What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (4 Viewers)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
RickER said:
Ohh, thats a good question. But thats the trouble, isnt it. You know how hard it is to think of a question you guys wont know! Cause i know this one. Of course you can hear people like Majel Barrett talking on the intercom when the ship goes to red alert, or when all stations report damage. But the one your thinking of, is the Great Bird himself, Gene Roddenberry in Charlie X. His voice is the one calling up to the bridge, telling Kirk that he put meatloaf in the ovens, and that now they have turkey in them.
Yes, that's exactly the one I was thinking of-- "There's real turkeys in there!" (or something to that effect).

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
RickER said:
How many shuttle craft are aboard the Enterprise. Oh, and what episode did they tell you that!
Hmmm. I will say two (Columbus and Galileo). I'm guessing it was in The Galileo Seven, as the second shuttle craft was launched and then returned (and both are named in the episode, I believe). I think the Copernicus was in TAS, although I almost thought it showed up in an episode of TOS. I will stick with my original answer--two. :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
This is a really good question!
You are asking regarding NCC-1701?, not A, B, blah, blah, you know the line!
I'm working on this....

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
7 I believe and the only episode that seems likely to mention as part of a plot point is The Galileo 7.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Lou Sytsma said:
7 I believe and the only episode that seems likely to mention as part of a plot point is The Galileo 7.
Lou,
That's a great guess. Does this include the Columbus? I've loved for years how the title of the episode The Galileo Seven might refer to the number of the shuttlecraft, or it might refer to the number of people on board in that particular episode.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Well, i guess i will have to tell you. Its 4. Remember in The Doomsday Machine, a crewman calls back to Kirk, and says all 4 of the shuttlecraft are here sir. The Constellation is the same class as Enterprise. Thats the only time i can remember anyone talking about how many shuttlecraft would be on a ship.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
RickER said:
Well, i guess i will have to tell you. Its 4. Remember in The Doomsday Machine, a crewman calls back to Kirk, and says all 4 of the shuttlecraft are here sir. The Constellation is the same class as Enterprise. Thats the only time i can remember anyone talking about how many shuttlecraft would be on a ship.
Rick,
Good call! You get to go again, or give the next question to someone else that came close, whatever you wish.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Darn! I was approaching it from the thinking of which episodes had shuttles in them. I totally forgot that dialogue when he says there's 4 shuttles still on board. Good one!
The shuttlecrafts were never mentioned by name, like the one Decker stole and flew into the Planet Killer. It's implide that the shuttle in Metamorphosis is the Galileo 2. As was the one in The Way to Eden.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
According to The Making of Star Trek none of us are correct.
Pg. 191 - second paragraph - "Huge hangar doors, 60 feet wide and 30 feet high, provide egress and entrance for the six shuttlecraft."

troy evans

Screenwriter
Lou Sytsma said:
shuttlecraft."
Is it possible that they may be refering to a maximum capacity and not how many the ship is required to have? Think about it, if they have all the hanger bay filled to capacity with all six capable shuttle craft were would visitors ships shuttles dock and unload? In which case it would make sense to have four, leaving the two remaining areas for just such an instance.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Okay, here we go into geekdom. I believe the turntable in the hanger bay was an elevator and there's room below that deck for shuttles. And I just checked the Making of Star Trek and there's some elevation drawings indicating the turntable is an elevator. I'm too into this stuff!

troy evans

Screenwriter
Nelson Au said:
Okay, here we go into geekdom. I believe the turntable in the hanger bay was an elevator and there's room below that deck for shuttles. And I just checked the Making of Star Trek and there's some elevation drawings indicating the turntable is an elevator. I'm too into this stuff!
You're not into it because you're a geek. It's because the Star Trek universe is that damn awesome.:) Almost everyone at least likes it. Whether they admit it or not is another thing entirely. There are a good many closet Star Trek fans out there.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Troy, have you ever tried to stump us? Give it a shot.
Thats very interesting in the making of TOS. I remember the blue prints also show the elevation. I guess they could always store a few shuttlecraft in the landing bay as well. But, yea, i always knew they were kept below. The few lines from Doomsday Machine are the only time i remember a number given.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson Au said:
The shuttlecrafts were never mentioned by name, like the one Decker stole and flew into the Planet Killer. It's implide that the shuttle in Metamorphosis is the Galileo 2. As was the one in The Way to Eden.
Nelson,
Just one point. I am assuming you mean all of them were not mentioned by name, yes? Because the Galileo and Columbus were mentioned by name (without regard to specific number, I believe) in TOS. I'll try to find that dialogue over the next day or so. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_graham861
Recent bookmarks