What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about…™ Children of Divorce – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Children of Divorce is an interesting film, from a number of angles.

It's a late 1927 silent from Paramount, starring Clara Bow and Gary Cooper, directed by Frank Lloyd and with some (coming to the rescue)help to re-shoot, shoot and re-edit, Josef von Sternberg, which adds an extra layer and a reason to screen the film.

Struck from an LoC restoration from 2010, the new Blu-ray looks generally beautiful. Titles are held as opposed to running footage, which presumably saved something.

Score, by the Mont Alto Orchestra works nicely.

An interesting silent, released by Flicker Alley on a burned disc, which should not frighten anyone off.

Image – 4

Audio – n/a

Pass / Fail – Pass

Works in projection - Yes

Works up-rezzed to 4k - Yes

Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
This came out a few years ago in a deluxe Blu-Ray set with a booklet of essays, which I have. It's a fascinating and at times really compelling film to watch, as well as breathtakingly beautiful. Clara Bow is extraordinary in it. Whenever she's on the screen, the film really comes to life. She doesn't appear to be acting as much as being. She has a sense of urgency and authenticity that envelops the film, bringing everything to a higher level. Some of the lighting, that sense of a shadowy, nebulous glow that embraces Ms. Bow's face against a white wall or in a window, reminds me of Evelyn Brent in The Docks of New York, and may be JVS' contribution, as well as the purity of Ms. Bow's performance, which is unlike any other of hers that I have seen.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yup, a 2016 BD release that's in my collection.

1691619283310.png
1691619296830.png

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The copy I was able to obtain is probably a re-issue w/o the booklet, and MOD. It’s about cost, and understandable.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
The copy I was able to obtain is probably a re-issue w/o the booklet, and MOD. It’s about cost, and understandable.

Flicker Alley did that with a few of their earlier titles (one that comes to mind is The Curtis Harrington Short Film Collection). I imagine they likely have un-advertized limited press runs for the intial releases, and once those are gone, they go to MOD BD-Rs.

Like Crawdaddy, I have the earlier BD/DVD combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks