Seamless Surround?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brent_Sch, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Brent_Sch

Brent_Sch Stunt Coordinator

When people set out to accomplish this method of HT sound do they usually buy three bookshelf speakers or does it make more sense to buy three center channels? I've seen some discussion of it here on the HTF and I gather the best way to accomplish it is to have three of the exact same speakers but does it matter if you have three bookshelves or three centers?

Thanks

2. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

Most mainstream speaker companies, will have a center channel that will be designed to match a given set of main speakers for movies and other multichannel playback material.
    I have seen people doing this with three identical speakers across the front, with good results for Home Theatre only applications. But it's certainly not necesary for a seamless soundstage.
    Also, pay atten to what the system will be primarilly used for. My setup is used for 60% music. Having a center channel the same size as my main speakers would be overkill and impractical (and would probably get me divorced) [​IMG]. But I need good, main speakers for music listening. So, when I went shopping, I bought the best speakers I could afford and then settled on the matching center channel.

3. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

When i went speaker shopping, i wanted a seamless soundstage which, too me, meant matching the drivers... I run PSB Stratus Silveri 's and a C6i center channel. All the drivers across the front stage are identical. Of course, the front left&right speakers are towers though and the center is a typical center speaker. The drivers match.

4. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

IMO you wouldn't want MTM style center speakers for the front 3. So, I would suggest going with 3 bookshelf style speakers.

Keep in mind that the MTM style center speaker was 'invented' out of a desire for aesthetics, not performance.

5. Brent_Sch

Brent_Sch Stunt Coordinator

So if you order bookshelves all the way...how do people do the center channel? Do they mount it, hang it, or can they turn it on their side and do as a normal center?
    Thanks [​IMG]

6. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam