What's new

Sears and K-mart merging! (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm surprised that KMart is the controlling company. I'd figure that the company most recently fighting for its life, struggling against bankruptcy, would not be controlling player.

Remarkably, after the merger, they're still smaller than Target and Wal-Mart.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Rats. :angry: This means that K-Mart will control the Orchard Supply Hardware (OSH) chain. Sears at least had the good sense to let OSH manage itself. Indeed Sears hoped to re-learn the hardware business from OSH.

MikeSerrano

Second Unit
So does this mean I'll be able to buy Craftsman tools at my local K-Mart? Oh wait... that closed down two years ago. Well, at least I can still go to the local Sears. Oh yeah... I forgot that closed down last year.

Well, here's hoping that this merger will bring some life back into these failing companies.

-Mike

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
LOL - Super Wal-Mart opened in our vacated super K-Mart and our Sears is tiny, so I wonder how this will affect towns. I guess they'll just build another monster store to compete with Wal-Mart and Target, etc.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I can't figure out why Kmart would want Sears, except perhaps for all their mall locations. It would make Kmart an anchor in many malls (at least around here).

If they're combining them into one chain, I wonder which we'll lose? We have both a Kmart and a big new Sears at the mall.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

To answer my own question, it appears they're hoping for the exact opposite: moving Sears away from their mall base by converting some free-standing Kmart's into Sears stores.

I still can't really imagine that anything significant can come from the merging of two retail dinosaurs, except for them to become one large dinosaur that can become extinct all at once.

Kevin_Spradley

Stunt Coordinator
Even though K-mart is the controlling company, I heard that the official name of the corporation will be Sears Holdings Corporation.

Edit: Just read the article and the second paragraph mentions this. Oh well for bringing new information to the topic.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
While driving to work this morning, I heard on NPR that some Sears mall stores will be closed as the result of this merger. The owners of malls are shaking in their boots.

Will Sears get the "blue light special" too?

Why not rename the new company K-ears?

Martha Stewart is behind all of this. :D

Shawn C

Screenwriter

That's cool. I would like to be able to go to a Sears without having to go to the mall.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
There's a couple stores in Stockton, CA called S-Mart. I'll have to take a picture next time I'm down there.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member

I hear you there. I'm tired of stepping foot into the mall (say to go to the video game store or Waldenbooks or something) and being hawked cellphones as I walk through the mall.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Will we get to see the Sears tower renamed the K-Mart Tower? :D

Seriously tho, there's a petition for everything, one of you should go to petition online to get the new stores named S-mart.

Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks