What's new

Sanyo Z2 - Beginner Needs Help Designing Basement Home Theater! (1 Viewer)

Marc~Q

Auditioning
I am new to the Home Theater world. However, I am diving in head first. I am currently finishing my basement. I need a lot of advice.

Here is what I do know. I have purchased the Sanyo PLV-Z2 projector. My seating will be about 16 feet away from my screen. My screen will be mounted to the wall.

I want a screen that is approx 100 inches wide. How far away from the screen should I mount the projector? How do I calculate the exact dimensions of the screen I need? What brand screen would you recommend?

Any suggestions from those who have been through the process would be appreciated. Thanks.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
1) Every projector throw distance is different. The manual that came with it, or the sanyo site will have information on their specific lense and throw information. There is a basic calc on projector central here. It looks like with a zoom factor of 1 (not zoomed)-- you'd have a throw of about 15 feet for 100 inches wide @ 16:9. With the zoom, looks like you could get as close as 12 feet...

2) I built my screen from material used to line drapes... because i needed, essentially, neutral gain- it worked great. Since you are using such a big screen with a projector of 800 lumens, you might need a screen with real gain (In comparison, my prjector is about 800 lumens rated, and I use a 72 inch wide screen-- and mine is probably about perfect for brightness with a neutral screen- so to add 30 inches in width you're gonna lose serious brightness).

You could consider building, but at that size you will have trouble finding cheap material that is big enough-- and will have trouble with gain. A brand to look into is Stewart, but expect to spend a couple hundred bucks.

the AVS forum (www.avsforum.com) is a good HIGHLY TECH places to look for projection and screen info-- they seem to have a new "buzz" for a screen every month or two- so you can do some searching and see what others have paired with the Sanyo.

-Vince

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Moving to displays for now.

Many members here have made their own screens so we can help you if you go that route. How about giving us the room information and we can offer tips and help there also.

Marc~Q

Auditioning
Right now the room is going to be about 16.5 x 13.5. However it one of the walls is going to be open into a pool room. I can really do about anything with the room. The wall that the screen is on will be about 13.5 feet long by 8 feet high. Because of duct work, the projector will probably have to be about 12 feet away from the screen wall. Other than that, I am open for suggestions.

DuWayne

Stunt Coordinator
You should be fine with that throw. You will easily get ~106" display. With zero zoom.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks