What's new

Season Finale!!!!! Sopranos Show #13 "WhiteCaps" (1 Viewer)

MikeSh

Stunt Coordinator
IMO, all in all a boring season. Especially this last episode.
I did like the way he did the lawyer with the reputedly "Mobbed Up" Dean Martin music. I did this with an old neighbor many years ago. Although I blasted several hundred watts of acid rock at them.
Otherwise:
:thumbsdown:

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Quick question....when did Chris tell Adriana that they whacked Ralph?? I don't remember.....Because when she was with the FBI agent she told her that Ralph was calling her when Chris was in rehab.
That's not what Adriana told the FBI agent. She said that Chris told her Ralph was on drugs too and was probably bottomed out somewhere and that they should do an "intervention" for him too when he finally shows up again. And she said that Ralph's second in command, some big fat guy, was calling her every day while Chris was in rehab.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
one small insignificant question though:

DID JUNIOR DIE ON HIS COUCH?
I suspect that the answer to this depends on the health of Dominic Chianese when they begin filming season 5. I think Chase is covering his bets to avoid a potentially awkward script in the event of another cast tragedy between seasons.

Blu

Screenwriter
Excuse me.....ahem....I remember when S3 came out and really didn't live up to the hype of 1,2 that everyone said, "It is laying the groundwork for S4"
Now that S4 is over and done with I can say that it didn't resolve hardly any S3 storylines at all, did little in laying groundwork for S4, and was the worst of the 4 seasons.
The PC machine got ahold of this show and ripped the balls off of it. I hate the whole political correctness thing, I really really do. This was a great show, it was violent and showed a fictionalized family the way you would expect it do. Now you hardly even see any strippers anymore.
Pathetic.

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
I thought it was a great episode and so well-acted. I especially liked "Layla" playing on Tony's radio as he pulled up to the house and ran over his golf clubs. I almost expected a Ray Liotta voiceover. :)

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
This was a great show, it was violent and showed a fictionalized family the way you would expect it do. Now you hardly even see any strippers anymore. Pathetic
A man being cut to pieces, his head and hands placed in a bag (and shown on screen) and thrown off of a cliff is PC? A gang of black kids waste a crack house and murder an attendant or two? Christopher shoots and kills a supposed police officer in the first show of the season? Ralphie taking it up the ass with a dildo being called a bitch by Janice? Valentina strutting her naked ass across the screen in more than one episode? Two hired killers are gunned down to cover up an assasination attempt on one of the top mob bosses? Yes the political correctness of the show is just killing me here.

Everyone is entitled to thier opinion here but this season has been every bit as visceral and violent as those in the past. The violence was simply not in the forefront of the story or as "in your face" so many choose to ignore it and say the show has lost its "edge". The focus was Tony's home life, for better or worse. Whether you like it or not. It was not about guns, bullets and strippers. The mob took the backseat this year.

Someone mentioned earlier how this season was a great "mirror" to season 2 except it casts a different reflection. I completely agree with that. Instead of the viewer watching the happenings of the mob family the focus was turned to that of Tony's true family. That change has polarized much of the Sopranos fanbase. Understandably so! I think however that this season included some excellent character development and storytelling.

For three Seasons we have witnessed Tony's teetering act with the two families and how he tries to manage both lives and stay sane. This season we finally see it all blow up in his face. Even worse we see it happen in the one place that he REALLY cares about. His home life. I found it to be compelling television personally. This season of course had some dull entries (The Columbus Day ep comes to mind) but the same can be said of the Sopranos of old.

For the most part I think the setup of Tony's home life deteriorating paid off nicely at the end. The performances were great and every scene with Tony and Carmella just made it harder and harder to watch because the status quo WAS changed so irrevocably! Falco was amazing in her performance and I couldn't even believe it was Carmella I was watching! I do agree however that Furio being there and confronting Tony would have added another nice tense layer to the proceedings.

I would rank this season as even with season 3 (which had a horrible finale IMO) I look forward to season 5 to see how it all ends.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I think alot of viewers jumped in because of the hype on the show. THe series does not correspond to typical network show stories, it does'nt have pat endings or conventional ways of moving the stories, it does'nt feel the need to have a huge cliffhanger. None of the season have done this. In fact if you look at past seasons the momentus change occured in the ep before the last. Season 2 had Pussy getting whacked. Season 4 had Tony and Carm splitting. And I agree with a previous poster if you did'nt see this as huge, you do not understand the series

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I also have enjoyed this season. Easily as good as last season IMHO-there were only 2 episodes I didnt like this year.

My only disappointment was that we didnt see the "Snow Episode" come back to haunt Chris and Paulie which I was suree would happen. Odd that all this time and nothing has come of the situation.

Is next year definitely the last?

Eric Finn

Auditioning
Did anyone else think that Tony was going to have another "episode" when he was getting the lunch meat out of the fridge after the one big argument with Carm?

I saw a lot of subtle references like that to past episodes and plot-lines in last nights episode.

All in all it was an ok season. Not great, but ok. Afterall I did keep watching it each week.

Later,
Eric

Lee L

Supporting Actor
My wife thought for sure that Junior was going to buy it on the couch. It seems like he came back by asking Bobby to go look for the envelope to get Bobby and Janice apart.

Also, I can see the divorce as a huge deal but it seems like it should have been earlier in the season. Maybe Chase just expanded the timeline of events in his head for season 4 into 2 years when HBO begged him to do season 5.

I do think they hyped it a notch too much last week, really giving the idea that someone big was getting it this week and the shameless shot of the guys shooting into the SUV. Maybe HBO stole the people who have been doing the promos for NBC's hit shows.

MikeM

Screenwriter
Bada-Boring. :thumbsdown:
This season was a complete letdown to me. Too many episodes features characters that were introduced and discarded in the same episode. For example, the story line of the attorney selling his seaside house was interesting, but hardly the type of story line suited for a finale. He's introduced and shown the door.
To me, the season as a constant, "I'm sure it'll get better next week", but it never really did.
This show completely "jumped the shark" at that Columbus Day Parade episode....better luck next year. :frowning:

Ivan Lindenfeld

Second Unit
UNCLE JUNIOR IS...
Alive.
I also thought that when he closed his eyes that might be it, especially considering the framing of the shot (medium close up) which is a typical quiet death shot.
But, I think he was just appalled and disgusted by the Janice/Bobby lovefest. I know I was. Janice is creepy. Her kissing on Bobby was creepy. Brrrrrrrr.
So, I think he's alive but Chase and Co. were definitely playing with us there. :)
I really wish people would stop expecting linear storytelling on this show. It has never been there, why start now? Every story point that is relevant to the movement of the plot or characterization but is not on screen is logical and can be deduced. That's the beauty of the artistry of The Sopranos as storytelling. It's like a book, not a TV show.
Edie deserves every acting award on the planet for her performance. Bravo!

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Many peole have called this past season, boring. I disagree. I thought it was very good with some very funny stuff. This season was more about families and relationships, rathering than "whacking". The groundwork for this was laid out in Season 3 when Tony and Carmela went to therapy together.

I can't wait for the 5th season, and will be sad that it will be the last season.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
To address the song "Layla" isn't it about how john lennon stole mcartney's wife or something ? (I know I'm way off)...it has to do with stealing away someone's wife, which is very fitting given the subsequent events!

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I couldn't stand any of the story points with Furio and Carmella. I really liked the Furio character until he started whining for Carmella. He's supposed to be this big tough guy to do the dirty work and here he is whining over some woman. Gag me. No real mobster muscle would have fallen apart like that. Hopefully he's gone for good or if he does resurface he gets taken out. They screwed that character up big time.

Pete M

Stunt Coordinator
To address the song "Layla" isn't it about how john lennon stole mcartney's wife or something ? (I know I'm way off)...it has to do with stealing away someone's wife, which is very fitting given the subsequent events!
The song is about Patti, George Harrison's wife, that Clapton had a crush on. Clapton and Patti later married, with, I suppose, George's blessings. (George played at their wedding)

As for tonight's episode... I was surprise, but like what other's said, it should have happened later in the episode. They could have left it hanging a bit for next season, even if Chase isn't into the cliffhanger thing. So-so season, definitely not boring, but not up to par with previous seasons.

Is it confirmed anywhere when season 5 begins?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Layla is about Eric Clapton lusting after George Harrisons wife Patti. She eventually divorced Harrison and went with Eric. Guitar solo is by Dwayne Alman because Eric found it too hard to play the riff/solo and sing at the same time.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I couldn't stand any of the story points with Furio and Carmella. I really liked the Furio character until he started whining for Carmella. He's supposed to be this big tough guy to do the dirty work and here he is whining over some woman. Gag me. No real mobster muscle would have fallen apart like that. Hopefully he's gone for good or if he does resurface he gets taken out. They screwed that character up big time.
I agree 100%. I really like Furio and they ruined his character. If they wanted to write him out, they should've taken him out during a hit or something.

This season was a real disappointment for me too. I love The Sopranos because of the action. I like the family interaction also but when that's the only thing in the show, it turns into a soap opera. I own all 3 seasons on DVD but season 4 will be a difficult purchase for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks