What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (2 Viewers)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Bryan, regarding the Con of Wrath, I’ll never forget Shatner on the Merv Griffin show promoting the film with Nimoy and Kelley and Bibi Besuch. As Shatner is Canadian, he made a crack that it should the Roth of Can, pronouncing Wrath like Roth.

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Hey Bryan, regarding the Con of Wrath, I’ll never forget Shatner on the Merv Griffin show promoting the film with Nimoy and Kelley and Bibi Besuch. As Shatner is Canadian, he made a crack that it should the Roth of Can, pronouncing Wrath like Roth.
He pronounced it "The Roth of Can" ...

He also said (Bibi) had "one of the besht as(s)tronauts in the country!":D!

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
1673283815145.png

The Enterprise relaunch and the Rise of the Federation story continues...in a book that moves at a very brisk pace while giving each of the Enterprise main cast something meaty to do. There are a myriad call backs to the series which may require a series refresher, but it's ultimately not 100% necessary; enough background information is contained in the novel to catch the reader up.

My chief complaint in the prior novels in the relaunch was that they felt like homework. New characters and situations in every chapter which relegated the crew to guest stars in their own story. The new characters here are limited, leading to much more time for our crew and the seemingly dozens of things happening in this relaunch world.

It still amazes me that this relaunch world is so rich with characters we've never seen in live action, yet feel like folks who have been part of Trek lore for decades. Tobin Dax (admittedly, we've heard of Tobin before), Takashi Kimura (mentioned only in a screen graphic), Iloja (from a race not seen until halfway through TNG) and...spoiler alert....the freaking Deltans. It has taken a number of novels to get to this point, but Bennett is running full force with every piece of the universe. A true delight to behold.

I'm not forgetting the similarities between what the Vulcans go through in this story to some elements of our real world. I'm choosing to not get into any depth here to avoid the forum's rules on politics.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Took me a second to figure out that was Micheal Okuda talking in the tweet. I think we all agree with that!
Unfortunately, I don't think I would ever like to meet Mike in person.

I don't care that 95% of his posts are of political nature in many times an angry, cursing way (I realize he combats trolls, but many people have no such motives). He chews people out for not masking currently. And blocks them when they suggest that maybe we are beyond that.

Though I respect his work on Star Trek immensely, I'd hate to live in his shoes.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
A friend and I recently watched "Is There in Truth No Beauty?" I have a certain affection for this episode as I clearly remember watching it with my parents back when it originally aired on NBC and it haunted me for a good long while.

We really enjoyed the episode, but my friend had a good question: at the end, when they are beaming off the Enterprise, Spock puts on his visor but it appears that Kirk does not. Was Kirk supposed to leave before the beaming and it was an editing mistake? Also, why would a visor be required during beaming if the container remained closed? I had never really noticed that before, but I thought my friend asked a good question.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
i haven’t seen that episode in a while! Kirk was really tough on Miranda.

That’s a good question as to why Spock wore the visor at the end. I always interpreted it was a sentimental act on Spock’s part to remember her that way. As that was how he first saw Miranda and Kollos.

That was never a favorite of mine. But it’s got a lot of great things going for it. Diana Muldar back for another guest appearance, Ralph Senensky directing and George Duning music. And we get to see the arboretum set again.

Oh yeah, it had that act of mutiny on the set too! Leonard Nimoy had issues with Gene Roddenberry hawking the IDIC medallion. Shatner was a able to smooth things over.

I am going to watch an episode tonight and it wasn’t this one. But maybe I’ll give this another look!

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
I got a free trial of FRNDLY, and it shows all the Star Trek series. There's something about sitting there, watching an episode of TOS off cable. The quality is not as good as my BD rips, which are easily accessible on a hard drive plugged into my TV. Several minutes have been clipped from the episode to make room for ads. I'll even sit there through commercials I can't scan and keep watching the episode, despite it taking take less than 30 seconds to fire up my hard drive, find the respective TOS BD rip, and go to the exact spot, with better quality, no edits, and no commercials.

But I didn't. I watched the entire episode off cable.

Why?

The best answer I have is that this experience reminded me of how I used to watch TOS when I was a kid, before VHS, DVDs or BDs. As a change of pace, I liked it.

Last edited:

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
A friend and I recently watched "Is There in Truth No Beauty?" I have a certain affection for this episode as I clearly remember watching it with my parents back when it originally aired on NBC and it haunted me for a good long while.

We really enjoyed the episode, but my friend had a good question: at the end, when they are beaming off the Enterprise, Spock puts on his visor but it appears that Kirk does not. Was Kirk supposed to leave before the beaming and it was an editing mistake? Also, why would a visor be required during beaming if the container remained closed? I had never really noticed that before, but I thought my friend asked a good question.
Probably because Shatner is the star and needed to be in the final scene. However, honestly, as long as Kollos keeps his trap shut, everything should be fine. I get the precautions just in case, but Marvick didn't lose his sanity until Kollos revealed himself. I'm sure, at this point, Kirk felt secure enough that the Ambassador wouldn't just drive Kirk insane for no good reason.

I love this episode. It's a fabulous, fast paced science fiction adventure. David Frankham was really great as all versions of Marvick and Shatner's blistering tirede to Miranda in sickbay was incredible. Shatner was on fire in that scene. Nimoy also had a chance to shine as Kollos.

The IDIC was a shameless production plug for Lincoln Enterprises, but fans took hold of it anyway.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Because of Kevin’s post above, I did rewatch Is There In Truth No Beauty last night! I quite enjoyed more this time around. And I still stand by my earlier post why Spock wore the visor at the end. :)

I agree the actors all were doing great work.

I think I remember one of my friend’s did buy the IDIC medallion from Lincoln Enterprises.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, I don't think I would ever like to meet Mike in person.

I don't care that 95% of his posts are of political nature in many times an angry, cursing way (I realize he combats trolls, but many people have no such motives). He chews people out for not masking currently. And blocks them when they suggest that maybe we are beyond that.

Though I respect his work on Star Trek immensely, I'd hate to live in his shoes.
Bryon, I didn’t get around to commenting on your post. I don’t do social media at all so I don’t read anyone’s tweets. unless it’s posted somewhere I do read. I didn’t know about things he’s said on Twitter or did it matter to me either. :) He can say whatever he wants. I did momentarily meet him once in Los Angeles. He is a nice guy. But I can imagine there’s another side to people that come out in the anonymous world of social media. :)

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
Bryon, I didn’t get around to commenting on your post. I don’t do social media at all so I don’t read anyone’s tweets. unless it’s posted somewhere I do read. I didn’t know about things he’s said on Twitter or did it matter to me either. :) He can say whatever he wants. I did momentarily meet him once in Los Angeles. He is a nice guy. But I can imagine there’s another side to people that come out in the anonymous world of social media. :)
I'm close with someone who has 5000 friends and 100,000+ followers, and the sheer numbers force him to adopt a set of policies and an Internet personality that is nothing like him in reality. It taught me that until I walk in someone else's shoes, I can never understand their reality. My brother-in-law knows the Okudas very well and speaks highly of them.
What is advertised in those commercials that you cannot scan?
It was the same commercials over and over, wanting me to donate to families in Africa so they could get a goat or a garden and become self-sustaining. One thing I liked about the commercials was a timer that told me how long until the episode came back. Sometimes it was 3:00, sometimes 1:30.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I find watching these shows, any of the classic TV shows that I have in my collection that’s being broadcast on DecadesTV, I’ll watch for a bit or watch all the way because it’s on and I didn’t have to do anything to put it on. It was conveniently there. :). But I find watching from my collection is better from all regards, better image, no cut and no commercials for magic tape or giving to money for the adorable blanket.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
At first I thought it was a dream come true to connect/read what my favorite Star Trek personalities are up to. It has been a very mixed bag. Leonard Nimoy was an absolute sweetheart, and my admiration for him only increased. So sad. Walter Koenig is forever a true gentleman just as nice as when I I met him years ago.

William Shatner is...the greatest Star Trek captain ever:eek:

Regarding Mike Okuda, I believe he is a decent person. I even agree with much of his world views. But I mostly stopped reading his tweets. To me it was just way too exhaustive, and depressing (the back and forth arguing/blocking, rinse/repeat), But I'm glad he is saying what he wants on Twitter. 'He must find happiness in doing it. More power to him.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks