What's new

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 6, 1975 (1 Viewer)

Aaron Handy III

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Handy III
The New Tom & Jerry/Grape Ape Show, a new cartoon series from Hanna-Barbera, premiered - 8:30 (EDT) on ABC Saturday Morning. Here the long-popular Tom and Jerry, after years of rivalry, have (in order to appease ABC Standards and Practices!) become the best of friends (and Jerry dons a red bowtie, so the animators would be able to "fragment" his movements), in episodes wherein they roamed the world competing in sports, enduring on-the-job misadventures, running afoul of dastardly villains, solving mysteries and helping others.

Each hour-long telecast of New Tom & Jerry/Grape Ape was split into five segments in a specific format: alternating with three 7-minute New Tom & Jerry segments were two 10-minute ones concerning a 40-foot purple ape, Grape Ape (voiced by the late Bob Holt) and his fast-talking beagle buddy, a carnival hustler answering to the unlikely moniker of Beegle Beagle (voiced by Marty Ingels), or "Beegley Beagley," as G.A. would lovingly refer to him. It was Hanna-Barbera’s only new series for the 1975-1976 television season.

The first shows on the agenda that week were as follows:

"No Way, Stowaways" with Tom & Jerry
"That Was No Idol, That Was My Ape" with Grape Ape
"The Ski Bunny" with Tom & Jerry
"The All-American Ape" with Grape Ape
"Stay Awake Or Else..." with Tom & Jerry

It would add a new component series, The Mumbly Cartoon Show, in its second and final season on ABC Saturday Morning in 1976-77 as The Tom & Jerry/Grape Ape/Mumbly Show and The Tom & Jerry/Mumbly Show (when Grape Ape parted ways with the cast in November 1976 only to resurface on Sunday mornings in 1977-78 as The Great Grape Ape Show). Following the completion of its network run in 1977, the 48 New Tom & Jerry cartoons from 1975 (now The Tom & Jerry Show, which featured each 7-minute New Tom & Jerry cartoon framed in-between main and end title credits) were mixed with the backlog of theatrical-era MGM Tom & Jerry cartoons from 1940-67 for syndication. This, of course, is the version of Tom & Jerry which serious animation fans have and continue to take to with such disdain.

Yes, in spite of every slight, insult, rant and defiling ever cast at this particular version of the beloved cat-and-mouse, it still gets as much airtime as does the classic T&J shorts (thank you CN and Boomerang!). And it remains my firm favorite to this very day.

Happy 31st Anniversary!! (September 6, 1975-September 6, 2006)

And now, if you will, kindly SING ALONG!!!

THE TOM & JERRY/GRAPE APE SHOW THEME SONG
Words and Music by William Hanna, Joseph Barbera and Hoyt Curtin
published by Anihanbar Music, Inc. (BMI)

Set your dial for a while!
Have a laugh, wear a smile!
The Tom & Jerry/Grape Ape Show!
You'll begin with a grin
When you first tune us in:
The Tom & Jerry/Grape Ape Show!

Introducing that famous cat and mouse...TOM & JERRY!
And featuring...THE GREAT GRAPE APE!
("I am, I am, Grape Ape, Grape Ape!" "Love that Tom and Jerry!")

(instrumental solo)

Lots of zing, lots to sing!
Everything's gonna swing!
So, get ready - here we go! (Beegle Beagle: "HERE WE GO!")
Big or small, short or tall,
You will all have a ball
On The Tom & Jerry/Grape Ape Show!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i remember the waiting for the grape ape show to appear.
i thnk i saw it on a preview show of the new sat morning cartoons.

after seeing it recently somewere, not sure were, i cant believe i liked te show.

oh well what did i know i was 9 years old.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks