What's new

Scorcese's Blues (1 Viewer)

John Watson

Screenwriter
I think this is the night the series starts on PBS.

I may watch, sounds more interesting than Ken Burns Jazz, and a possible future buy.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Hi, John: I thought this might work better in the TV Shows area. And I'm definitely looking forward to all seven installments of this series, which airs starting tomorrow evening in the Los Angeles area. JB

Geno

Supporting Actor
if this comes out on DVD im so there, if anyone knows about its dvd existence, please lety me know

ciao

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
With many PBS presentations, the DVD is released almost at the same time as the broadcast (for example, the recent documentaries Watergate Plus 30 and the three-hour history on the rise and fall of the World Trade Center twin towers, New York: The Center of the World). You should make a point of checking out ShopPBS.org.

Geno

Supporting Actor
only a 5 pack of cd's, no DVD from what i've seen at pbs.org

but thanks for the tip, im getting the cd's :)

KrisM

Second Unit
There was a full page ad in one of the local papers that said the DVDs were to be released on Sept 30. If anybody has a review I'd be curious to hear about it. Especially any bonus material.
I enjoyed the first episode last night, and I'm looking forward to the next 6.
There was also an interesting documentary on PBS on Saturday night, called Bluestory. Some big name guys were in it, but they also had some lesser known performers such R.L. Burnside and Otha Turner. It would be worth a look for any blues fan, if they happen to play it again.
There was also a Muddy Waters doc. that I missed. It is on again Wednesday night. Did anybody catch it?

Regards
KrisM

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor

Yep, coming out Oct. 7th. Here's the Amazon.com link. Haven't found any details about extras, but I haven't looked extensively either...

Saw part of last night's show. I loved the part where Son House talked about dropping out of the Blues business for 16 years because all his peers were dying off. He had genuine emotion in his voice when he said he simply thought that he was next unless he gave it up.

LisaDoris

Stunt Coordinator
I just finished Pt 1 and I really enjoyed it (taping pt 2 as I type). It will be interesting ot see how each of the directors handle the subject matter.

I've had the book companion for over a week and still haven't read it yet though. Part of me doesn't even want to bother taping it since I know I'll end up loving it and buying the DVD's.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
I didn't expect to see this much interest on this PBS special , this is great! I watched the episode last night and I thought they did a great job on it. Looking forward to watching the coming episodes.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Part of me doesn't even want to bother taping it since I know I'll end up loving it and buying the DVD's.
Bingo!

Not that there aren't parts I could do without, but then they get to footage of Muddy or John Lee Hooker or Son House and I know I've got to own this set.

Jim

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
I really enjoyed the first two episodes especially last night's film by Wim Wenders. There's so much I don't know about these old blues masters having found their music via the influence they had on so many rock and roll artists.

Great stuff! :emoji_thumbsup:

Rob

Eric F

Screenwriter
I already have it on order from Amazon.ca for around $80 shipped after $10 off $50 coupon.

I purchased the American Blues Festival 1&2 from Amazon last week (buy these too- some amazing footage here), and there was an insert for The Blues DVDs. There will be director commentaries (it didn't say all or some DVDs), extra footage/performances, complete filmographies/biographies of all directors.

I really hope it's widescreen- if it's not I'll probably sell it and save it off of PBS-DT, where it is. I also hope we get commentary from at least Scorsese and Eastwood, who are both big blues/jazz fans.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I missed the first one, which I believe was Scorsese's. I hopy they replay it. I've only seen Wim Wenders', and I absolutely adored it. Lately, documentaries bore me (especially if it's a topic I know so much about), but this was done with so much heart it was great. And the footage of Skip James was a fabulous.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Definately pick up American Blues Festival Vol1&2 at Amazon. I've never seen any of this footage, but it looks and sounds amazing considering it's from '62-'65.

The stuff with Sonny Boy Williamson really blew me away. You really get to see T-Bone Walker do his thing too- these guys are at the height of their playing power here. This is a must have for blues fans.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I tried to start a thread on The American Folk Blues Festival discs when they came out but no one seemed to care. These are awesome discs. The footage of Howlin' Wolf at the peak of his powers is fantastic. I read on their web page , though I can't find it now, that a separate disc just of John Lee Hooker will be coming out.

A side note, check out their database of licensable material and you will crap your pants.

In Seattle, before last night's episode of The Blues, there was an hour long documentary on Muddy Waters. Does anyone know if this is available on DVD?

Eric F

Screenwriter
I would have participated had I seen it- I'm sure there aren't many die-hard bluesheads here, but there are a few. I'm a blues musician myself, so don't get me started.:)

Yeah, the Wolf's guitar playing really sucks [here], and he doesn't play harp at all. He can sure belt them out tho.

If you remember the name of the show I'll tell you if it's on DVD.

If you like the Blues Festival DVDs, I assume you already own Blues Masters? That one rocks too- even better because we have the full Muddy band, complete with Cotton on harp.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Can you post to a link to Blues Masters?

The Muddy special was American Masters: Can't Be Satisfied, and I just noticed it is available on DVD.

Wolf has such a great voice!

John Watson

Screenwriter
Missed the first night (Hurricane touched down in NS) and just started watching tape of 2nd ep.

Not to sure if I liked some of the updates of the original songs.

But was very taken with Blind Willy (as acted) and Skip James and JB Lenoir. Have to admit I was unaware of the first two men, and have only heard the name Lenoir, never any of his performances. But they are awsome.

Some disappointment when I looked at the Amazon listing of the contents of the cd set - not enough of the content I waould want to have.

BTW I could KICK MYSELF, for having once owned Vol 1-15 of Rhino's Blues Masters series, but selling most of them off years ago. I'd be much more receptive to listening to them now :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks