What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (6 Viewers)

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I recall that in the 70s channel 13 in Los Angeles showed two episodes back-to-back on Saturday afternoons, IIRC at 4 and 5 pm. (This was before the pristine video tapes of the 1980s, these were beat-up prints.) I recall those days fondly because my parents would be prepping dinner, and we rolled the TV to where they could see from the kitchen, and if dinner was ready before the episode was over we could eat watching TV - literally, the only time we were ever allowed to do so. To this day, I put on an episode of the OS when I am prepping Saturday dinner.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I have fond memories of watching Star Trek in syndication on my local station here in the San Francisco Bay Area, KTVU Channel 2. I remember one time there was a school event I was participating in and their news crews were there to cover it. I asked the cameraman why did they stop showing Star Trek on Channel 2. Ha, ha! There was a time they stopped airing it.

One really cool thing was KTVU had a show called Creature Features on Saturday night. It was hosted by Bob Wilkins and it was a great local show that aired the grade B horror films and a few classics. He had an array of great guest stars like Christopher Lee, William Shatner and William Marshall just to name the more well known ones. it became nightly popular. Lee was promoting The Man with the Golden Gun and Shatner the Kingdom of the Spiders.

Then in 1975, Bob Wilkins produced and appeared in a special on Star Trek. It was the first in the nation if true, as a special that spent one hour exploring the Star Trek phenomenon. I remember seeing it. I audio taped it too. I was very surprised to finally find a copy on YouTube. It was great to revisit it.

For you guys born after this period. This show is really a cool time capsuLe that includes interviews with Gene Roddenberry and most of the cast. It Had an interview with a guy who legally changed his name to James T Kirk. I noticed that segment was edited out of the video. Check it out If you’re inclined. I also see there tagged on a 1970’s interview with Leonard Nimoy at the end of the show.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I might actually be tempted by this Enterprise play set, except that the saucer is not quite shaped right and I think it would bother me. Nonetheless, it is pretty cool for a big kid like me. :)

Star Trek Enterprise toy

Edit to add photo

STE.JPG

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
After looking at the slideshow and seeing just why they designed the saucer so poorly I understand the reasoning - but it'd bother me, too. I'd rather have the mini-figs be small enough to fit inside a *properly* done saucer than the saucer designed to hold the mini-figs. I didn't see anything about price - considering the size (almost 40 inches long!) and other details I'd guess it's far, far, more than I'd remotely consider spending.

Dave Jessup

Stunt Coordinator
I'd thought the viewings on Para+ might suffice, but...

Monday evening; we're the first couple committed then. Unfortunately, other things going on today.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I'd thought the viewings on Para+ might suffice, but...

Monday evening; we're the first couple committed then. Unfortunately, other things going on today.

Awesome! For me there’s nothing that replaces a theater viewing. I’m excited to take my boys too.

Dave Jessup

Stunt Coordinator
Jumping back up-thread a bit, I'll confirm the original music for "City on the Edge..." was included on at least the first copies of the all-series tape releases. I bought those ten-per-release tapes on Beta & kept them well past the first DVD releases; have just a few Betas on hand now (sold off the series as a whole, kept some sealed dupes as collectibles) - unfortunately not "City."

Dave Jessup

Stunt Coordinator
Awesome! For me there’s nothing that replaces a theater viewing. I’m excited to take my boys too.
Thanks to fan-boy-type record keeping, I can say this will be at least the 15th time I've seen a cut of the film in a theater (whether 35mm, 70mm, or DCP) since 1979. Not counting hands-on running a 16mm print at a convention, viewing a 35mm run at a college.... ;)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Thanks to fan-boy-type record keeping, I can say this will be at least the 15th time I've seen a cut of the film in a theater (whether 35mm, 70mm, or DCP) since 1979. Not counting hands-on running a 16mm print at a convention, viewing a 35mm run at a college.... ;)

I’ve only seen in theaters the fathom “unfinished cut” and now the 4k directors cut.

September can’t come soon enough for the 4k disc set!

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Something I've wanted to do for years. Re-editing the Deep Space 9 Tribbles episode bar fight scene with the original Fielding music (I used the original track and overlaid it, dialed down the episode audio so that its music wasn't noticable and added footage from the original episode to get the length right).

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I have fond memories of watching Star Trek in syndication on my local station here in the San Francisco Bay Area, KTVU Channel 2. I remember one time there was a school event I was participating in and their news crews were there to cover it. I asked the cameraman why did they stop showing Star Trek on Channel 2. Ha, ha! There was a time they stopped airing it.

One really cool thing was KTVU had a show called Creature Features on Saturday night. It was hosted by Bob Wilkins and it was a great local show that aired the grade B horror films and a few classics. He had an array of great guest stars like Christopher Lee, William Shatner and William Marshall just to name the more well known ones. it became nightly popular. Lee was promoting The Man with the Golden Gun and Shatner the Kingdom of the Spiders.

Then in 1975, Bob Wilkins produced and appeared in a special on Star Trek. It was the first in the nation if true, as a special that spent one hour exploring the Star Trek phenomenon. I remember seeing it. I audio taped it too. I was very surprised to finally find a copy on YouTube. It was great to revisit it.

For you guys born after this period. This show is really a cool time capsuLe that includes interviews with Gene Roddenberry and most of the cast. It Had an interview with a guy who legally changed his name to James T Kirk. I noticed that segment was edited out of the video. Check it out If you’re inclined. I also see there tagged on a 1970’s interview with Leonard Nimoy at the end of the show.

I have to say that as much as a like Strange New Worlds and Anson Mount's opening monologue over the credits, there really is nothing like Shatner's reading of it with the original music.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I have to say that as much as a like Strange New Worlds and Anson Mount's opening monologue over the credits, there really is nothing like Shatner's reading of it with the original music.

There’s showings of tmp directors cut this evening too.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I watched Space Seed last night after watching the recent episode 3 of Strange New Worlds. There are references to Space Seed that I wanted to re-see.

I’ve seen Space Seed many many times like many here have. So I know it well. But I haven’t watched it as frequently in recent years. It’s sort of become legendary and I kind of like to limit the viewings so each time I do see it, it has more impact or I might gleam something new from it.

I’ve seen Star Trek II theatrically too when it was first released and I remember how exciting that time was. I think I re-watched Star Trek II many times on all the formats in the years since. With the exception of the new 4K UHD blu ray. With that said, I don’t mean to sound negative. In recent years I have become less and less enthusiastic about The Wrath of Khan. My feelings became more and more aware since films like Star Trek First Contact, Insurrection, Nemesis, Star Trek 2009 and Into Darkness. The Wrath of Khan has become a template for what the studio or producers thinks a Star Trek movie has to be in order to make big dollars. A bigger then life villain and huge battle to overcome him. It’s not what Star Trek is about.

And I know Khan has become such a huge thing in the marketplace with books that I’ve never read that details his years from 1992 to 1996. And his presence just cannot be left alone as Star Trek Picard and Strange New Worlds just can’t leave his legacy out of their stories.

So back to Space Seed. On my viewing last night, I really enjoyed it and came away with a different feeling. One that takes me back to pre 1982 and there was no Wrath of Khan. When I was a kid and I first saw this episode and was old enough to get it, I felt that the final lines from Spock left the imagination to go where it can go. I always felt Khan was able to build an empire as he hoped and thrived with Marla and the others. So Ceti Alpha never experienced the disaster seen in the film.

And I really liked the way Kirk defied expectations. Anyone else would have sent Khan to a penal colony. But Kirk respected Khan and felt he would be better off doing what he was made for. And I think Khan respected Kirk back. I thought the episode ended with a real uplifting feeling. it’s a top tier episode.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Well, let's be fair: it's not The Wrath of Khan's fault that they keep leaning on the Khan button like he was Kirk's most fearsome adversary. Kirk beat him with a f'n pipe in engineering. Then Kirk beat him in ship to ship combat 15 years later after Khan had a couple of lucky shots. Kruge did more damage to Kirk directly. But the movie was a huge success, revived Star Trek as a franchise and is a fan favorite (it helps that it's a well written, directed and performed film).

Honestly, I wish they just moved on from the character after that. You notice NONE of the following films mentioned Khan. Not even The Search for Spock. The Berman era started to and then the recent TV shows. Plus later TNG films needed a "Khan" but they never had one so they used the template of the film which never worked as well as the original.

Nah, it's not the film's fault, it's the lack of imagination of the later producers that ruined it. Whenever I sit back and watch TWOK, I am reminded of just how good and special Star Trek movies were then. They took themselves seriously and didn't try to appeal to a mass audience or recapture old successes. They just told good stories. These days, it's all about connecting the dots and making the Star Trek Universe small. I really wish they stop or really scale down the callbacks and references and just make their own way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks