What's new

Samsung TXL2791F replaced with a new model? (1 Viewer)

Matt C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
OK, I've gotten over my initial anger over my new television set. Overall, I have to say that the set looks amazing. Colors, detail, everything, looks great. There are a couple of oddities about the set though.

1st, is, as I've already mentioned, the lack of a 16x9 mode. However, after watching some movies with the set, I think that it looks so good already, that I can live without. To answer your question Roel, no it doesn't have a trigger on the remote. There is no 16x9 mode accessible from the remote or user menus, only the normal 4:3 and a zoom mode, which are accessible through the menus and the remote. I'm really unsure as to why they chose to remove the 16x9 mode on this set, when the set it replaced had it (as far as I have been able to tell on these forums). I assume that one could create a squeeze through the service menus, but my whole point was to buy a set with it accessible through user menus.

The other oddity occurred when I was using Avia to calibrate the set. I have my player running through the component inputs set aside for the DVD input on the television. For some reason, when watching this input, you are not allowed to adjust sharpness or tint settings on the set. You try to change the value, and the user menu displays "not available." Anyone have any ideas why this might be? The red setting really needs to be pulled back a bit, but it's not allowing me to, it automatically switches to the default settings when I go into the DVD input mode. On the positive side, sharpness was right on according to the test pattern on the Avia disc. However, I like to know that I can adjust any aspect of my set, not just what Samsung has decided to let me adjust.

Geometry is EXCELLENT on this set. There was only a slight tilt of the screen, easily adjusted through the user menu. There is only a slight bend in on both the right and left sides just above the center of the screen. I am sure I can adjust this using the service menu on the set. I will be trying that as soon as I decide to keep the set or not (most likely I will be). I also need to go into the service menu and make sure that velocity modulation is turned off. Can anyone tell me how I might be able to tell if it is on or not using regular viewing material? What are the tell-tale signs?

Well, I'm sure I'll have some more thoughts on the set in the next few days, but if any of you have any questions about it, let me know, I'll try to reply as soon as possible.

-Matt C

Jon Jell

Auditioning
To add to the confusion, I just called Samsung CS and specifically asked about the squeeze on the 2792, when the rep came back he told me that it was in the menu's and that he had actually just gone to the set and done it.

Matt, you obviously are no moron, are far more knowledgable than me about these things and have the unit in front of you. Are the CSR's full of crap or hallucinating? What's going on here?!!

Matt C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
Wow. I can't believe that they told you that. I can absolutely promise you, there is no squeeze mode on this television set.

I'm a little disturbed that they would say they just went to the television and did the squeeze. First of all, I find it hard to believe that the CS folk have access to their televisions on the spot like that, though I suppose it is possible. Unless they were actually looking at last year's model, or one of the HD sets that I've seen which does have the mode, they were blatantly lying to you. Mind you, I'm not accusing them of anything, but it does sound a little odd.

I have yet to get a call back from the CS manager after four days, though I was promised one within two, so I suppose I'll have to call again the next time I have a day off (Monday). I might have to start off just asking about the mode, without mentioning that I already own the set, though I generally don't like to be quite so underhanded.

I don't suppose anyone else has actually seen or owns this set to confirm what I'm saying. I'm quite happy about the television's quality, it is quite high, and my dvds look excellent, but I'm quickly becoming rather annoyed (to put it mildly) at Samsung's customer service, and their web site.

-Matt C

Bill Will

Screenwriter
If you really want the facts on a product don't talk to CS people have them trasnfer you to a tech. I've had the same problem with a lot of companies including Samsung. Most CS people are just looking at what's listed in their computers & just like the websites sometimes the info is not there. As for going & checking it on a set I'll bet it was last years model or the CS rep is confusing the "ZOOM" mode with the "SQUEEZE TRICK" Again ask to talk to a Tech. you can usually get the straight info from them. Just my 2 cents :D

Matt C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
Ya know what's really funny though? Last time I called tech support to see if they could tell me how to turn on the sqeeze, after they told me the television doesn't have the squeeze mode, I asked to be transferred to customer service, at which point the guy on the line said "actually, I am also the customer service." Rather odd in my opinion, I would have thought they'd manage to have seperate people working on the two lines?

-Matt C

Jon Jell

Auditioning
This is ridiculous. I specifically asked him if it was the 2791 or 2792 he played with.

I actually live about 12 miles from Samsung's HQ. I'm tempted to walk in and demand a show and tell.

Jon

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Jon, if I lived that close that's what I would do;) Might be fun to check on their other products too while you were there.

Eric Brian

Agent
Hey guys,

Any more info as to why this model doesn't do the squeeze even though the web site and brochure says it does?? Can it be turned on in the service menu??

Jon...did you go down to Samsung and see it in person??

Thanks for your help.

EB

Jon Jell

Auditioning
Sorry Eric, been pretty busy.
I ended up trusting Matt and picked up a 2791 at PC Richard, a smallish NY area chain. they came down to $425, which I then put on a hold with 10% down, since these were getting harder to find. At least I was told the hold was on one of the 2 they had, until I went back a couple of weeks later and was told the hold was on the PRICE, not stock!
They said they could have another for me in a week. When I bitched about the deception to Corporate HQ, they sent me a $25 Gift Certificate.
Bottom line: great TV, $400 + 3% tax! with a much better warrantee than the Akai.
Anyone, why does this thing take so long to tune a channel? I've continued using my VCR as a tuner because it bugs me.
I haven't had the time to start playing with the settings yet, I'm waiting for Joel to publish a 2791 faq!:)
Jon

Eric Brian

Agent
Hey Jon,

Thanks for the update. I actually got a call back from Samsung today (talked to Grace at Samsung 800.726.7864) and she confimred what Matt has been telling us...NO squeeze mode on the 2792. I believed you Matt, but I wanted to hear it from Samsung...sorry!

She is the customer service manager I found out, and was very helpful in giving me straight info on not only the 2792, but another model I was interested in. I also asked (another cs rep) if Samsung is going to incorproate DVI in their future sets and he said YES. In fact their Plasma screens already have them.

So since Sony, Toshiba, and other manufactures including Samsung are going the DVI route, it looks like I'm gonnna wait a little while longer to jump into HDTV. No telling what my cable company is going to do and don't want a HDTV without DVI, just to be safe.

Take care everyone and thanks for the help.

EB

Ellen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ellen
I went to look at a Samsung TXM2790F at the local BB the other day and the picture seemed to be extremely red to me and the friend that was with me. We couldn't seem to make the picture acceptable with the user menus. Is this a known problem with this model in particular or Samsung TVs in general? Can the red push be adjusted more in the service menu than with the user menus?

Also, do any of you know if there are discrete IR codes to directly access the squeeze mode on the Samsung sets that I could program into my RatShack 15-1994 remote?

Jimmy_V

Auditioning
Eric,

I just bought the Samsung TXM2792 and it does have the "squeeze mode." If you have any questions let me know.

Jimmy

Eric Brian

Agent
Hey Jimmy,

Thanks for the info. What the hell are these other people talking about then?? Does it do the squeeze through the remote or through the menu?? How do you like your set?? Too bad nobody stocks them over here. I would order one online, but shipping would kill me.

EB

Jimmy_V

Auditioning
Eric,

You go into service mode to set up the squeeze mode. Then you are able to choose among Normal, Zoom and Wide picture size through the remote. Really cool. I paid $399 for this set from Amazon and got FREE shipping. I didn't want to do it this way but I couldn't find the set locally.

The things I like are the flat-screen, component inputs, the side S video and RCA A/V inputs, nice design and color (speakers are on the sides and cabinet is dark gray), service mode access with potential for many tweaks. I just need to figure out what all those things mean. The TV does suffer from Red Push but I'm sure it's fixable.

It's a great TV for the price and features. It will definitely hold me down 'til I can get a projector.

Jimmy

Eric Brian

Agent
Thanks for the info. So you have to go into the service mode to enable it?? Wonder why it's not enabled by default??

Anyway, glad to hear it *does* have the squeeze mode. I checked on the Amazon site and it shows that model to be discontinued. When did you buy yours??

EB

Joel Ostrow

Agent
I see a whole new thread has been going. Glad all have the same experience I do.

Mine is almost a year old and geometry and red are still optimal. With new DVD player I did another callibration and it is just amazing how this set outperforms the others.

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
Wow, I found this thread just in time. I was shopping around for a HD set today (for home), and noticed the Samsung ones.

Has anyone had any experience with the TXM3096HF? It's a 30-incher and I saw it for $999 at Best Buy. I know that Panasonic just released one of their Tau sets in a 30", but the retail on that is about $700 more than the Samsung.

Eric Brian

Agent
Hey all,

You go into service mode to set up the squeeze mode. Then you are able to choose among Normal, Zoom and Wide picture size through the remote. Really cool.
Yep, worked for me too. With the TV off, on the remote press Mute-1-8-2 and then Power. It turns on in the service mode.

Press the CH Down button to highlight the Options Menu, then press the VOL+ button down to access Options. CH Down to "Zoom Option". Then press VOL+ to cycle through the choices until Normal/Zoom/16:9 is displayed. Then hit the Menu button to return to the main menu.

Turn the TV off, then back on and you can get to the "squeeze" (wide) mode by pressing the P.Size button on the remote. I wonder why Samsung didn't enable this mode by default from the factory, as it's listed in the features on both the web site and the brochure I downloaded.

The TV is great. Excellent color after the usual tweaks. DVD's through the component inputs are fantastic with the "Dynamic" picture setting (and the squeeze mode!) enabled.

And as others have said, the set has virtually perfect geometry, unlike the Panasonic and Sony sets I had and returned. I'd like to tweak a few settings though and have gone into the service menu but don't want to change anything before I know what all those settings are for.

I called Samsung to try and get a Service Manual but they claimed not to offer one, or have them yet. I was told to call back next month and try again.

Anyway, thanks to Jimmy_V for confirmation on the squeeze mode. I wouldn't have bought this set if it didn't have it. Now that you know, you might want to order one from Amazon. Great set and great price especially with free shipping!!

EB

P.S. Disclaimer on above service mode procedure. Use at your own risk. I am not responsible for any problems occured by using this procedure!!

Eric Brian

Agent
ATTN: Jimmy_V!!

Something I've noticed with my set in squeeze mode...

With my player (Panny RP-91 v250 firmware) in 16:9 mode and viewing a 1:85 Anamorphic movie with the squeeze mode enabled, it looks like the picture is squeezed too much (between 1/2 and 3/4 inch), as compared to having the player in 4:3 mode and viewing the same 1:85 Anamorphic movie. 2:35 movies do not seem to be affected. I've noticed this with the TV in any mode and the squeeze enabled.

Is there a setting in the service menu that can adjust how much the squeeze "squeezes"??

Does your's do this?? Thanks for any help.

EB

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks