What's new

Schindler's List (1993)

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Title: Schindler's List

Tagline: Whoever saves one life, saves the world entire.

Genre: Drama, History, War

Director: Steven Spielberg

Cast: Liam Neeson, Ben Kingsley, Ralph Fiennes, Caroline Goodall, Jonathan Sagall, Embeth Davidtz, Malgorzata Gebel, Shmuel Levy, Mark Ivanir, Béatrice Macola, Andrzej Seweryn, Friedrich von Thun, Krzysztof Luft, Harry Nehring, Norbert Weisser, Adi Nitzan, Michael Schneider, Miri Fabian, Anna Mucha, Albert Misak, Aldona Grochal, Jacek Wójcicki, Beata Paluch, Piotr Polk, Ezra Dagan, Uri Avrahami, Elina Löwensohn, Magdalena Komornicka, Michael Gordon, Beata Deskur, Rami Heuberger, Leopold Kozlowski, Jerzy Nowak, Magdalena Dandourian, Paweł Deląg, Shabtai Konorti, Oliwia Dabrowska, Henryk Bista, Tadeusz Bradecki, Wojciech Klata, Ewa Kolasińska, Bettina Kupfer, Grzegorz Kwas, Vili Matula, Stanislaw Koczanowicz, Hans-Jörg Assmann, Geno Lechner, August Schmölzer, Ludger Pistor, Beata Rybotycka, Branko Lustig, Artus-Maria Matthiessen, Hans-Michael Rehberg, Eugeniusz Priwieziencew, Michael Z. Hoffmann, Erwin Leder, Jochen Nickel, Andrzej Welminski, Daniel Del-Ponte, Marian Glinka, Grzegorz Damięcki, Stanislaw Brejdygant, Olaf Lubaszenko, Haymon Maria Buttinger, Peter Appiano, Jacek Pulanecki, Tomasz Dedek, Slawomir Holland, Martin Semmelrogge, Tadeusz Huk, Alexander Held, Piotr Cyrwus, Joachim Paul Assböck, Osman Ragheb, Maciej Orłoś, Marek Wrona, Zbigniew Kozlowski, Marcin Grzymowicz, Dieter Witting, Agnieszka Krukówna, Anemona Knut, Jeremy Flynn, Agnieszka Wagner, Jan Jurewicz, Wiesław Komasa, Maciej Kozłowski, Martin Bergmann, Wilhelm Manske, Peter Flechtner, Sigurd Bemme, Etl Szyc, Lucyna Zabawa, Ruth Farhi, Jerzy Sagan, Dariusz Szymaniak, Dirk Bender, Maciej Winkler, Radosław Krzyżowski, Jacek Lenczowski, Hanna Kossowska, Maja Ostaszewska, Sebastian Skalski, Ryszard Radwanski, Piotr Kadlcik, Lech Niebielski, Thomas Morris, Sebastian Konrad, Lidia Wyrobiec-Bank, Ravit Ferera, Agnieszka Korzeniowska, Dominika Bednarczyk, Alicja Kubaszewska, Danny Marcu, Hans Rosner, Edward Linde Lubaszenko, Alexander Strobele, Georges Kern, Alexander Buczolich, Michael Schiller, Götz Otto, Wolfgang Seidenberg, Hubert Kramar, Razia Israeli, Dorit Seadia, Esti Yerushalmi, Marta Bizoń, Michelle Csitos, Blythe Daniel, Janek Dresner, Maciej Kowalewski, Kamil Krawiec, Zuzanna Lipiec, Maria Peszek, Leopold Pfefferberg, Leopold Rosner, Emilie Schindler, Katarzyna Smiechowicz, Ben Talar, Katarzyna Tlalka

Release: 1993-12-15

Runtime: 195

Plot: The true story of how businessman Oskar Schindler saved over a thousand Jewish lives from the Nazis while they worked as slaves in his factory during World War II.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Is it clear to anyone if this is *only* at Dolby Cinema locations?

My only one of those is at the AMC which I don't like, so I won't go there.

If it comes to my Cinemark as well, then I would go

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The article says in formats such as 4K and Dolby Cinema. I don't think it is exclusive and I hope not as I don't have an AMC anywhere near me.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
A poster and trailer has been released.

Not the slightest hint of teal in this trailer.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don't know if I could bear to watch this in a theater with an audience. Especially if it's the kind of audience that I'm used to these days, that is, one that spends more time playing with their personal devices or talking to their neighbors than actually watching the film.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I remember as though it was yesterday seeing this opening day 25 years ago on the upper east side of Manhattan when it was just in a few theaters.

An experience I won’t soon forget.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I saw it with my 3 teen-aged children when Spielberg previewed it in Dallas, knowing nothing about it. We left, along with the audience, in stunned silence. My wife and I saw it a couple of years ago in a DCP screening that looked damned good. It still had the same effect. Ralph Fiennes was robbed.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Among the greatest films ever made and yeah its hard to watch. But so powerful. The score by John Williams is unbelievably good. The acting and direction. Truly just everything about SL is first rate.

I will say this: Tommy Lee was fantastic in The Fugitive. And at that time of his career; I think he earned it.

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
Among the greatest films ever made and yeah its hard to watch. But so powerful. The score by John Williams is unbelievably good. The acting and direction. Truly just everything about SL is first rate.

I will say this: Tommy Lee was fantastic in The Fugitive. And at that time of his career; I think he earned it.

It's too bad that The Fugitive and Schindler's List both came out the same year. If either one had come out the year after or the year before the other, both Fiennes and Jones would be Oscar winners.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I don't know if I could bear to watch this in a theater with an audience. Especially if it's the kind of audience that I'm used to these days, that is, one that spends more time playing with their personal devices or talking to their neighbors than actually watching the film.
OTOH, that's the kind of audience that's extremely unlikely to actually go see a 25-year old, 3+ hour long B&W film about the Holocaust.

Like a lot of you here, I vividly remember my one theatrical viewing of this film after it opened wide in February 1994. It remains the most powerful, emotional movie-going experience of my life.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
OTOH, that's the kind of audience that's extremely unlikely to actually go see a 25-year old, 3+ hour long B&W film about the Holocaust.

I'm actually not that worried about the 25 year olds. They're rarely the problem.

I've seen "2001" a bunch this year as it's been back in theaters, and the younger people seeing it for the first time (or seeing it on the big screen for the first time) are never a problem or distraction - they're often excited for the chance to see a classic on a big screen and treat the movie with respect. It's often the older people, those who saw it when it first came out, who sometimes act as if that means etiquette no longer applies to them. The attitude seems to be, "I saw it before you were born, which gives me the right to talk during it." Or that the pre-show announcement to turn off your cell phone was meant for everyone but them, and that while everyone else's phone is a distraction, the announcement was clearly not referring to them. It's a little bizarre.

I may very well still go - but I know I would be absolutely heartbroken if I actually had to shush someone or ask someone to turn off their phone during this one particular movie. It's one thing if someone is a distraction during "2001" but quite another when you're watching a movie about the genocide of your own people and then having that interrupted by someone playing with their phone.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm actually not that worried about the 25 year olds. They're rarely the problem.

I've seen "2001" a bunch this year as it's been back in theaters, and the younger people seeing it for the first time (or seeing it on the big screen for the first time) are never a problem or distraction - they're often excited for the chance to see a classic on a big screen and treat the movie with respect. It's often the older people, those who saw it when it first came out, who sometimes act as if that means etiquette no longer applies to them. The attitude seems to be, "I saw it before you were born, which gives me the right to talk during it." Or that the pre-show announcement to turn off your cell phone was meant for everyone but them, and that while everyone else's phone is a distraction, the announcement was clearly not referring to them. It's a little bizarre.
I've said it before and I'll say it again but in my experience, some old people just do not give a fuck. They will talk as loud and as often as they want and there's nothing reasonable that you can do to get them to stop. Just the other week, I saw Eighth Grade at my local art house (and not a multiplex) and two older ladies talked through the whole thing despite people "shushing" them through out.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I've said it before and I'll say it again but in my experience, some old people just do not give a fuck. They will talk as loud and as often as they want and there's nothing reasonable that you can do to get them to stop. Just the other week, I saw Eighth Grade at my local art house (and not a multiplex) and two older ladies talked through the whole thing despite people "shushing" them through out.

I've also noticed that while theaters will occasionally toss a rowdy teenager out, they'll never take action against an older patron under any circumstance, which makes it extra frustrating.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I was at my Cinemark yesterday to see Juliet, Naked and Searching and noticed they put up the new poster for Schindler's List on display prominently. So, therefore, it's definitely not exclusive to AMC. I expect to go to it now. I have never seen the film before (being way too young for it in 1993) and was meaning to get to it on Netflix, but now I will wait for the opportunity to see it on the big screen for my first viewing.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor

I've seen "2001" a bunch this year as it's been back in theaters, and the younger people seeing it for the first time (or seeing it on the big screen for the first time) are never a problem or distraction - they're often excited for the chance to see a classic on a big screen and treat the movie with respect. ...

Huh? Not sure why my post prompted this. I was referring to the age of the film, not the age of the audience. I was in no way calling out younger people as problematic.

So can we please stop painting whole groups of people with one brush?? Some people are just assholes. If they are assholes when they're old, they've likely been assholes their entire lives. Like the guy in his late 30s/early 40s in my screening of LoA in Austin last weekend who kept yelling "Open the curtains" at the top of his voice during the overture. This guy, who from the self-satisfied look on his face clearly considered himself quite the comedian, was surely a jerk as a teenager, and he'll be a jerk until the day they lower him into the ground.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Huh? Not sure why my post prompted this. I was referring to the age of the film, not the age of the audience. I was in no way calling out younger people as problematic.

I apologize Craig, I was reading quickly and mistook the "25" number for age of patrons rather than films.

So can we please stop painting whole groups of people with one brush?? Some people are just assholes. If they are assholes when they're old, they've likely been assholes their entire lives.

I don't disagree, and I didn't mean to suggest otherwise.

I was trying to make the point that sometimes, at repertory screenings, the worst behaved people in the audience are those who were around when the movie was in theaters originally, I guess because they feel that it's "their" movie and that they can do whatever they want. But it's not limited to people that are higher in age; you can see a re-release of a Marvel film from a few years ago, and the people who are going to talk through the movie will probably be the ones who saw it five years ago when it was first in theaters, and the ones who are more likely to be quiet are those seeing it in theaters for the first time who have been waiting for the chance to do so. In my experience, it's also been true that theater employees have been more willing to confront a 16 year old causing a disruption than they are a 46 year old or a 66 year old.

But from my point of view as a (hopefully) well-behaved audience member, I don't care what the age of the disruptive patron is. I don't understand why anyone would pay for a movie ticket to then not watch the movie, but it seems to happen a lot.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks