What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

SeaQuest (1 Viewer)

Gabe

Auditioning
I want SeaQuest DSV on DVD ASAP!!!

It's #10 on the most wanted list at tvshowsondvd.com

you guys go there and vote for it.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
So are you saying you want just the first and second season (when the show was actually called seaQuest DSV) or are you including the third season (seaQuest 2032) in this? :)

Frankly, I don't much care. I've been wanting these, Earth 2 and Captain Power for a long time now.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
That should be easy enough to do in two sets (the first season and then the second and third). They couldn't be called season sets...more like volumes (like Futurama).

Sidenote: wasn't this an Amblin/Universal production? If so, then NBC/Universal should be keen on putting it out on disc because they'd reap most of the profits.

The only extras I'd really like to see on there (and I know it's a longshot) are interviews with the producers re: all the changes between and during the seasons and the original promos.

Sci-Fi Universe had a nice two page article many years ago about the crew exodus at the end of year one. Evidently, someone in the production offices didn't want to be compared to Trek. He retorted that wasn't a problem since seaQuest wasn't good enough to be compared to Trek.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I'd only buy the first season of SeaQuest DSV. A lot of the actors I liked on the show (Stephanie Beacham, Stacy Haiduk, Royce Applegate, etc) didn't return for the second year and I don't remember the stories being as good. Plus I thought Roy Scheider and Stephanie Beacham had great chemistry.

Captain Power would be an instant buy! :emoji_thumbsup:

todd s

Senior HTF Member
The reason I had heard for the 2nd season changes was to make it more of an action/Baywatch. Thus the more swimsuit & monster of the week stories.

Gabe

Auditioning
After season 1, they moved production to Orlando, FL. From the Universal Studios here in L.A. to the Universal Studios in Florida.

My main reason for getting is that I wanna own everything done by the late Jonathan Brandis. He played Lucas Wolenczek, the teenage genius on SeaQuest DSV.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Todd: from what I remember, everyone claimed moving the show would provide for more location shows in season 2. Unfortunately, most of the location shows turned out to be complete drivel (the giant alligator, for starters). However, there were some standout shows in S2, including the movie opener (Daggers) and the finale (with Mark Hamill and Kent McCord).

Yeah, the massive cast revision was to make the show more young skewing. It *might* have worked if any of those characters were actually given anything meaningful to do. 90% of the season is meaningless.

The only person from S1 I truly missed was Stephanie Beacham. She worked extremely well with Roy Schieder and Jonathan Brandis. There was a father-son relationship between Bridger and Lucas and then a quasi boyfriend-girlfriend thing going with Westphalen and Lucas. It could have been very interesting.

I still maintain the second half of season one is probably the show's high point. High concept, sci-fi, good production values, quality scripts...I'm particularly partial to the finale. Very tight, tense and well done.

Dewitte

Stunt Coordinator
Keep in mind that the biggest competition in that timeslot was ABC's Lois & Clark, which drew big numbers from younger audiences. Unfortunately, behind-the-scenes politics made that series take a creative nosedive in its second year as well.

De

Deb Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
I remember reading at the time that Stephanie Beacham was not dropped from the show, but chose not to make the move - her daughter was in school at the time, and she didn't want to uproot her, and did not want to be separated from her.

Many fans still refer to the female lead in the second season as "the Wendy-beast." The last few episodes of the final season weren't shown on NBC, but were shown on SciFi - the final episode was actually one of the most interesting of the season.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I'd probably get the Season 1, but boy did this show go down the sinkhole the 2nd year. In the third season's credit, it really seemed like they were trying to get it back on course, but it was already too far gone.

The funniest thing about all this, is that they were trying to appeal to a young audience, but they really already had that. This was a very popular show among young people the first year; I don't know why they thought those changes were necessary. I was 16, and I knew many other teenagers at my school who were fans of the show, and none of us could believe how stupid it got that 2nd year.

That's got to be one of the biggest drops in quality between seasons in TV history. (Maybe I'm exaggerating :D) Seriously, though, it would be cool to have Season 1 on DVD.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I actually liked the darker, more militaristic tone of 2032 (S3). It gave the show a grittier, more ragged look to go along with the storylines and new year. S1 was very, very antiseptic (almost like TNG, in a way) and S2 leaned more toward DS9 with darker elements, but still clean most of the time. 2032 had so much going against it there was no chance the show was going to be successful.

Adding Michael Ironside and Elise Neal was a major plus. Getting rid of S2's dead weight (Dr. Smith, for one) was also a bright spot. IIRC, S3 aired on a Wednesday night. Maybe on Saturday it would have done better.

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor
I'm actually rewatching series on SPACE, last week Daggers Pt 2 was on. I would actually buy all three as long as they are aren't overpriced and have some cool features.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Which reminds me: if these sets ever do come out, "To Be or Not To Be" (the pilot) and "Daggers" (S2 premiere) had better be the full 90 minute shows and not the butchered syndication versions.

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor
I watched the Season 2 finale yesterday. I really hope this comes on DVD soon. C'mon Universal....we want to give you are money. Put on DVD!

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
You can count me in on this one. This show was one of my favourites. While the show has yet to be given any consideration by Universal who has released such mediocre hits as Buck Rogers whereas Seaquest had stronger episodes.

With the Death of star Jonathan Brandis I wonder why Universal didn't release the series as a special tribute to this fine actor.

I must say though that I loved the first season the best. Season 2 seemed to be more of a monster of the week and while Season 3 proved to be on the fast track, the actors were pretty weak considering some of them were holdovers from the p[revious seasons. The series should have started over with new actors and characters. Michael Ironside has always been one of my favourite actors but the other actors of the third season seemed to drag down his fine talents.

I wonder if Gord Lacey has any information about this.:frowning:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

The holdovers were: Henderson, Ford, Lucas, Dagwood and Bridger for some eps. IIRC, Ortiz and O'Neill were both booted after S2 (Brody died in S3).

It's amazing that the same people behind Farscape were behind seaQuest. There's more charactertization in one eppy of Farscape that Lonnie Henderson had in 1 1/2 years.

And if seaQuest ever does come to disc, let's make sure the eppy's are in order, production order, please? I have not and will not get Earth 2 because Universal couldn't be bothered to put the show in chronological order. No order, no buy.

Rick P

Supporting Actor

Actually, O'Neill, Ford, Lucas (and Darwin!) are the only REGULAR characters that made it thru all three seasons...

Bridger only made two(three?) appearances in S3.

Ben Krieg also resurfaced in S3.

Dagwood, Piccolo and Henderson made it till the end (s2 & S3) and Brody was killed off (as was Fredricks).

I'm sure it will be released soon, I've just about finished making my sets on shiny purple platters (it never fails...)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks