What's new

"Sea of Love: SE" ,5/6/03 (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

CraigL

Screenwriter
Nope....the Lorraine Bracco scenes were never released on any format.

The only thing I can think of is that they didn't get her permission (assuming they would need it).
Really sucks because it added another dimension the Pacino character.

As a side note, has anyone ever noticed how godawful the ADR is on this movie? It's so horribly obvious and there's even a terrible artificial echo added to the scene where Pacino and Barken converse in front of the fruit market. The worst part? It comes in halfway through the scene.

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
I know the oar is 1.85:1 but was this a matted widescreen? I have the fullscreen LD and I just wanted to know if this was a pan and scan or a open matte.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have my dvd copy, but haven't watched it yet. It's funny to me how this latest release has a new anamorphic transfer and some extras like a commentary, deleted scenes and feature, but it cost five dollars less (MSRP)than the first release which was full frame with virtually no features to speak of.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There are just too many dvd releases for the reviewers available to do them. So they pick and choice which dvds to review. In the month of May there is a bunch of dvd releases and doing a decent review is so time consuming.

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Quoted from a review at Amazon.....

Beware - full screen version cropped to fit widescreen, May 9, 2003
Reviewer: from Tarzana, ca United States This version (Collector's Edition)
is worse than the previous pan & scan full screen version. Here the studio cropped the top and the sides of the full screen version to make it fit anamorphic widescreen format, so you lose more of the picture than the full screen version.
Universal is deceptive in not saying it is a matted widescreen version Buyer beware!
This is not a true widescreen and doesent even say that the original apect ratio was modified to fit 16x9 tvs.
What's the deal with the new version's AR? Is this guy wrong.... has anyone been able to confirm...? I'm interested in picking it up (although it is nowhere to be found in this area).

Herb.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The AR is correct. Like many people, the reviewer at Amazon just doesn't understand the common method by which movies framed at 1:85:1 are filmed. The full screen version does show additional image, but it's image that was never intended to be seen.

To answer an earlier question: The LD was released in two versions simultaneously: full screen and matted widescreen. The previous full screen DVD was, I believe, a port of the full screen LD transfer. The new DVD represents such a dramatic improvement in image quality that it might as well be a different movie.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks