What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (2 Viewers)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I wish Grace Lee Whitney had been in more episodes. But then again maybe it makes her appearances more special?

Those early episodes, before they settled on the core of Kirk-Spock-McCoy, were really interesting in how they showed the rest of the crew living and working on board the ship. In a sense, it’s a bit like TNG in that the earlier episodes aren’t just focused on the ship’s captain.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
The music for the episode was made up of stock and library cues. Nothing really new...
While most of the score consists of tracked music from previous episodes, Joseph Mullendore scored some library cues that are used in "Miri" for the first time and could arguably be considered new. Most notably the "Lonely to Dramatic" cue that was used again with great effect in "Space Seed".

I highly recommend anyone who loves the music of Star Trek to pick up La-La Land Records excellent box set of the complete music to the series. It contains every piece of music used in the show as well as alternates and unused pieces.
img001.jpg

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Well, I did mean nothing composed for the episode specifically... it was, I believe, the first episode to be tracked with pre-existing music. But yes, some library cues were heard for the first time here.

The box set is missing a few minutes which were later released in the 50th anniversary set, along with a bunch of library cues which were discovered on first generation tapes. The 50th also contains music from the Animated series and other treasures. Between those two releases, your Original Series music needs would be fulfilled.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I didn’t know there was so much dislike for Miri. I can think of other episodes I’d rather avoid then Miri. :)

The only thing that’s weak is the parallel Earth idea. As a kid, it never bothered me. As an adult, I figured it’s a way to use existing sets. It still works for me. As for the epsode, I always liked it. There’s a certain Omega Man ( Charleston Heston version) vibe about it that only occurred to me just now. So there’s that chilling aspect.

I never thought of Kirk being creepy with Miri. Though I know he took some advantages with her in terms of her crush to help get what they needed to find the cure. But then Miri was pretty bad when she was jealous of Rand.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I’ll add every piece of film or TV with child actors except Chaplin’s “The Kid”. I used to teach the novel “Shane”. I dreaded showing the movie after as the grade 11 students would roar with laughter whenever they saw the boy.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Wow, I didn’t know there was so much dislike for Miri. I can think of other episodes I’d rather avoid then Miri. :)

Same. It's not the pinnacle of TOS storytelling and I don't randomly get a hankering to watch "Miri," but there's easily two dozen other episodes I'd rank below this one...possibly more. It's a pretty standard story, I'll admit. But we get off the standing sets for a while and it's not a evil alien character of the week story with a big fight at the end.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott

Well, it's not as if I'm saying it's the worst episode of the 79. And - honestly - I find something to enjoy in all of them. But those points bug me , so I don't go there often. However, other "better" episodes I revisit even less. I find Devil in the Dark to be pretty dull (and the New Jersey union dudes are ridonkulous), This Side of Paradise to be grating with Jill Ireland's sappy performance and the over use of the 2nd Ruth music from Shore Leave. Charlie X is a dud to me (Uhura's song is is what they play in Hell's waiting room) and I, Mudd and A Piece of the Action are practically unwatchable to me.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
They are hard to find. I have the first 3 volumes but I can’t ever find the rest. There were 5 or 6.

Were all six volumes issued on VHS/Beta?

I know there were six volumes on CED videodiscs, as I bought them when they came out. I think those six volumes were pretty popular on the CED format.

I'm sure the CED releases used the same prints as the corresponding VHS/Beta releases.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Hey, who are you callin’ a babe? :)

Different strokes for different people! Yes, we like what we like and don’t like. We all like Star Trek though.

Exactly! And even those episodes I listed have elements I love.

“I’d advise ya’s to keep dialin’, Oxmyx...”

So really, I enjoy them all, just some more than others

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Were all six volumes issued on VHS/Beta?

I know there were six volumes on CED videodiscs, as I bought them when they came out. I think those six volumes were pretty popular on the CED format.

I'm sure the CED releases used the same prints as the corresponding VHS/Beta releases.

Yeah they were all on VHS at least. I’d love to find the rest of them.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Yeah they were all on VHS at least. I’d love to find the rest of them.

According to the Star Trek Wikia page, there were only five VHS "volume" releases.

The episodes chosen for these correspond to the same episodes as the CED releases, however, they are not paired-up the same. 'Balance of Terror' shared a CED with 'Mirror, Mirror' for instance.

The volume that is missing from the Wikia (but which definitely came out on CED) is "Space Seed/Changeling", which was released as a tie-in to the home CED release of "Wrath of Khan".

It does look like "Space Seed" was issued (by itself) on VHS/Beta, but not paired up with "The Changeling". That episode, unless someone else has evidence to the contrary, might have been a CED exclusive until the sequential releases started.

Last edited:

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The thing I've never understood about "Miri" is that I'm supposed to believe that EVERYONE left their communicators lying on a table to get filched and none of them kept them attached to their person?

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I had an early VHS with Balance of Terror and City...Forever. The song "Goodnight Sweetheart" was used on that release. I was quite dismayed when I thought I traded up to the laserdisc and Goodnight Sweetheart had been replaced. The color was quite vivid on that VHS.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks