What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (12 Viewers)

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Yes, I agree. "Spock's Edith Keeler" -- exactly.
But why? I don't feel Leila was any more important to Spock than Zarabeth was. He got to let down his guard, have his emotional fling and then go back to normal in the last act. All Our Yesterdays could have just as easily ended with "for the second time in my life, I was happy."

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
But why? I don't feel Leila was any more important to Spock than Zarabeth was. He got to let down his guard, have his emotional fling and then go back to normal in the last act. All Our Yesterdays could have just as easily ended with "for the second time in my life, I was happy."
I love AOY, and Mariette Hartley is terrific in it. Still, Spock had de-evolved to the point where Vulcans had emotions. When he returned to his present, his logic did too, so he no doubt looked at the whole situation stoically. I don’t think the event had the same impact on him as TSOP.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Well we don't really know since the series ended shortly thereafter. :lol:
True, but we know that shortly thereafter, Spock went to Vulcan to purge all emotions, the Kolinahr, IIRC. In light of this discussion, perhaps we can conjecture that the experience he had in AOY contributed to the decision to seek it.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
True, but we know that shortly thereafter, Spock went to Vulcan to purge all emotions, the Kolinahr, IIRC. In light of this discussion, perhaps we can conjecture that the experience he had in AOY contributed to the decision to seek it.
That or the cool video-games ;)!

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
As originally broadcast and created, all the pilots from TNG through VOY were two hour movies with commercials, or 90-ish minutes without commercials. All Good Things, What You Leave Behind and Endgame were the same. Way of the Warrior, ditto.

That’s the version I want. All of them have a small scene here or there removed to add credits in the two part version.

Whatever we call them, I’m pretty sure everyone in this thread knows what I was talking about.
A two-hour broadcast consists of two episodes broadcast together usually on the arbitrary decision of a network or producers in the hopes of increasing ratings. A 90-minute episode is a special-length episode (75 minutes without commercials). Episodes are described by the number of minutes with commercials. Calling a two-hour broadcast a 90-minute episode is inconsistent and incorrect. Sorry to introduce logic on a Star Trek forum.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Why are you so condescending? For heaven sake!

EaF, for example, was written as a 90 minute movie. It was subsequently cut into two parts for syndication purposes. Killing Game was always two parts and broadcast in one night

And with that, you’re going on block. Have a great day!

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I watched TOS episode Friday's Child yesterday. Julie Newmar gives a great performance, and I always forget she did Star Trek. But the story seems like quite the violation of the Prime Directive. Do they rationalize that somehow and I missed it?

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
What was the violation? This wasn't the Federation's first trip to Capella 4. McCoy was there previously and the Klingons were there before the Enterprise arrived. Kirk and the landing party were there to negotiate a mining treaty, so the Capellans already knew about Space, greater technology and so on. Escaping from captivity doesn't violate the Prime Directive. The PD prohibits interference in the development of a culture.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
What was the violation? This wasn't the Federation's first trip to Capella 4. McCoy was there previously and the Klingons were there before the Enterprise arrived. Kirk and the landing party were there to negotiate a mining treaty, so the Capellans already knew about Space, greater technology and so on. Escaping from captivity doesn't violate the Prime Directive. The PD prohibits interference in the development of a culture.

I see what you mean, I guess I am curious about the initial contact. Did Capella ever have warp capability? I thought that was the benchmark.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Not in the original series, that was brought up in TNG ("First Contact" I think) but not really adhered to. I mean, the planet of blonde white people with body oil playing catch with Wesley in the first season of TNG certainly didn't have warp capability. It was inconsistent.

Now Kirk destroying Vaal was a violation of the PD. He altered the course of that civilization. That was bad...the episode was also not that great.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I had an unusual experience doing a re-watch of two favorite episodes, Space Seed and The Enterprise Incident.

For both episodes, it was probably the hundredth time, though I’ve lost count how many times I’ve watched TOS. I always enjoy Ricardo Montalban‘s performance. He’s really projecting that machismo, sort of another time.

But for some reason, I had a totally new reaction to The Enterprise Incident. I had been sort of thinking earlier in the week when I was watching Space Seed, what it must have been like in the house I live in that was new at the time the third season premiered. What surprised me was how the third season really felt new too. I’ve always had that sense from all the way back to the early years as a young fan. I always had the sense watching Amok Time and Metamorphosis how it feels like a fresh new season and everyone is looking fresh and revised for the new season. So it was surprising to have that sense for The Enterprise Incident. But what really struck me was how it really felt like 1968. The whole episode was a fantastic collision of perfect elements to give off that vibe. And I am not saying the show feels dated. I guess you could say it’s part nostalgic. But the sense I was feeling was the combination of the colorful set lighting on the Romulan ship, Joanne Linville’s performance was an eye opener for me, the Romulan Commander‘s dress and earrings really felt like it was heavily taken from the mod designs of the time, the slightly different kind of storyline, and the new Klingon ship design being seen for the first time! (Though I know the Klingon Battlecruiser was first filmed for Elaan of Troyius that was earlier in production order then The Enterprise Incident, this episode was aired first.)

It also helps that the blu ray’s increased resolution and the remastered film quality brought out the full color of the episode.

While it was not new to me to see that the Romulan Commander was attracted to Spock, what surprised me was it felt like seeing it for the first time. I guess I never paid as much attention to the acting here. Joanne Linville was great in this episode as she was very early on showing authority and playing up how wronged the Romulan’s felt by Kirk’s incursion into Romulan space. She knew Kirk was up to something. But I was more surprised by how Linville was really wooing Spock early on in her body language. I never really noticed before how strongly Nimoy and Linville were showing how they as Spock and the Commander were really falling for each other. I never noticed it before in Spock’s face. I guess I always saw it as Spock was playing his part in the plan. But it felt very real this time. And her last line, while on the Enterprise in the turbo lift really made more sense for me. That Spock‘s feelings were genuine and she confesses to hold their feelings secret. That’s a really big deal! This felt like a real love story compared to the other times because it was not due to alien spores or time travel. So that was the other really big revelation for me! I knew Spock had some feeling for the Romulan Commander, but this time, I realized more so that it was genuine and was going both ways.

The Enterprise Incident was always a strong episode for me. But it’s got it going on so many levels. Funny also realized that for a third season episode known for weaker episodes, genuinely a solid Star Trek written by someone who knows Star Trek.

Last edited:

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Great notes, Nelson. I actually like quite a few episodes in season 3. Part of it may be that I can remember watching that season with my parents in prime time. One of the few things we all watched together. The Enterprise Incident is one of my faves from the whole series in fact.

More and more as I revisit TOS, I see what a splendid actor Leonard Nimoy was. He could be subtle but still project the feeling of the moment. In addition I think as our screens have become bigger and clearer we can see those things better than ever.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yes, in recent years of viewing TOS, there’s a lot of subtitles I’ve noticed in Nimoy’s portrayal of Spock. It could very well be the result of the recent availability of larger screens and the Blu Rays too. Its great to still be discovering things even after all these viewings!

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
The more we watch a show, the more details we pick up over time. It's taken me a number of views to see the subtleties in performances. Even Shatner has some very nice, extremely subtle touches in his performances as far into the series as the third season. He had amazing control over his entire body and voice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks