What's new

samsung vs panny (1 Viewer)

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

The main picture difference is the DNIE ... which the commercial unit lacks. All calibrators worth their salt turn these "image enhancements" off and recommend that they stay off. Stuff like flesh tone, auto contrast ... noise reduction ...

Just take this information as a data point because it is certainly better than not having any useful information at all. He says the black transitions look more dithered ... maybe I should look at that aspect between the Panny and the Samsung ...

He says the grayscale which is supposed to be B/W is discolored ... maybe I should compare that versus the Panasonic ...

Specific things to keep your eye out for.

Hope it helps.

(My requirements for this plasma were quite different than most others because I already have HT projection set up and this is simply for the living room/kitchen. It will never have HD on it ... just Cartoons and SD stuff and I will always be 10 to 15 feet away. It was also purchased as a learning tool and a curiosity item ... an experiment)

Regards

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
FWIW, my experiences with Samsung electronic products in general, and display devices in particular, have been less than satisfactory. Their quality control seems quite sporatic....just MHO

Mort

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

Funny you should mention this. A brand new Samsung HD plasma has a static line down what would be the right hand 30 yard line. No idea what would cause this. This is on any + all inputs and display modes. Failure right out of the box.

kahlilJ

Agent
michael
have you had the opportunity to view the sammy & panny side by side?

hey mort!
i remember you giving input on an earlier thread i had (either on this forum or another?)..anyway what kind of sammy unit/product did you have? have you heard anything about this current generarion of sammy tv's being significantly improved over the previous?

kgj

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

No, I have not viewed these side by side. No store locally carries both brands and has them set out like that.

It would not matter to me anyway since showroom performance has no bearing on image quality potential.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks