What's new

Scaling DVD player and fixed 720p TV ? (1 Viewer)

DustinTaj

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dustin
Hi guys. I've got questions about DVD players, upscaling, and a fixed 720p TV (JVC HD-ILA). I've searched the forums and found enough information to cause me more questions. Questions at the bottom.

-------------History------------

What started it was this thread:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=218434
which was originally a "help me pick a good sacd / dvd-a player." But with my recent addition of a 56" LCoS RPTV, the video performance is now critical as well.

The TV I use (JVC HD56G786) is, as most are, a fixed 720p display. It takes all inputs and scales them to 720p.

I believe I've basically decided on the Denon 2910. According to a few people it will be a great sounding SACD / DVD-A player and the 3910 would not be worth the extra money for my system (sound-wise, as they both use the same video processing).

This player can scale, according to Denon, "HDMI 1.1 (HDCP Compatible – SiL9030) - With Selectable Scaling – 480p/720p/1080i"

My TV uses a scaler that JVC calls DIST (Digital Image Scaling Technology ???).

-------------Questions-------------

Does anyone know which would have the better scaler?

Is there any benefit to using the Denon's scaler to upconvert the DVD's 480i to something like 720p or 1080i?

Assuming the Denon's scaler is superior, is there any way to avoid having the DVD player scale and then have the TV run it through it's scaler? Does matching the 720p of the TV with a 720p signal from the DVD player mean TV would not manipulate the signal?

I've read that too much scaling can soften the image and/or introduce noise or color inaccuracies.

Can some one help me understand better?

Thanks,

-DD

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
This is usually how things work - if the TV sees anything other than its native res then it will scale it to fit. Based on reputatation the Denon would have the better scaling, but it will come down to your preference.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
When my Toshiba gets a 1080i signal it defaults to the "natural" aspect ratio setting (i.e. stretching to fill the screen not imposed). It's not a direct confirmation, but it is the only time it behaves this way, where it resets to natural and the "full" setting is locked out. The JVC may have something similar.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I think Dustin was asking if there were any way to confirm that the JVC does no processing when fed it's native 720p scanrate, or perhaps if there were any way to confirm that the Denon has better conversion of 480i to 720p than the JVC. I'm not sure whether either can be confirmed.

Perhaps the thing to do would be to purchase the Denon from a store with a good return policy, take it home, and compare it's upconversion to that of the JVC. I don't know if that player will pass 480i via HDMI, but it should be able to pass both 480i and 480p via component.

DustinTaj

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dustin

Yes, Steve, that's what I was getting at.

I think I'm going to go ahead and get the DVD player. It's a lot of money, but I really want a good SACD / DVD-A player and the "excellent" video side to it is a plus. I'm sure it will look fine.

I do wish, however, that more information was available on this topic (when the tv processes, when it doesn't, which TV's look best with which DVD players, which DVD players upscale better than which TV's...etc.).

The only other DVD-A/SACD player in my price range with good audio side would be the Sherwood-Newcastle SD860. It would be about $200 cheaper. But, it does not have the awesome video side like the Denon (which I'm not sure I need). And, with so very little information on it, I can't be sure it will perform audio-wise the way I would want it to (bass management with redbook is the main uncertainty).

-DD

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks