What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Saw the Anchor Bay Limited Ed. of Manhunter used for 9.99 Is it Worth It? (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Just as my title says. I can pick the Limited Edition of Manhunter for 9.99 at a used DVD place near me. I'm not necessairly that interested in the film, but I figured it could be a rare find. I remember reading that one of the editions was not that good as well. Anyone have any thoughts?

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
I dont think the 2 disc LE is worth much, but for $9.99 is not a bad find. Its worth getting if you want to compare the 2 different versions of the movie, and for the few extras it has, but the Divimax Edition with commentary would be the preferred presentation, IMO.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
So how is that director's cut. Better than the Theatrical, about the same, or not as good?

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
Personally, I prefer the theatrical version, but that's just my personal choice.

Be warned though, the Director's Cut picture quality on the Anchor By Limited Edition is absolutely horrible. Having said that, $9.99 is an absolute bargain - if only for the theatrical cut!

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

Keep in mind though, that none of the Anchor Bay releases contain the true theatrical cut.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins

The Anchor Bay version has missing dialogue. Only the MGM release from Japan contains the missing dialogue and is what most consider to be the definitive version of the film.

Jeff

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
which version is the best R1 to get? Also who is on the commentary on the Divimax version?

Thanks.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Matt:

ALL of the region 1 DVDs of MANHUNTER are compromised in some way. It's hard to say which is "the best", but the newer DiviMax "Director's Cut" from Anchor Bay was personally supervised and approved by director Michael Mann, and he also does a commentary on it. However, aside from adding new footage back into the film*, he also made many, MANY edits, some very small, some not so small. It really changes the pace and mood of the film. For my money, the original theatrical cut (available on old VHS tapes, the letterboxed Warner Bros. laserdisc, the original non-anamorphic British PAL dvd, and the new MGM DVD from Japan) is by far the best version of the film, but Anchor Bay screwed that up and released a version that has a couple scenes from the "director's cut" and cuts footage in 3 other places amounting to 92-seconds.

Vincent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quinnedunn
Recent bookmarks