What's new

Scarface Platinum...still next Tue? Reviews anywhere? (1 Viewer)

Sergio

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sergio Perez-More
Hello,

Well, I can't wait to get this title on Tuesday. I want the best PQ and Sound to relax and enjoy.

Here are some pics of my little Home Theater setup. By the way, I'm a Cuban-American who came to USA in a raft in april of 1994 as a political refugee with no money, no family, and no understanding of the English language, only a head full of dreams.

Today I'm a living example that with hard work and perseverance and not the way it is portrayed in the movie, anything is possible in this beautiful country. The American dream is alive.

"The World is Mine"

God bless America.

Regards,

With my little girl Stefanie Maria Perez, number 1 Home Theater fan. Hopefully everything will be hers one day.

Return to visit after 11 years in exile... Havana, Cuba / August 25 2005

Jonathon M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathon
Is anyone going to call Preston Jones a jackass? I'm sorry, but jesus christ...

" Here's where Universal hopes to make amends for the uproar caused by the previous "anniversary edition" – many fans of the film, who caught the limited engagement, 20th anniversary theatrical re-release of Scarface in 2003, noted that on the subsequent "anniversary edition" DVD, the action sequences lacked a certain punch, with gunshots and explosions sounding thin, tinny and wholly without presence."

Nevermind that these new sound fx don't necessarily match the Director's intentions...

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
The DVD talk review says the video quality is the same as the 03 release.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

I noticed that, but it's supposed to be completely remastered so I don't know what to believe at this point.

Sergio

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sergio Perez-More
One of the things that I disagree with in the Preston Jones review at DVDTalk is his statement "Some of the film's lugubriousness owes to the fact that DePalma, in a move that somewhat smacks of latent racism, elected to use very few Hispanic or Latino actors, relying instead on heavily made-up Caucasians whose mangled, dodgy Cuban accents provide an unintentional element of camp to the otherwise deadly serious proceedings "

In my opinion Al Pacino does a wonderful job with the cuban accent, it is a fact that he spent months between cuban people learning the accent and mannerisms, and he picked it up well. Remember, this is coming from a cuban's standpoint. One more thing, Manny Ribera (Steven Bauer) is Cuban in real life.

Regards,

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
maybe pacino did a good job with the accent but the whole thing was so over the top it just becomes a parody of itself as the movies continues.

more funny then serious.

i bought the box set a couple years ago.
dont need to buy this again.

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams

I caught that limited engagment. One of the best theater experiences I've ever had, hands down. But the sounds sounded noticeably new, and remixed. I found that it made a great experience in the theater, but I still would like to have that original track.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
I wish they would just release the original Scarface separately. I avoided buying the "super-deluxe" set or whatever they named it 3 years ago which had the original classic.

Cassy_w

Second Unit
So what we need is the HD transfer with 5.1 audio that was shown on HDNet Movies. The audio was not re-recorded, but remixed. THAT is the version to have. I think I recorded it. Will have to check my tapes.

DavidDTS

Agent
Real Name
David

PQ still pretty crummy (same as 04).......audio was good but picture is begging for an HD upgrade

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

Good to know as I'll probably just hold on to the previous disc --- especially since it has the unaltered, original audio.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
There is absolutely NOTHING crummy about the picture quality on either the Anniversary Edition or the Platinum edition. NOTHING.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

Mike, issues of relative quality aside, do you agree with the assessment that the pictures on the AE and the PE are identical?

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
The back cover is claiming "Digital Remastered Picture". if they didn't do a new transfer, what else could they have done to make this claim?

Just curious...

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
"Digitally Remastered" compared to what? It's definitely a step up from the original DVD. Unfortunately, that's just vague marketing-speak, as far as I'm concerned, and it tells me close to nothing.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

The 20th Anniv. DVD also says "Digital Remastered Picture" which means both the Anniversary and Platinum editions are remastered to look better than the original Scarface DVD(which looked like total ass I might add).

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

Ah that's a good point. It has been remastered any more since 2003, but it's still a "remastered" version to them I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks