Scarface: DC in 2002?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Mirza, Nov 29, 2001.

1. Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza Supporting Actor

Rolling Stone reports that rapper Jay-Z is exec-producing the new soundtrack to Scarface: director's Cut.

Now, I have heard info that Scarface is getting an ULTIMATE EDITION DVD in 2002, but what I hadn't known was that they were recutting it.

And I don't know about putting new hip-hop music into it. I like Moroder's score as it is.

2. Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant Second Unit

Boy if this is true I am going to pick up the region 2 copy without even blinking an eye.

I love his score and the music while dated certainly fits more than rap or hip hop

-- Matt

3. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

Damnit, I knew something was up when all those rappers on MTV Cribs had a copy of Scarface on DVD! [​IMG]
    If Jay-Z is adding hip-hop/r&b/rap/whatnot into the film, I will personally go to his house and kick his ass. Scarface is one of DePalma's best (right before he turned into a no talented hack), and the film shouldn't be recut *or* be getting a new "hipper" soundtrack.

4. Mark Palermo

Mark Palermo Second Unit

This is a horrible idea, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't morbidly curious.

And De Palma never turned into a hack. If anything he's the most underrated, misunderstood and unfairly dissed filmmaker working today--though Bonfire was admittedly weak.

Mark

5. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

I knew rap music would be the end of the world, but this is ridiculous! Well, if it's in the movie... I will not buy it. Which is a shame because I was waiting for a DC DVD to buy because I didn't want the current one. Jay-Z is lame and why should someone lame be messing with such a great film. If he's funding a DC version with no rap, I will buy it.

Good god the sky is falling!

6. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

7. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

We all have our opinions and my opinion is Mission to Mars and Casualties of War are fantastic films.

8. Patrick Mirza

Mark, I totally agree with you. De Palma has been the critics' punching bag for far too long (well, except for Pauline Kael).

And aside from Wise Guys (which is nearly unwatchable), I think his recent filmography has been very good (yes, I liked Mission to Mars and Snake Eyes).

Carlito's Way is damn near his masterpiece. What a GREAT film! That ending chase alone is worth the purchase price.

"Here come da pain!" - f***in' classic!

9. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer

In a way, this presumed DC makes sense: So much of the gangsta rap aesthetic comes from SCARFACE (it comes up in interviews with the performers all the time). But it's a bad idea.

10. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! Does anyone here think the Ultimate Edition disc will feature the original soundtrack?
    Jesus, my buddy Marty is going to have a field day with this news! (Unless he knows already)
    Jason

11. Ross Williams

Ross Williams Supporting Actor

I'm probably about the only one on this board that would be interested in seeing this version. I for one, like Jay-Z's music and think it would fit in pretty well with this ganster flick. However, I will be incredibly pissed if this is the only version available. I really don't care what filmmakers do to their films as long as they leave the original available. (That's why I have such hatred for Star Wars: SE) I don't think De Palma is that type of director though. I think we'll definately be able to get the original version too.

12. bill lopez

bill lopez Second Unit

Well, it could be worse. They could've removed Pacino and inserted Puff Daddy. This could be the start of a trend.
    The same way artists allowed the use of their 70's songs for rap the same thing can happen to films. Money talks.[​IMG]

13. Brett Cameron

Brett Cameron Stunt Coordinator

14. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

I like Depalma. He has made some of my most favorite films of all time. Scarface of course being my alltime #1 film! And Carlitos Way and The Unouchables are right up there as well. Anyway, to the matter at hand, I have been waiting for a special edition,directors cut or some kind of remastering ever since the original came out on dvd. The dvd is horrible. Bad picture and bad sound. I am now very excited to hear about a DC edition. But whats all this talk about updating the score to the film??? I hope they do not plan on destroying a great film with a terrible soundtrack. The original is awesome. I am still trying to get my hands on the soundtrack. Jayz rapin Scarface? Thats like sacrilege. I like some rap music, just better not be in Scarface! Speaking of the Scarface soundtrack there is a song on GTA3 for the PS2, I thought that was pretty cool. Anyway, I am all for a DC of Scarface, just not for a Jayz soundtrack.

15. Ben_J_L

Ben_J_L Stunt Coordinator

Well ive always thought that the one thing i'd change in Scarface would be the music, its just dated really terribly, the score itself is great, its just the 80's synthesisers that sound really terrible.

16. Patrick Mirza

Yeah, and ten years later the Jay-Z produced rap score will be dated as hell, too.

Does anyone think today's rap has an actual sustainable shelf life?

No one's gonna know who the hell Sisqo was 20 years from now! Gimme a break!

17. Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard Supporting Actor

Wasn't this same question being asked when Run DMC, Beastie Boys, Eric B & Rakim and Public Enemy burst onto the scene about fifteen years ago?

18. bill lopez

bill lopez Second Unit

SCARFACE is dated 80's music because the movie is about 1980! To put rap in it, is like what next rap hip-hop music for GREASE & SAT. NITE FEVER?[​IMG]

19. Patrick Mirza

You have great taste! I love Run DMC, Beastie Boys, Eric B & Rakim and Public Enemy... that's rap with TALENT behind it.

Everyhting went into the tubes once gangster rap started taking over. Evrything they rap about now is about how much $$$, women or platinum sales they have.

It's just tired.

And correct me if I'm wrong: how is today's rap music going to fit in with a film that's set in 1980? Even my wife wanted to know that!

20. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    I don't have a problem with a new Jay-Z soundtrack as long as the original Moroder score is also released on the Ultimate Edition. That's a fine tradeoff for a nice new anamorphic transfer.

Jeff