What's new

Seamless Surround? (1 Viewer)

Brent_Sch

Stunt Coordinator
When people set out to accomplish this method of HT sound do they usually buy three bookshelf speakers or does it make more sense to buy three center channels? I've seen some discussion of it here on the HTF and I gather the best way to accomplish it is to have three of the exact same speakers but does it matter if you have three bookshelves or three centers?

Thanks

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
Most mainstream speaker companies, will have a center channel that will be designed to match a given set of main speakers for movies and other multichannel playback material.
I have seen people doing this with three identical speakers across the front, with good results for Home Theatre only applications. But it's certainly not necesary for a seamless soundstage.
Also, pay atten to what the system will be primarilly used for. My setup is used for 60% music. Having a center channel the same size as my main speakers would be overkill and impractical (and would probably get me divorced) :). But I need good, main speakers for music listening. So, when I went shopping, I bought the best speakers I could afford and then settled on the matching center channel.

Chip E

Screenwriter
When i went speaker shopping, i wanted a seamless soundstage which, too me, meant matching the drivers... I run PSB Stratus Silveri 's and a C6i center channel. All the drivers across the front stage are identical. Of course, the front left&right speakers are towers though and the center is a typical center speaker. The drivers match.

RichardH

Supporting Actor
IMO you wouldn't want MTM style center speakers for the front 3. So, I would suggest going with 3 bookshelf style speakers.

Keep in mind that the MTM style center speaker was 'invented' out of a desire for aesthetics, not performance.

Brent_Sch

Stunt Coordinator
So if you order bookshelves all the way...how do people do the center channel? Do they mount it, hang it, or can they turn it on their side and do as a normal center?

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
IMO you wouldn't want MTM style center speakers for the front 3. So, I would suggest going with 3 bookshelf style speakers.

Keep in mind that the MTM style center speaker was 'invented' out of a desire for aesthetics, not performance.
I agree 100%. MTM centers are for apearance purposes only. It is best to have 3 identical speakers up front, all the same height and distance from the listening position. If you use bookshelf speakers as I have, place all of them upright, including the center speaker. Notice on Video Essentials when they picture the R, L and center speakers, the center is placed upright and not on it's side. This is the way it should be to get a seamless soundstage. With TV's being so large sometimes, we have to find ways around 3 identical speakers. It's not practical to have a tower sitting in front of the screen blocking the view. That's why I use small bookshelf speakers and a sub. This way, I can get the best sound and the seamless stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks