What's new

Fasting (Detoxification and Glycogen replenishing) (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Mike, I'm just as guilty as Scott. But we're not that extreme, maybe pushing the boundaries a bit, but we're polite and know what's allowed and what isn't.

Even my "Naked and Afraid" comments were based on a legitimate show from the Discovery Channel. Might be time to lighten up on the rules as the networks are going far beyond what they used to show.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
No rules lightening necessary, Stan.

Note the laughing emoticon I used. Just having some fun with y'all...thinking about sitting around...fasting...naked.

I haven't seen any episodes of Naked & Afraid. But I'm an avid Survivor fan (seen every episode). On Survivor, they need to be able to start a fire on their own in order to boil water for drinking. But on "Naked & Afraid" it doesn't even sound like they supply a pot to hold the water. That would be difficult.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Mike, they're allowed to bring one item with them. Normally one person brings a flint or fire starter of some sort and the other person brings a knife. Other than that, naked says it all, so they can't be shy. I think there was one episode I saw where neither one brought anything for fire, so back to the old-fashioned rubbing sticks together to make a flame.

It's actually a pretty fun show to watch. Far more realistic than Survivor. Just a man and a woman, alone in the wilderness and they have to survive, no help from the crew unless it's a medical emergency.Didn't even realize it until this thread popped up again, but did a little checking and the show starts a new season on the 29th. They're showing some of last years episodes and then new ones kick in.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Stan said:
Have you ever done anything like completely cutting out all carbs and fat, sticking with lean proteins, veggies and fruit?
Over the decades I tried various permutations of this.

(These are strictly my own long term anecdotal experiences).

I found that when I completely eliminated meat entirely, I always had an underlying feeling of "constant hunger". This was largely independent of how much "other stuff" I was eating. Even when I was eating lots of highly "filling" type foods (such as cheese), I still had that persistent feeling of "constant hunger".

When I was regularly eating meat, I found my sleep was deeper and more refreshing than when I wasn't eating any meat.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr

Stan

Senior HTF Member
jcroy said:
The strangest permutation of this that I came across, was drinking coffee and eating nothing else for several consecutive days at a time.

It seemed like my brain went into overdrive, and was thinking all kinds of weird things. The closest analogy I can compare this experience to, would be what happened to 7of9 in the Star Trek: Voyager season 6 episode "The Voyager Conspiracy".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Voyager_Conspiracy
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/The_Voyager_Conspiracy
Oh sure, bring up a Voyager episode. I own almost all the Star Trek DVDs (Enterprise was probably my favorite series), but never bought any of the Voyager seasons. Well I'll do a little digging and find it somewhere.
Never tried the coffee diet, but I'm terribly sensitive to caffeine so it would have been decaf anyway, basically coffee flavored water.I have been trying different teas. Earl Grey or English Breakfast Tea is wonderful. Herbal teas of any type, yuck. Green tea, yuck. Chamomile, tastes like I picked weeds out of my garden and brewed them, also another yuck.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Stan,I too don't like Green tea, and I've tried it while fasting. I do love Celestial Seasonings herbal tea, however. I have about a cup or two per week during some fasts.

Jcroy,

I frequently drink very weak coffee (and of course, water) when fasting. The coffee I drink is so weak that my wife refers to it as 'colored water' rather than coffee. I really don't need it, and usually find that by the third week of fasting I tire of the taste (even in its weakened state).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Ockeghem said:
I frequently drink very weak coffee (and of course, water) when fasting. The coffee I drink is so weak that my wife refers to it as 'colored water' rather than coffee. I really don't need it, and usually find that by the third week of fasting I tire of the taste (even in its weakened state).
I was drinking coffee without any sugar or cream/milk. One time all I was drinking was espresso and nothing else.

These days I generally avoid drinking coffee, tea, sodas, etc ... for the most part.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
jcroy said:
I was drinking coffee without any sugar or cream/milk. One time all I was drinking was espresso and nothing else.

These days I generally avoid drinking coffee, tea, sodas, etc ... for the most part.
I take my coffee black, like my men (just kidding, a very old "Airplane" reference).

But I also enjoy coffee just as is, no cream or sugar. It's actually surprising, but it's sometimes hard to find. Everything is whipped, flavored or who knows what else. Asking for just a plain cup of coffee, the baristas seem lost, like I'm an alien from another planet.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
In terms of other permutations (other than the "extreme" cases), I've found that most of them didn't make much of a difference in the long term, other than making me constantly obssess about what I was going to eat (or not eat). The "extreme" cases were typically more detrimental to my short-term sanity than physical health, such as: espresso-only, meat-only, vodka-only, candy-only, only watching tv, etc ...

I've gradually come to the conclusion that I was largely fooling myself in pursuing such dietary restrictions and hoping that it was a path to "nirvana" (for lack of a better description).

In regard to "fasting", I no longer believe it's a path to "nirvana" either. I've done enough multi-day (or week+ long) fasts when I was younger, to come to the realization that I wasn't feeling any better than before. (Other than being relatively inactive during the fasts).

These days, "fasting" is something that is more happenstance for me than anything deliberately planned. If I am caught up in the moment doing something, I frequently will skip meals. I eat when I feel like it and have the time. As a result, I've had many random days where I didn't eat anything and went straight to sleep when I got home.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Stan said:
But I also enjoy coffee just as is, no cream or sugar. It's actually surprising, but it's sometimes hard to find. Everything is whipped, flavored or who knows what else. Asking for just a plain cup of coffee, the baristas seem lost, like I'm an alien from another planet.
Really?How hards could it be to find? Starbucks alone probably brews 100k gallons of plain old coffee every day of the week.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Patrick_S said:
Really?How hards could it be to find? Starbucks alone probably brews 100k gallons of plain old coffee every day of the week.
Believe it or not, but I have never, ever been to a Starbucks. Nothing personal against them when they started becoming popular, I just wasn't into coffee at the time. Now it has almost become a moral imperative. Not really boycotting them, but I prefer to support the small mom & pop drive thru places and other small coffee shops, where it can be hard to find just regular coffee. Everything seems to be some fancy, foamy, flavored coffee drink.
Also easier to make my own sometimes. I've got a very nice coffee maker, uses whole beans, grinds them just before brewing, and it runs on a timer, so I can set it to make a fresh pot of coffee every morning while I'm still sleeping. Of course it sounds like a jet engine, so usually wakes me up, but other than that, it's pretty decent.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Jesus could fly down from heaven and tell me to my face that dry fasting is a good idea and I would not believe it for a second. Dehydration? I think not.

(Yeah, I'm Jewish, but still. . .)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Aaron,

Moses could fly down from heaven and tell me the same thing and I wouldn't believe it. And he is recorded as having gone for forty days without both.

(Yeah, I'm Christian, but still...). ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks