general resolution questions...

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Ted Lee, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi all -

i have some general thoughts, but am not sure if i'm right. if someone could validate/correct i'd appreciate it.

assume i'm hooking up a progressive dvd player to a hd-rptv.

1. what resolution am i seeing? i believe it's only 480p? if so, is it possible to see 1080i or 720p?

2. do all tv's have a scaler? or is it called a de-interlacer? is there a diff?

3. is it possible to do scaling within the dvd player? would i want to vs using the tv?

4. if i use a dvi connection, but am connecting it to a rptv, is there any real benefit? i thought dvi only really shined with digital displays (fixed pixel, etc.)

thx!

ted

2. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I suppose the standard "it depends" must be said given the variations in equipment features, but that said:

1) 480p. 1080 or 720 not possible unless the player outputs it (e.g. Bravo D1 or LiteOn 2001) or RPTV converts it (not aware of any to do this to date.

2) I think you are referring to a line doubler, which basically takes an interlaced signal (e.g. non-progressive DVD player) and converts it to progressive. This is found only on progressive scan televisions.

3) Depends on the capabilities of the equipment. Some players do a poor job with a progressive signal so the TV's line doubler is prefereable. And vice versa.

4) DVI bypasses additional digital-analog conversion that would happen through component connections, so in theory DVI is always better. I have a Toshiba RPTV and a Bravo D1 outputting 1080i via DVI and the picture is superior to 480p through component. So in my experience digital display not needed to see the advantages.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

thx for the quick reply cameron. those answers do make sense. i guess i would like to see full-def if possible, but that will take a special dvd player. i'll have to look into that.

your comment on the dvi connection makes sense - less conversions should always be a good thing. glad your experience shows dvi as a benefit.

on a side note, how do you like the D1? it's one (besides the samsung) that i've been considering, but i've heard mixed reviews ... especially from a reliability pov. i really like the fact that the dvi connection is not hdcp dependent.

4. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I experienced the loading problems most others have reported, which generally required a power cycling - maybe about one out of 10 times - to have a disc load and play. Normally such a thing would be unacceptable and I did almost return it, but I couldn't get over the picture quality. Ultimately I decided to keep it and live with the loading problems. In a twisted kind of way it was sort of fun to pop in a disc and wonder if it was going to play. Most of the time it did - enough to keep me satisfied. The only disc that never worked properly was the Two Towers theatrical.

Eventually I decided to tackle a drive replacement, replacing the original with a LiteOn drive. It was a cinch and loading problems have been reduced significantly. It still happens on occasion, but now instead of a complete power cycle it just takes an eject and reload. Not a big thing to me, but YMMV.

I did compare the Samsung side by side with the D1, but the Samsung's picture looked grainy and there was a weird aspect distortion issue that no one else seemed to have. So that went back.

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hmm! didn't even realize there was a drive replacement possibility....seems like it could even be a fun side-project. thx for the mini-review....

6. Twisten

Twisten Auditioning

"i guess i would like to see full-def if possible, but that will take a special dvd player. i'll have to look into that."

Actually, even with that special dvd player (one of the current ones with DVI), you're still not going to be seeing full hi-definition. You'll just see an upconverted NTSC DVD signal. The player may output 720p or 1080i, but the source material (for now anyway) will not be any higher than 480p. That is, until true hi-definition DVD is available. You can however, see true hi-definition through cable, sattelite, DVHS...and so on.

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

okay, so i think i got it. dvd's by their very nature are no higher then 480p. in order to see true hi-def, i need some sort of "external" processing. whether that's done via the tv, the dvd itself, or something else ... that's the only way (besides what twisten listed) to see true hi-def.

since the majority of my focus is on dvd viewing (i don't think i'll care too much about the pic quality for sd broadcast), are there any certain criteria (or feature-set) i should look out for?

fwiw, i'm probably going with a mits rptv 313 series...

8. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

9. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

thx jason - that clears up the dvd resolution question! [​IMG]

10. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

DVD is 480i by nature. Anything beyond that is processed. This does NOT mean that it's not worth it, DVD processed up to 720p, 960p, whatever you want, looks stunning. But you can't *create* detail that wasn't there to begin with. 480p is doubled just the same.

But in comparison to a true HD source, it's not as good. But it is still WAY better than just plain 480i off the DVD.