What's new

Screen Burn (1 Viewer)

eamas

Auditioning
I want to get an Xbox for my new 65 inch HDTV, however I am concerned

about screen burn, should I be?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
GReetings

If both the XBOX and the RPTV instructions tell you to avoid playing video games on such TV sets ... don't you think they might be onto something?

Yes there is a danger, but if you keep the play time limited and the contrast low ... you can play for at least a short time. You also have to keep an eye out for the wrong kind of games ... those with plenty of static images.

Bear in mind if you damage the TV, this is not covered under warranty. It is called abuse.

Regards

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Michael, as usual, is right. But if it were me, I'd never consider connecting a game console to an RPTV. You could do as Michael suggests, but there's always that danger. The thing is, avoid stationary image fields.

I think you'd be much better off by reserving your XBox for a direct-view set in the house. And even then, you have to take the same precautions as you would with an RPTV--keep that contrast low and avoid prolonged exposure to stationary image fields. (But direct-views can withstand this sort of treatment a little better than RPTVs.)

Ultimately, I'd opt for a computer monitor.

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
Not to quibble, but the issue with screen burn is not between rear-projection and direct-view. The issue has to do with phosphor-based displays, which means plasma and CRT.

There are direct-view sets that don't have a screen burn problem (LCDs), as well as RPTVs that don't (DLP- and LCD-based sets).

Today, of course, nearly all RPTVs ARE CRT-based, but that will change over the next few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks