What's new

SD signals on HD TVs (1 Viewer)

John MB

Auditioning
I'm looking at 42-45" LCD TVs. I want to get the works, HDMI, 1080p; for DVDs, PC and Xbox games, HD cable. But also for regular SD TV. I keep reading in reviews that this is an area where flat screen technology is overqualified and the results suffer. But I am reading here in this forum that many flat screen TVs allow for many different signals including lowly SD. Does it look ok? Could someone clear this up for me?

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Yeah, you'll be alright. What happens with SOME of these displays is, if they're not well made...some manufacterers like to cut a few corners here and there. ;)

Try to demo as best you can any sets that you're interested in. See if you can your dealer to pipe in various signals ranging from crappy analog, to SD, to HD. Take your DVD player and Xbox with you and plug 'em in and see how it looks.

Most dealers are amenable to this. If they aren't, don't do business with them. Good luck! :)

ScottHH

Stunt Coordinator
Compared to the HD feed, the SD is never going to look good.
On really big HDTVs, you have the additional problem of blowing up the SD feed way beyond its reasonable limits as well.

I'm assuming you are looking at a 16:9 LCD.
A 42" widescreen will give you a 34" pillar-boxed 4:3 image
A 45" widescreen will give you a 37" pillar-boxed 4:3 image

I think these are still reasonable sized for SD material. It will never look as good as the HD stuff, but it should be quite watchable.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
There is, of course, extra options like buying a DVDO Iscan device and such, for a boost. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks