What's new

Sciatica ? (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Pain medication is not a great long-term solution. Depending on the actual problem* spinal injections are the next least-invasive option. (* "sciatica" is just a generic term for several different problems, including disc compression and stenosis). Then there's an inter-spinal device option which is real surgery but still not very invasive (it's just a large "spacer" they use to keep the vertebrae apart. Next up is usually a laminectomy, and finally a spinal fusion.

I went to therapy with no luck whatsoever (but the insurance providers make you do that first). Then I had spinal injections - helped, but not long term. Then I went with an X-Stop inter-spinal device (that reduced the pain by about 50% (which wasn't enough for me).
Then I went back and had spinal injections, and the combination is keeping me pain free. No playing tennis or anything, but I can take 5 mile walks again with no pain.

Have you seen an orthopedic or neurosurgeon yet? You really have to get an MRI to see what's causing the problem.

As you said, pain medication isn't a great way to deal with this. Just got another refill of the 10/325 Hydrocodone to get me through until the surgery. I hate the meds and am terrified of addiction. Stopped for several weeks, no withdrawal symptoms, so don't think that's an issue. But when you can barely move, they're helpful.

Bonked my head on the roof of my car. The worst thing is getting up or down to a seated position, and I just kind of fell. Nothing major, no cut or concussion, just another thing I'm dealing with.

Nice side effect, but pain is an excellent way to lose weight. 30 lbs. since late April. Appetite is non-existent. Forcing myself to eat, but at times it's just to painful to get up and make a sandwich or throw something in the microwave. I'm a really good cook, but those skills are temporarily on hold.

Another one of those "way to much info" posts, but if it helps others or somebody has advice for me, it's worth it.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Yeah!!! Lost another five lbs. Soon I'll be back to my high school weight :ph34r:

Finally saw the orthopedic surgeon today, surgery scheduled for Sept. 20, ugh. So at least another seven weeks of agony then hopefully some relief. Disc bulging out from between the vertebrae. Kind of nervous about it, doctor said it would be a small incision, maybe 1 1/2 inches, but my appendix was removed and my rotator cuff repaired, each with three tiny incisions, barely any scar. 1 1/2 inches is huge to me, plus they're going to go in right next to the nerves, what if there's one of those "oops" moments? "Oh well, his left leg will be paralyzed, but we tried".

Tried to just walk my dog and maybe get into a slow jog. Immediately fell on my ass, scraped my left arm (minor road rash). Won't try that again for a while. Actually moving and doing things helps, but only in short doses of 30 minutes or so, and then I pay for it for the next few days. I guess I'll just be a couch potato and keep up with the DVR until the surgery. It's really odd to feel like you're 90 when I'm only mid '50s.

Everything else is fine, BP, heart, cholesterol, etc. But wow, when nerves come into the picture, watch out.

One odd thing is the only way I can even deal with this is with pain meds. No addiction issues, I've been very careful. But the surgeon has a policy of no meds until after surgery. He could see how much it hurt, could barely stand up, let alone get on the exam table. So I have to go to my PCP, he knows the situation, and he'll subscribe them. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks