What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (4 Viewers)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
And The Adventures of Superman.

I found a very interesting photo. This is TAGS and Star Trek - same intersection:

tQClx-1458936540-765-blog-Header%20Final.jpg

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Here's another really neat shot from that site. This is from TAGS - but you can see the converted theater exterior with the "21st Street Mission" lettering in the background. It was shot in the same time frame as the Star Trek episode for which the set was dressed.

21st_St_Mission_Andy_1024.jpg

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Arguably the most successful backdoor pilot was "Love and the Happy Days" from "Love American Style"
I wouldn't call that one a "backdoor pilot" at all. Happy Days was an unsold pilot ABC put in Love, American Style to recoup some of the production costs. George Lucas saw it, was impressed with Ron Howard, and cast him in American Graffiti. That move and film caused ABC to take a second look at the pilot and give it a chance. Plus Love American Style was an anthology type show which doesn't truly have "backdoor pilots" as there's no permanent cast or premise.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Bat-Man 1966 & Green Hornet were shot at Fox

No, only the pilot for "Batman" was shot principally at Fox (Gotham Police HQ front at Warners). For the series the bulk of the shooting was done at 40 Acres because Fox no longer had enough space. In the False Face episode you can even see a climactic chase taking place all over the 40 Acres lot.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Here’s my controversial statement for the day:

I watched Miri on VHS last night. Never really liked that episode. Still don’t.

There, I admitted it.

Funny you post that now; this past Saturday night I was cleaning the kitchen and turned on the TV and Miri was playing on MeTV and I kind of groaned when I saw which episode it was, and I almost posted a comment here but forgot about that by the time I was done in the kitchen. Some good moments, but overall rather annoying.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I am of two minds about this episode. I think the concept is fantastic. I also feel that much of it is very chilling and dark. However, the “Another Earth” hook went nowhere. It was just a cheap teaser to get you to tune in. This could have just as easily been an old earth colony or a human settlement that failed.

Even worse, I felt that Kirk’s manipulation of Miri’s crush was more than a little creepy. And the kids did get grating, but their slang was clever and there was no reason for them to mentally mature without guidance. So this could have been amazing, but it falls short for me.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I have an oddball question, for those of you who saw TOS either during its original NBC airings or when it was in syndication on film, before the video masters used on the VHS releases became the standard versions everywhere...

How do those VHS releases compare in terms of the overall look of the show? Is this about what it looked like on TV before everyone was showing the exact same tape masters? Obviously it didn’t look as good as the Blu-rays in standard definition and rabbit ears. :)

I did see some episodes in its original run, but I was pretty small. That being said, later watching it in syndication I remember thinking to myself, "I remember it as more colorful." In those days of syndication, I think they were running 16mm prints, because they were scratched and just in generally poor shape. (So was I Love Lucy - I recall the film actually breaking once during the Maha-rincess episode). So that was in the 70s, and it was one of the few things the whole family watched, and then Star Trek wasn't on at all for a while. Then in about 1984, Star Trek "returned" - I want to say Channel 5 in L.A., but I could be wrong. They made a big deal about it. Anyway, they were obviously new videotape versions, because they looked so beautiful (as compared to the 1970s syndication run). I recorded all of them on VHS, diligently cutting the commercials. It was a commitment (and I am sure I am not the only one here who has done something similar). The joy of the better versions on TV in 1984 was comparable at the time to the amazing quality on blu-ray now. (A related tangent - re: 16mm prints - the channel 7 3:30 movie was a fave of mine because I saw lots of movies I was too young to have seen in the theater - - but when they would show a Cinemascope film, sometimes you could hear dialogue but not see anyone speaking because there wasn't even pan and scan - they just showed the center of the frame, and if the characters were too far to the left or right., too bad. We have come a long way!)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
For me it was the Michael J. Pollard's character "Jahn" that was the big turnoff. Something about that constant grin just annoys me. I like it better now than when it first aired but it's absolutely not a favorite and I'll often skip it or just let it play as background noise. The only episode I skip without hesitation is "The Empath."

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
You are not alone!
It’s one I usually skip!!

Me too! Any episode with kids featured prominently (see also "And the Children Shall Lead") gets skipped in the rotation. Never liked them when I was a kid myself, and still don't.

Janice wants the Captain to look at her legs, so did I. Only part that I really like in that one. :D

Grace Lee Whitney's legs, on the other hand? Big fan.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Me too! Any episode with kids featured prominently (see also "And the Children Shall Lead") gets skipped in the rotation. Never liked them when I was a kid myself, and still don't.
When it comes right down to it I've never cared for kids added to what should be "adult" shows, especially when they're added in apparent attempts to get kids to watch (looking at you TNG, Battlestar Galactica, and many others). Those two episodes of TOS are prime examples.

Nimoy didn't like "And the Children Shall Lead" either:

Leonard Nimoy explained that when he complained about the script to Fred Freiberger, Freiberger said, "This script is going to be what 'Miri' should have been". Nimoy objected, calling "Miri" a beautiful, well-acted story, and felt that Freiberger's comments were as much as saying, "'Miri' was a piece of trash".

I disagree with Nimoy about "Miri" though... It was mostly well-acted but that's about it.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
For me it was the Michael J. Pollard's character "Jahn" that was the big turnoff. Something about that constant grin just annoys me. I like it better now than when it first aired but it's absolutely not a favorite and I'll often skip it or just let it play as background noise. The only episode I skip without hesitation is "The Empath."

I’m not a fan of that one either.

I think it has some unique music though???

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

Grace Lee Whitney's legs, on the other hand? Big fan.

I wish Grace Lee Whitney had been in more episodes. But then again maybe it makes her appearances more special?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks