What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (3 Viewers)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
"You are not of the body!"

thereturnofthearchonshd043.jpg

And Mr. Brent is at the controls again for The Omega Glory!
theomegagloryhd0042.jpg

It appears that a new technician is assisting Mr. Scott during Archons, so I will add that to the list!

Great work Lee. Still one more.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
How about Charlie X? (I'll feel guilty if that's the one left and Scott didn't get it!)I watched Balance of Terror tonight. It really typifies the early episodes in that a lot of effort is expended to show a whole complex functioning of the ship. There are phaser crews and phaser rooms and coolant gases and extras running around...There is definitely a sailing ship feel to the whole thing and not just because of the plot. I don't necessarily lament the loss of the "depth" of the ship; it just became a different kind of show. Some people blame budget crunches, but it feels more like an artistic choice to me; or at least a reordering of artistic priorities. In any case, a great episode and I would argue even better performances from Mark Lenard and Lawrence Montaigne than their later Vulcan efforts.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
From Charlie X: "All right, Chief, begin materialisation."
charliexhd003.jpg
This is Bobby according to Memory Alpha. The same Bobby Uhura asks to fix her door.
themantraphd387.jpg
That's it, that's all I had on my list! Fine work. Don't feel too bad Lee.I think Balance of Terror is one of the best episodes of the series and one I rank very high at the top. I think it's one of Shatner's best performances as Kirk.As for the submarine feel, it was meant to be like Run Silent Run Deep I beleive, wasn't it? It is atypical and I always wondered if it was intentional that they had the phaser crews and had to call down to them to fire weapons.And even as a kid, I remember vividly the scenes between the Romulan Commander and the Centuriun. Not so much the actual conversation, but just the strong imagery it created. Later when i was older, i really got the meaning of the scene and to see the conflict the Commander feels. it was definitely a meatier role for Lenard.The scene with McCoy and Kirk about "don't destroy the one named Kirk" is a great speech.

You are next Lee!

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Very good question. I just never gave much thought to who was operating the transporter except in those few cases where it was important to the plot. Some interesting trends emerged, like the frequency with which Brent was there and the undeniable prevalence of Scott and Spock at the controls.McCoy's speech in Balance of Terror is powerful, and especially in context. It gets quoted a lot and is still meaningful, but in its place in the show it follows (not immediately) Kirk going against McCoy's advice on how to address their situation. No one says it overtly, but the scene has a subtext of McCoy's advice coming with a reaffirmation of his friendship and respect, even when Kirk doesn't take his advice.I'll work on a new question.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Lee. The question was inspired by your questions. And seeing the trouble Mr. Berkeley was having beaming cargo to Tantalus.Regarding McCoy's speech, I always wondered if there was a slip-up in how Kelley read the lines, or how the lines were written. Because he says:" And in all that, perhaps more, only one of each of us." It sounds like it might have been, "'there is' only one of each of us.". Maybe it's more dramatic this way. Maybe it's just my own hang up! Looking forward to the next question.

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
FanCollector said:
How about Charlie X? (I'll feel guilty if that's the one left and Scott didn't get it!)I watched Balance of Terror tonight. It really typifies the early episodes in that a lot of effort is expended to show a whole complex functioning of the ship. There are phaser crews and phaser rooms and coolant gases and extras running around...There is definitely a sailing ship feel to the whole thing and not just because of the plot. I don't necessarily lament the loss of the "depth" of the ship; it just became a different kind of show. Some people blame budget crunches, but it feels more like an artistic choice to me; or at least a reordering of artistic priorities. In any case, a great episode and I would argue even better performances from Mark Lenard and Lawrence Montaigne than their later Vulcan efforts.
Balance of Terror has always been a favorite of mine. The one thing that always gets me, though, is how they make a point of talking softly while "playing dead", as though the sound of their conversations could cross the vacuum of space. A holdover from submarine stories, probably, where that could be a concern in stealth mode.

It is fun to see Uhura get a chance to take over the navigation station.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
FanCollector said:
How about Charlie X? (I'll feel guilty if that's the one left and Scott didn't get it!)
Lee,

Not a problem. I wish I could participate more lately, but I've been involved with a couple of writing projects that are taking a good deal of my time."I may be tired, Lee, but I'm not falling apart. Dismissed."

;)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I always think that too, Bryan, about the "running silent" scene in Balance of Terror. Certain ship's systems might legitimately be detectable, but yes, the whispering business feels very literal with regard to the cruiser/submarine analogy. And I always feel Nichelle Nichols's pain in that navigation scene. Uhura gets to be the navigator and what's her only line there? "Hailing frequencies open."Haven't had time to think of a new question yet, but I'll get on it. If anyone has one ready, feel free. Bryan?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
"Work quietly Mr. Spock." "We have him, move towards him."

Agreed about the vacuum of space. It's like Court Martial, the Enterprise wouldn't have fallen out of orbit that fast after Finney sabotaged the ship, but it adds to the urgency.

Lee, what do you think Sulu is thinking when Uhura sits down at the navigator station? :)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I wasn't going to guess at Sulu's thoughts during that long look at Uhura when she sits down. (As we have discussed before, I think Star Trek sometimes gets unfairly accused of sexism. There are times, however, when it is fairly accused. It's not wrong, per se, to have one character react a certain way but EVERY time Uhura did anything away from the communications station, someone had to take notice.)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
How about some responsive reading? I'll provide some quotes and you supply the line immediately following. (I promise to be reasonable, but try to be as exact as possible.)1. I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!2. Not only do we have your psychokinetic abilities, but at twice your power level.3. Between where we were and where we are.4. That's my offer.5. I haven't heard a word you've said.6. Probably just what Mr. Spock is thinking now.7. Spock? Comment?8. I don't know where I come from! What my planet is.9. Pain is a thing of the mind.10. And how will you pay for your acts of murder?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Shoot and I remembered that last part of the line this morning when I woke up! Shatner says it in a great rythym, as you said! Let see Chris Pine to that! :)Line number 2: Parmen replies: "Not twice mine!"

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Come, come, Nelson. Young minds, fresh ideas.Correct again on Parmen. I watched Plato's Stepchildren a few weeks ago and was struck by how very much better it would be with those two torture scenes replaced. The episode really has a lot to recommend it, with some good ideas and strong characterizations. Michael Dunn is marvelous and the scene in their room after the first torture scene is powerful. But the torture scenes make it very hard to remember all the good things in the show.I try to avoid going into personal episode reviews here (because there's usually no reason anyone should care), but I really noticed on this viewing what a tremendously negative impact (for me) those seven or eight minutes had.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
3. Between where we were and where we are.
"Are you trying to be funny, Mr. Spock?"

7. Spock? Comment?

"Very bad poetry, Captain."

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
4. "That's a joke!"6. "Kill me. Well, you can." Yes, I have come to think the new Star Trek films as a new take on the subject and I plan to see and I hope to enjoy Star Trek II: The Wrath of Harrison" :). I hope it's good. It's visually very impressive.I will give Platos Stepchildren a look this weekend.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Regarding Where No Man Has Gone Before. Sorry, I had to look it up. I watched the scene in sickbay a couple of times and it still sounds like; Well, you can! But I see how I changed the meaning. He said "Kill me while you can.". And Spock was emphasizing that to Kirk in briefing room earlier.Huh, all this time I thought Gary was telling them they could try to kill him, but they won't be able too as he was getting over confident already. It made sense in my mind. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nielmb
    Recent bookmarks