What's new

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
School of Rock is a wonderful film. An ode to rock and roll wrapped in a family-friendly piece of warm cinema. It’s funny, charming, silly, and heartfelt in all the right amounts. Comedies tend to start out as ideas, concepts that then must be populated with actors to deliver the funny. How refreshing, then, to find a comedy with a concept that could not possibly exist without the actor chosen as lead. Jack Black is electric, mesmerizing and born to play the primary in School of Rock. The film simply could not work without him. This release is the same content as before with a fancy new Steelbook package. A 4K release would have been ideal. Should have been what we got, but if you don’t already own it and are interested, this is worthwhile, nonetheless.

School of Rock (2003)

Released: 03 Oct 2003
Rated: PG-13
Runtime: 109 min

Director: Richard Linklater
Genre: Comedy, Music...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I had mistakenly thought that this was going to be a 4K UHD release. I have the previous blu-ray from 2012, so won't need to upgrade. Thanks for clearing that up.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I’m a bit less thrilled than Neil, as this is an older transfer that’s not up to current tech. One of those that fine from a nominal seating distance.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Wonderful review, Neil. I saw this when it first came out on home video, and I guess I need to visit it again. For me, Jack Black tends to tread a fine line between entertaining and grating, but I do recall his enthusiasm for rock, which really is the point of the movie. I either didn't know, or forgot that Mike White wrote the screenplay. I enjoy his sense of humor. The Good Girl is one of his that always amused me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks