What's new

Schindler's List (1993) (1 Viewer)

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
It’s such an emotionally draining experience I don’t know if I want to go thru that again.

I think between the original theatrical run and today I had only seen it one time, either on laserdisc or DVD, i forget which.

But even though it is draining for me too I did sit through the whole 3 hours, 16 minutes without even getting up for a bathroom break. It is riveting.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
(On a tangent).

Outside of the movie, the story of Amon Goeth's descendents could be a movie in itself. In particular, the tragic life of his daughter and granddaughter.

https://www.cnn.com/2016/01/29/world/my-grandfather-would-have-shot-me/index.html

(Amon Goeth was played by Ralph Fiennes in the movie).

As a double-tangent, I still have no idea how Fiennes didn't win the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor in that role. IMO he was heads and shoulders above the other nominees, chilling performance.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Saw it today for the first time since seeing in the theater 25 years ago. Wow. Even better than I thought it would be....I have to admit there was a lot of the film I'd forgotten in 25 years. Good intro to the movie by Spielberg himself.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Spielberg previewed SL in Dallas, where I saw it with my children. The audience left in stunned silence. I didn't see it again until a couple of years ago when Cinemark showed it during a special series. Still left me in a state of stunned silence. And yes, Fiennes was the embodiment of the banality of evil and the best performance by a supporting actor, notwithstanding the sentimental, yet effective, favorite.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I saw it last night and was the only person in the theater. It's obviously an incredibly powerful movie but I had forgotten how great the actors (from Neeson, Kingsley, Fiennes to the extras) are in it. I can understand why people would avoid seeing it again but I 'had' to go because I wanted to see a superior work of art on a movie theater screen.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I was just checking the aspect ratio at imdb and they had it listed as 1.33:1 which it definitely isn't.

"
Technical Specs
Runtime:
195 min | 185 min (TV)
Sound Mix:
DTS | DTS-Stereo
Color:
Black and White | Color
Aspect Ratio:
1.33 : 1 "

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm going today as I have never seen it before and want to correct that oversight in a movie theater. It is in a reserved-seating theater, and as of yet, no one has bought tickets for a show starting in three hours. It would not surprise me to be the only one there, either.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
As a double-tangent, I still have no idea how Fiennes didn't win the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor in that role. IMO he was heads and shoulders above the other nominees, chilling performance.
And, might I add, Liam Neeson should've won the Oscar, as well.
Thought so then and feel so now.

BTW, I just recently learned that Mr. Schindler and Mr. Neeson were equal in height, standing at 6'-4".

Last edited:

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I'm seeing this tomorrow. I don't think I actually caught it in theaters during it's original release.

Reactions: PMF

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Hey, I won't actually be alone in there! Three other people bought tickets so far!

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Nearly 24 years ago, a local organization had made arrangements for a special theatrical showing of "Schindler's List", which included a guest speaker. This guest speaker was one of the depicted survivors from the film. He was the boy who hid out in the cesspool of the prison camp toilet. His name was Olek Rosner.

It is quite a powerful thing to sit in a theater watching this masterpiece, on its own terms; but to know that you are also sharing this viewing experience in the presence of an actual survivor from this very "List" brought its power and message all the closer.

Mr. Rosner was a true gentleman; to which his visit had graced our town.
A most life-affirming and transformative day.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Good intro to the movie by Spielberg himself.

For anyone who saw it, what did this intro say? Although my local Cinemark had the poster on display for some time, they did not actually book the movie, so I had to go to a different theater which I had never been to before, and I was slightly delayed in getting into the movie due to finding the right auditorium. This theater has the box office on the ground level of a big mall, but the actual auditoriums were upstairs, and naturally, the elevator, which was very slow, was positioned as far away as possible on the opposite side of the floor from the location of the room where Schindler's List was being shown. So, I barely got there in time.

I heard Spielberg's voice as I was opening the door to the auditorium, but then the Universal logo was on screen. I came in and the movie started immediately. I didn't miss any of the actual film, but did miss the intro and didn't have any time to really adjust or get situated before being thrust directly into the film. So that was frankly a little disorienting. I'm used to getting into theaters early enough to adjust before the film actually starts.

I thought the film was absolutely fantastic, and it's been a while since Spielberg made something this good. Certainly The Post and Ready Player One, while fine for what they are, are not anywhere near on this level. It was a sensational experience from top to bottom. Even though it was long, I really felt like it earned every moment and didn't waste anything or have anything that could have been removed to shorten it. Certainly there is incredible craftsmanship on every level here, and it coalesced perfectly into an extraordinary film, and I am glad I was able to experience that in a movie theater.

I find its re-release grosses both unsurprising and unfortunate because they reinforce the difficulty in getting re-releases of important films to happen outside of Fathom Events bookings (which are extremely overpriced in this market.) I wish more people in the general public placed value in being able to see important works of art like this in a theater environment so that re-releases could be more a more commonplace part of the current theatrical landscape.

Last edited:

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
I started watching this on Netflix last night but wasn't able to finish due to time. I'm hoping to finish up this week.

I recall seeing it in the theater, a truly powerful film.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Amazing box office success for this movie back on original release. I think Spielberg donated all of his proceeds to charity, specifically to found and fund the Shoah Foundation....

http://sfi.usc.edu/

Amazing that the movie itself was made for only $22m. It looks to me like at least double that up there on the screen, even accounting for 25 years of inflation.

Schindler's List
Domestic Total Gross: $96,065,768
Domestic Lifetime Gross: $96,616,768
Distributor: Universal Release Date: December 15, 1993
Genre: War Drama Runtime: 3 hrs. 14 min.
MPAA Rating: R Production Budget: $22 million
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $96,616,768 30.0%
+ Foreign: $225,240,537 70.0%
= Worldwide: $321,857,305

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks