What's new

Scarface Platinum...still next Tue? Reviews anywhere? (1 Viewer)

DavidDTS

Agent
Real Name
David

Fantastic....wish they would've got it right the 1st time but at least it's now ready for prime time.....

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
OK, that clip in the IGN link just sold me on this disc. The sound alone makes it worth an upgrade to me. :emoji_thumbsup:

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps I'm reading into this wrong, but what exactly is this supposed to mean:

the sounds have not only been remastered, but re-recorded, producing more clear and voluminous sound...

I wasn't eager to double-dip on this anyways, but I'm curious to know if this means Universal actually replaced spot effects like gunshots and such from the original mix with "newer" and "updated" recordings. If so... wow.

I hope I read into that wrongly.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the sound re-recording issue is contentious, and it is one of the main reasons I decided not to double-dip on this release before I purchased an HD DVD player. Now I certainly wouldn't purchase it, since you know Universal will have an HD DVD release 'around the corner'.

Although there is always a simple solution to these matters that never seems to be implemented by the studio, which is include both the original and 'pumped up' audio. Why is that so hard?

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
So people who want the original audio won't sell their old copy so there will be less used versions floating out there?

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator
I was looking at this but I think I'll skip it too. Comparing the rifle sounds in the clip from IGN, the one in the new version sounds not only completely different but also really weird and out of place.

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
Does anybody know if DePalma has been involved with this release? He put his foot down the last time Universal approached him about updating Scarface. If he was involved I'm gonna buy the HD DVD release, if not, I'm gonna pass altogether.

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the info, Christian.

Hopefully this new producer's mix won't replace the director's version.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i thought de palma was the one who wanted to change the soundtrack to an all new hip hop track

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I know a lot of people who are much more hardcore film buffs than I will say that changing the sound like this compromises the "artistic integrity" of the film or something along those lines. I, however, welcome the change as the orginal audio track is absolutely horrible. The sound effects are about as powerful as banging together tin cans and shooting off BB guns. I look forward to hearing this film with an updated soundtrack.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
I'm wanting to know definitively if the picture has been remastered above and beyond the quality found on the Anniversary Edition; if so, that pisses me off that to get the best video quality, I'd have to sacrifice the original soundtrack.

Edward Schatz

Second Unit
I am also quite perturbed that to get the best picture I have sacrifice the original audio. I also agree with the above comment that the new gunfire sounds awkward (though this may be a function of having seen the film before).

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The original mix for Scarface was state of the art, and one of the final releases to be screened theatrically in magnetic 4-track stereo.

Scarface received a nomination for Best Sound Editing and Sound Effects by the Motion Picture Sound Editors, USA in 1984.

RAH

Edward Schatz

Second Unit

Sadly, I think this release is pitched more to the Cribs crowd than people who appreciate state of the art in 1983.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks