What's new

Samsung TXL2791F replaced with a new model? (1 Viewer)

Roel_S

Agent
You know Best Buy also incorrectly put down on their site that the Samsung TXL2791F did not have a component input. But it does.

Matt I checked the local Circuit City and Best Buy and they're selling a Monster Surge protector with AC Line noise filtering for $79.99. Anyone else know where I can find a cheaper prize?

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Matt I checked the local Circuit City and Best Buy and they're selling a Monster Surge protector with AC Line noise filtering for $79.99. Anyone else know where I can find a cheaper prize?
eBay! I buy everything I need on eBay and I usually save 40-50%.

Roel_S

Agent
Paul,
Yeah I tried ebay but unfortunately, they didn't have what I am looking for.:frowning:

Matt C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
Ok, so I did a quick check again on the Samsung site. They now also have the TXM2792F along with the 2790F we've been discussing. It says in the overview of the 2792F that it has "up to 800 lines of horizontal resolution." I can also see from the picture that it has side-mounted speakers, and according to it's stats, its about 2 or 3 pounds heavier than the 2790F. Basically, all I can conclude is that it's the same television, just with pumped up resolution. The 2792F also has slightly boosted speaker power (5 watts total added). Under the features of each model, the 2790F mentions nothing about a 16:9 mode, but the 92F does, along with a tilt correction control. Other than that, the samsung site is pretty much useless in terms of finding out detailed information on the sets. Neither model had the online brochure available to view.
I attempted to call the 1-800-SAMSUNG line a few minutes ago so that I could order a product catalog which includes the new models. After digging through the menus, I finally got to the television customer service selection. I selected it, and was told that they were closed, and to call back during normal hours: 9am to 9pm eastern time, 7 DAYS A WEEK! Well, so much for the 7 days a week part :angry: Ah well, I'll try back tomorrow, and let you all know how it goes.
Again, if anyone finds a site with some detailed info on these sets, please post it, I'd really appreciate it.
-Matt C

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Sounds like Samsung's going the Sony route just like Sony did with the "S" series & "V" series Wegas. I'm still hoping that Samsung will come out with a 32 inch version of the set. If you do talk to Samsung ask them how they measure the horizontal resolution? The figure you want is the "EIA" figure. I always thought their figure of 800 lines was way to high & that they must be using their own measurements but I could be wrong. At least RCA always gave you both figures, their own & the EIA figures (Electronic Industry Assocation).

EAAMPLES OF RCA SETS:

900 lines EIA Measurement 675 lines

790 lines EIA Measurement 592 lines

765 lines EIA Measurement 573 lines

705 lines EIA Measurement 530 lines

680 lines EIA Measurement 510 lines

667 lines EIA Measurement 500 lines

Matt C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
Hi Bill, sure, I'll definitely ask them how they measure the horizontal resolution for you, I'll post when I get an answer. Just for my own information, could you give me a rundown of how the EIA measurements are done, versus, say, RCA? I guess I just don't understand how a certain number of lines of resolution can be added up differently :confused:
I really hate how different companies will measure specs differently. Another prime example is power ratings on receivers. Trying to get a straight answer drives me crazy!
-Matt C
Edit: You know, I just realized this is my 100th post! It took me a long time to get here, but i finally made it! I love this forum!

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Matt, I really don't know how different companies measure the horizontal resolution.I've always just looked for or asked what the EIA figure was when comparing sets. You might want to try J&R for the Samsung specs. they carry the FULL Samsung line. I looked on J&R's website but they really don't have much info on the set yet but maybe if you ask one of their reps. they might be in their computers. You should be able to get them today at 1-800-806-1115 I just happened to see on one of the models, can't remember which one, that the labor warranty was for only 90 days. Samsung tv's always used to be 1 year on the labor warranty? That also might be something to ask about on the 2 sets. Good Luck & again I wish Samsung would make a Flat 32 inch analog model.

myke

Grip
I just picked up the last 2791F in the area from a local best buy. I have a couple of questions...

First, can anybody tell me how to disable SVM on this set? I can't seem to find the much talked about 'VML' setting in the service mode menus, but there are several 'velocity' named controls.

Also, my set seems to have a horrible high-pitched whine to it. Since it's the only set available for 50 miles in any direction, I can't return it to the BB and exchange it for another set. Is this typical for these Samsung sets, or is mine defective?

If I could disable SVM I think I'd be extremely happy with the picture, and if the high-pitched whine was a problem with just my set, I'd call Samsung and get somebody out here to fix it. But I'd hate to call repair service only to find out that it's 'within the operational spec', and there's nothing they can do to fix it, then be stuck with it.

Any input? Thanks.

myke

Grip
oh, also, the local BB also has the 2790 in stock (and on display). There's NO WAY this is the replacement for the 2791F! The picture is significantly poorer (much less resolution, more red push). They didn't have the remote, so I couldn't adjust it or anything, or even see if it has the 16:9 squeeze mode.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Myke, do a search for the SVM. Also try under the AKAI name because I know it was posted somewhere. You might also want to try www.hometheaterspot.com under Samsung & if you can't find it try a new post here asking how to shut the SVM off on a Samsung.

myke

Grip
I did do a search for the SVM and Samsung, and all I could come up with was posts pointing to the 'VML' setting, which doesn't exist on this particular set's service menu. I also tried hometheaterspot.com but it's apparently down at the moment.

I'll try some more searching with the Akai name.

Matt C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
Hi Myke, thanks for the information. It looks like the 2792F is what is meant as a direct replacement for the 2791F model. I'd like to stop at a BB to look around, but the closest one is in Rochester, NY (i'm in Corning, NY right now, and that is about a 1.5 to 2 hour drive :thumbsdown: ) The same story pretty much applies for Circuit City as well, as far as I know.
As for the SVM, try looking in this thread: Home Theater Forum thread It looks as though the "modulation" setting under the "Video Adjust 3" section of the service menu might do it, but there seems to be question as to whether that is actually the correct setting to change. It is also a possibility being thrown around that if you set the color temperature to "warm" the SVM is turned off. I'm really not too sure, and it seems as though the service menu for the set is useless... In any case, take a look at that thread, and let us know how you turn out!
About the high pitched whine, is it obvious to anyone who enters the room? Also, does it only occur when the television is turned off, or is it still there if the set is on and muted? My parents have a set that I always hear a high pitched whine from when it is turned off, but my parents and sister don't hear. If that's your case, you may have just been blessed with extraordinary hearing ;)
-Matt C

Matt C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
BTW, thanks for the heads up, Bill. I'll give J&R a call tomorrow when I call samsung again. It's also a bit disheartening to hear that the labor warranty length has been dropped to the same levels as Sony. Ugh... Well, it looks like when I get the television, it's going to have to stay on for a very long period of time straight. That way, if anything goes bad, it might do it quickly , so that I don't have to deal with any warranty problems...

-Matt C

myke

Grip
Thanks for the info Matt.

I did see that thread, but didn't get a definitive answer as to the modulation on/off = 0/1. I'll try the 1 setting on my set and see how it looks.

Several people have heard the high pitched whine. It's present whenever the TV is powered on, whether the sound is muted or not. I have a Panasonic TV that also whines, but it's about 1/10 the volume of the Samsung (the Samsung is so loud it gives me a terrible headache after about 30 minutes). I should check and see if it registers on my SPL meter (though I don't think my crappy RS SPL meter will register frequencies that high).

Matt C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
I can't hear it, but my eyes are closed
LOL, thanks for the info Bill, I'll keep that is mind next time I'm at my parents' place, I'll just close my eyes! :)
Myke, the way I see it, whether it shows up on your SPL meter or not, if it gives you a headache, I'd try a replacement set right away. As much as we HTFers love home theater, I don't think any of us would kill ourselves over it (well, maybe not most of us! :D ). Maybe see if they'll plug the replacement in for you really quick, so you can try to tell if the whine is there.
-Matt C

myke

Grip
Matt,

I'm not sure what you meant by 'plug the replacement in quickly'. Since this is the last 2791 for miles around, a replacement set isn't available from any retailer. My only option would be to call Samsung to come out and service it, which is why I was asking the question in the first place (if this is actually a problem with my set, and they can fix it, verses it being a design problem).

Maybe I can find an Akai set somewhere and see if it has the whine also...

myke

Grip
Ok, I did all of these tests with the new set. I put up a checkerboard test pattern with VE to determine if SVM was really on or off (white boxes touching corners).

I tried the 'Modulation on/off' setting at 0 and 1, with no effect. Also, setting the color temperature to 'warm' didn't have any effect.

I tried playing with the 'Velocity' parameters, but those too seemed to have nothing to do with SVM (seems to effect something else, it just gave everything a terrible ghosting problem).

I'll try some other settings to see if they do anything, but has anybody successfully (confirmed) that they disabled SVM on this set? Thanks.

myke

Grip
Also, I did do the test with my RS SPL meter just for fun. In a completely silent room, with the TV on displaying a test pattern, sound completely off, it registers 58db a few feet from the set! My old panasonic 27" doesn't register at all. Considering how insensitive the RS meter is at 10khz+ this has got to be a defect and not a design issue.

Matt C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
Sorry Myke, I guess I missed the fact that there are so few of the set near you. Not trying to tick you off or anything like that. In any case, I haven't noticed anyone else mentioning a whine coming from their samsung, but maybe run a quick search here at the forum if you haven't already, or start a new post asking if others have had the same experience. I'm sure if it was a general design fault instead of a problem with your particular set, someone else would notice a 58db whine (ouch! no wonder you've been getting a headache).

Sorry about your bad luck, I hope you get some answers out of the forum.

-Matt C

Users who are viewing this thread