without HDMI? What about a nice tubed pre-amp with a “bypass” for a lesser home theater processor? (Not sure I understand that option – it means you can just use HDMI for video, and the analog preamp for audio? That blows the audio benefit of HDMI for concerts DVDs correct?)

Any guidance from ye-who-know-more would be appreciated. Thanks. Matt

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
Matt,

There's no reason to cannibalize your existing system. It's usually fairly straight forward to merge a surround-sound system into an existing quality two-channel system.

If you haven't already, you might read through the thread at http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/297694/combining-two-channel-and-surround

mathiasmingus

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt Cooney
Thanks Selden. I'm thinking: What is the point? I have a Bryston BP-20 solid state preamp, a Rotel RCD 1070 CD player, and a Nikko Gamma tuner for my existing 2-channel system. All good stuff, but I'm thinking that a quality new a/v processor and quality new multi-format player should give me the same sound quality without the need to have so many separate components. Is that a bad assumption?

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
Matt,

Unfortunately, the relative quality of the audio is a decision only your ears can make.
If you have a local A/V dealer who will lend you some appropriate equipment for in-home auditioning, that would be ideal.

Both Rotel and Marantz make quality equipment. Personally, I'm biased toward Marantz -- I have an AV8003. If you're looking for features, though, Denon and Onkyo/Integra have more. I think the Integra 80.1 would be in your price range.

In general, tuners in receivers and pre/pros tend to have lower sensitivity and selectivity than stand-alone tuners. The clarity of the newer Hybrid-Digital radio stations may more than make up for that in your area. The Marantz pre/pro includes an HD-capable tuner; it's an extra-cost option in the Integra. As best I can tell, the Rotel doesn't include a tuner.

Blu-ray players can play CDs, DVDs and BDs. The Oppo BDP-80 and -83 players can also play SACD and DVD-A discs. (I have a Sherwood BDP-5004, which can't.) A surprising number of CDs are actually recorded in 20bit HDCD format, which the Marantz pre/pro can decode. I don't see any mention of that in the Rotel or Integra manuals. The Marantz and Integra pre/pros can also decode SACD DSD digital audio when it's sent over HDMI. Rotel's pre/pro can't.

Another feature in the Marantz and Integra pre/pros that's missing from Rotel's is Audyssey room correction. While manipulation of audio tends to be anathema to most stereophiles, Audyssey can be quite effective for compensating for infelicities in the listening environment. The Integra implementation is more sophisticated than what's in the Marantz pre/pro.

A limitation that the Marantz pre/pro has is that it cannot decompress the new lossless Blu-ray DD and DTS audio formats while also applying the various matrix audio operations (Prologic, CircleSurround, Audyssey, etc). BD players can decompress the lossless formats, though, and send multichannel LPCM over HDMI to the pre/pro, though, so that's not a serious problem.

The Integra supports a 9.2 speaker configuration: front high or wide speakers plus a second subwoofer. Rotel supports second center and subwoofer speakers, while the Marantz is only 7.1. Marantz and Integra both have XLR outputs in addition to RCA outputs. The Rotel pre/pro has only RCA outputs.

I hope these comparisons help a little.

p.s. I corrected my description of the Rotel's speaker configuration. s.

mathiasmingus

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt Cooney
Selden - thank you for your effort in making this thoughtful reply. As I get deeper into this, it kills me that I can be prepared to drop some serious cash, and STILL need to weigh and balance compromises! Matt

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
Matt,

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, there are compromises to be made at all price levels in the AV market. Most of the companies which cater to the very high-end segment are quite small, for example, and are having a lot of trouble keeping up with the current rapid changes in technology.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks