What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (3 Viewers)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Growing up, I remember vaguely hearing that booming theme of Perry Mason in reruns as a kid, but not very interested in watching it. I do recall some imagery of him. However, I have seen the later TV movies and a smattering of scenes from time to time of the original Mason series. It's in MeTV in my area and I'll give it a watch if it's on at an hour I can see it. That Meyer book is one I've been meaning to get! I'll have to read it if I get the Cushman book done before the third one is released.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I don't. :(But I have a feeling this person contributed to either Star Trek or the first season of The Outer Limits?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Okay, I looked it up, Fred Steiner! I wouldn't have expected that. The wiki entry also lists several actors who were up and coming who appeared in Mason, including many Star Trek people. :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I have Brady Bunch on in the background on MeTV as I'm doing house work and I see that Tommy Starnes is a friend of Greg Brady!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson, Nelson, Nelson.

What must I do with you? 'Tommy Starnes' (Craig Hundley) and his appearance on The Brady Bunch was the subject of a trivia question I asked several months ago. I know you know this already, but it requires repeating. "I can forgive such a display only once." ;)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,

The theme to Perry Mason is among my favorites of any television series. I like the version used in the Perry Mason films too, but not as much. The tempo is for my taste too quick in the films. The theme used for the closing of the series is also quicker than that used for the introduction, although I prefer the instrumentation/orchestration used in the closing to that used in the films.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Steiner orchestrated the theme for the TV movies himself. Dick De Benedictis did the scores for them, as he was the in-house guy for producer Dean Hargrove, but Steiner said De Benedictis went out of his way to make sure Steiner had the opportunity to reorchestrate the theme himself. Steiner appreciated the gesture very much and had nothing but good things to say about De Benedictis.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I beg forgiveness! I must have had my eyes closed that day regarding Craig Hundley. Or is its Huxley? :)That's a cool story about Steiner. I did a quick search and found this video below, I'll see if there are any on a Star Trek:

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
If you go to the Archive of American Television, they have his whole interview up, and a big piece of it is on Star Trek. Gerald Fried's is also there and his is fun, especially at the end when he performs two pieces from Amok Time!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I watched the Fred Steiner segments on Star Trek only in the Archive of Television site. I want to watch the rest, but was able to squeeze in that segment. Interesting his memory was still pretty good at that time of the interview. Yet I think he might have misremembered a few things. Quite understandable. I'll have to see how I can either find Jeff Bond's book or the Library of Congress paper he wrote. I was amused by how the interviewer pronounced Elaine of Troyius. Interesting how he talked about the echo effect for a cue in Spock's Brain. Must have been that sound used when Kirk contacted Spock's brain via the communicator. I kept thinking as he was discussing the partial score for The City on the Edge of Forever and missing tracks he wanted to hear again and the Varese Sarabande releases a few years ago, how unfortunate he didn't get a chance to see and hear the La La Land release. I had never heard anyone actually pronounce Who Mourns for Adonais. And cool that he said it was his favorite. He didn't remember the Balance of Terror score or the Romulan theme, but remembered the Mirror Mirror score. I listened to Elaine of Troyius on the way to work today. :)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I think Jeff Bond tells a story about Steiner insisting that the Mirror, Mirror theme was different from the Romulan theme, even as Jeff Bond reminded him they were identical. There's also a piece of it used in The Corbomite Maneuver.The Archive of American Television interviews are an invaluable resource and they are very well researched, but sometimes the interviewers aren't quite personally knowledgeable enough to know the details of every question they ask, a la Elaine of Troyius. In another Trek-related one, the interview with Beatrice Arthur leaves an answer standing that places Ms. Arthur in Star Trek! (It's the result of an old rumor, Ms. Arthur not knowing the difference between Star Trek and Star Wars, and the interviewer not knowing who Ken and Mitzi Welch were.) Anyway, just illustrating that even the most well-researched interviews of first-hand participants can have mistakes--the hard truth of research...

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
That theme that became the Romulan theme sure got around! That's right, it was used when we see the ugly Balok IIRC.The Bea Arthur story is the infamous Gamesters of Triskelion one? I'm set to read that chapter next.Agreed about the Archive of American Television.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Yes, that's what prompted the question, but Ms. Arthur and the interviewer got lost in there somewhere and turned the right answer into the wrong answer.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,

If you end up needing help trying to obtain the book or the paper Jeff Bond wrote, let me know. Since I have access to hundreds of databases (and much of the Library of Congress collection), I may be able to assist. At the very least I can tell you which libraries / other agencies have the book in their collections.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Scott, thanks for the offer, I'll keep that in mind! Great question Lee. Speaking of Miss Arthur, "I am Tamoon. I will train you well!" :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
QuirkyProtection
Recent bookmarks