What's new

Saving Private Ryan - DTS edition (1 Viewer)

Phil

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

Anyone else have this problem? Near the end of the chapter #4, entitled "Breakthrough", as the two German soldiers are attempting to surrender as they exit the trench, and the American soldiers pretend not to understand them and then shoot them, the flames on the burning truck have a "flare" effect. There is also bright halos on other areas. The flare effect also extends in other flame/fire scenes. I have tried this DVD on a total of 5 players, and tried three different copies from my local DVD store. All have the same visual distortions.

My question is this, is this something that is unique to the DTS version? I used to own the DD version and do not recall this flare/halo effect.

Responses are appreciated as I would like to know if my supplier got an entire shipment that is defective, or I should just get my old DD version back.

Thanks,

Phil

Karl Englebright

Stunt Coordinator
This was an intended effect by Spielberg and should be in all of the DVD's since it was on the original movie. I have the DD version and it's there.

Hope that helps!

DanR

Supporting Actor
The effect you mention is surely present because the DTS bitstream is screwing up the picture, kind of like on the Men In Black DTS disc with the "yellow tint". :laugh:
Regards,
Dan
PS: Seriously, Karl explained it.

Phil

Stunt Coordinator
Karl and DanR,

Thanks, I guess I just never noticed it before...I guess thats why Spielberg makes the big bucks....kinda distracting though...the flare effect in one scene goes to the top of the frame and continues directly beneath it going through the dead body on the ground...oh well, what do I know anyway...

Thank you both for your speedy replies.

Phil

Phil

Stunt Coordinator
Travis,

Thanks for the link. That was exactly what I was talking about.:b :b

Sorry about that, hope I haven't resurrected "the" thread.

Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks