What's new

Samsung TXL2791F replaced with a new model? (1 Viewer)

Matt C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
Hey everyone,

I was just looking at the samsung USA website, wanting to look at their info on the TXL2791F flatscreen TV which a lot of people on this forum seem to be very happy with. All of a sudden that model no longer appears on the site (at least that I can find), and it's been replaced with the TXM2790F flatscreen, which now has the speakers on the bottom. Does anyone have anymore info on this TV? The samsung site doesn't even have all of the links working for the model yet, so I'm assuming the TXM is the new model to replace the TXL? I noticed that they slimmed down the dimensions of the TV considerably, and also the weight has fallen from 100 pounds to 93. I hope that the weight reduction didn't come at a cost to build quality.

Well, if anyone has any info on the set, that would be great. I'm buying a new TV within the next month, and the samsungs seemed to be totally outdoing the sonys with having outstanding geometry, and little to no other problems. Maybe this new set fixes the few problems there were, like user menus to turn off velocity modulation, red push, and a fix to the "flicker/flashing" problem some were having? This is all just hopeful speculation though, so if anyone has real info, let me know!

-Matt C

AlbertH

Stunt Coordinator
best buy is "supposed" to have these by the 28th of april but i doubt that. Should come in early next month. I think the price on it will still be 499.

Matt C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
John and Albert,

Thanks for the info. I look forward to the new model coming out. Thanks for the Amazon info, but I'm skeptical about ordering a television online, for fear of having a problem and having to pay shipping charges to return, not to mention shipping charges to get it to me in the first place...

I'm really hopeful the new model will clear up the few problems people seemed to be having, it looks like I'll just have to wait a little while longer to find out.

-Matt C

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Amazon has free shipping on it, but you'll still have to pay the return shipping if you have a problem. If the new set now has the speakers on the bottom that's what is probably making up for the difference in weight because the whole tv is smaller in size. But before you buy one I would check "ALL" the specs. When Sony first came out with the Wega's the speakers were on the side & then when they came out with the "S" model Wega's the speakers were on the bottom but the whole speaker system & the audio amp. watts were a lot different. So again, CHECK THE SPECS. BEFORE YOU BUY! As for website's a lot of them take forever to get the new models up but for some reason they always seem to have the printed catalogs out first? I would call Samsung 1-800-SAMSUNG & ask them to send you a catalog that has the "NEW" models in it & stress new models.

Roel_S

Agent
Tweeter still sells the old TXL2791F. Personnaly I like them better than the new because the speaker is set up better and the side A/V inputs is much more pleasant to look at than the front ones.

Matt C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
...I like them better than the new because the speaker is set up better...
Do you mean having them on the sides, because they give better stereo separation? I would agree that the separation would be better, but I think that having the speakers on the bottom to save space is a worthy compromise. Also, a majority of the time my television audio is pumped through my receiver anyways :) so I suppose it's a nonproblem for me! Thanks for the heads-up about Tweeter still selling them though!
-Matt C

Roel_S

Agent
The side speaker is better I believe for the surround sound mode if you don't have the TV connected to a receiver. What I meant from my earlier post was the side A/V input on the old one is much better to look at than the front A/V input that the new one has. I almost bought the HDTV version which has a pop up A/V input from the side but couldn't justify to myself spending close to a gran on a 27" TV :).
I got 2 problem with this TV so far, I have the S-Video connected from my digital cable to the TV and the Composite Video connected from my DVD to the TV. The wierd thing though is the sound from the TV comes up when I watch DVD movies and i have to turn the volume off or mute it. My DVD audio comes out of my receiver. Also, the composite video was acting up last night. I was watching a movie and all of a sudden fuzzy lines came up.. I had to full around with the Composite plugs to get it straight..

Matt C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
Roel,
I understand about the speaker setup and your preferences now. Sorry for the confusion! :)
As for your problems... First a question: Do you mean composite from your DVD or component? (I'm sure you understand the difference, but component will use 3 plugs for the video alone, composite will use 1; component is, of course, much higher quality).
Now, as for the sound, if you're using component, do the s-video input and the component inputs share a common sound input? I seem to remember reading this somewhere. If so, I suppose that's why you're getting weird sound, it's pulling in sound from your digital cable box? Does your receiver have the ability to pass through s-video signals? If so, you could put the sound and video outputs from your cable box to an input on your receiver, and then take the outputs from the receiver and send that to the television. Then take the sound from the dvd player straight to the receiver, and the component video straight to the TV. This should let you either listen to cable sound through your receiver, or mute the receiver and listen through the tv, and also listen to DVD through the receiver with no worries about the television outputing sound (of course, it all depends on what particular receiver you have; if you can't pass through video signals this is all moot).
As for the fuzzy lines coming up, you said you fiddled with the cables and they went away? If so, that sounds to me like either a bad cable, or the connection on the TV itself is bad. If it happens again, I would try another cable. Please keep us informed if the problem persists though!
Good luck, and by the way, overall, are you pleased with the TV?
-Matt C

Roel_S

Agent
As for the fuzzy lines coming up, you said you fiddled with the cables and they went away? If so, that sounds to me like either a bad cable, or the connection on the TV itself is bad. If it happens again, I would try another cable. Please keep us informed if the problem persists though!
I'm using the A/R Pro series cables as I can't justify spending more $$ to cables. Any thoughts by the way on a good surge protector that is preferrably under $60? I'm having hard time justifying to my girlfriend as she thinks I'm way overspending on these matters.

As far as the TV is concern I'm way over satisfied. It's definitely worth the money I spent. As far as I'm concerned, it's so much better than the Sony, Toshiba, and Panasonic. I enjoy using the 16:9 format alot.

Matt C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
I'm not sure what kind of splitter you would need to do that. I would suggest, that if it bothers you to turn down the sound of the television whenever watching DVDs, I would just run the cable's sound to the receiver and listen to it through the receiver. Otherwise, I would just not worry too much about it, and wait for a new receiver some time.
As for the cables, I would definitely not spend more money on them. It's been a bit of a running debate on this forum as to whether cheap cables are really any better than expensive Monster cables, for example. I personally don't feel they are worth the price difference, and I use regular, shielded Radio Shack gold series cables for everything (quick tip: don't fall for cables which say they are especially for component video, or digital audio. I have found that a regular gold-plated patch cable with a standard RCA-style connector gives just as high quality, at a fraction of the price, as long as it is a 7-ohm (i think it's 7) cable with some sort of shielding on it. However, others will wholeheartedly disagree with me on that point, so it's up to you to make the choice). Anyways, to get back on track, I didn't mean that you were using inferior cables, only that there might be a bad connection between the cable and the connector at the end, such as a bad solder connection, or it isn't getting a perfect connection with the input on the back on the television.
About your question of surge protectors, I would suggest purchasing a Tripp Lite brand protector. This is the brand I use, and has done a good job at protecting my equipment from numerous surges caused by lightning storms. I would suggest the ISOBAR6DBS as one to buy. It's not what I currently have, but what I would most likely get if I was purchasing one now. That link will take you to the Tripp Lite page and give you all the info on it. Of course, nowadays I usually try to unplug my equipment completely from the wall if at all possible before a major storm.
-Matt C

John Torrez

Second Unit
I was gonna get the TXL2791F. But I think I'll just wait and see the TXM2790F set. I'd rather have the speakers on the bottom because of the more room on the sides, I won't be listening through those speakers anyways.

Matt C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
Same here on the speakers, I'm on an extremely tight space budget, so having the speakers on the bottom is going to make things much easier on me.

Roel: Have you had any repeats on the fuzzy lines problem you were having?

-Matt C

Roel_S

Agent
Matt,

Haven't had any repeats so far. Watch 5 DVD's and no repeat. I do have a question regarding the ISOBAR6DBS. My local Circuit City does not have that particular brand and researching from the net, it seems like it has to be ordered over the net. Do they have line noise filter? Both the Best Buy and Circuit City employees I spoke with adviced me to get the Monster surge protector with line filtering noise or something to that effect. Supposedly eliminates electric interferance from microwave or hair dryer or any other equipment that shares the same power line.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Do you all find that the 27" screen is big enough? I'm going to get a new TV soon and I think I want a 32" Toshiba 32A61. But I keep reading about this Samsung.

I just made a new thread for this, if you want to respond please do it there, thanks,

Paul

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Paul, I'm a big Samsung fan but I would go with a 32 inch set over a 27 inch set any day. The picture on a 32 inch set is around 40% bigger than a 27 inch set. But if you want to do the "Squeeze Trick" & want a Flat Tube tv then go with the Samsung. You might also want to take a look at Samsung's regular 32 inch set which also does the "Squeeze Trick" but the set only has a 1 tuner P-I-P & that set is a hard one to find. It also doesn't have as many inputs as the Toshiba but it does have Component Video Inputs. I don't know when the new models of Toshiba are coming out? but maybe the new ones will do the "Squeeze" I was hoping that Samsung would put the 32 inch Flat Tube in a regular analog set for this years models but so far I don't see it on Samsung's website, but I don't think all the new models are up yet. If you can wait on the set? that's what I would do until all the new models are out.

Damon M

Auditioning
Thanks for this info guys. I've been price watching the TXL2791 at BB for months now. I was going to get it because with the speakers on the side, is is short enough that I can place my JBL S-Center on top of it and still keep both TV and center inside my entertainment stand. With the TXM2790 the speakers will be on underneath and it may be too tall to fit both inside my stand. I have plenty of horizontal room, but not much vertical. My only complaint with the TXL2791 is that the top of the set is so narrow that I didn't know if my my big center would balance on top. This is why I have waited for the new models to see if they had wider tops. Guess its back to the waiting game again to actually see the new model in stores and decide. Do you think BB will have both models in stock at the same time for comparison of design and specs?

Roel_S

Agent
I would recommend to you guys to check out Tweeter first or HiFi. go to Tweeter.com or HiFi.com and see if there's a local store near you. I was going to buy mine at BestBuy but they didn't have the TXL2791F that they were advertising but local Tweeter had them. Best Buy only had the TXL2791F on limited locations. Tweeter matched prices so that made it easier and they're warranty service is better than Best Buy.

Just my 2 cents

Matt C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
Wow, I lose my internet for 8 days, and the thread just keeps growing!

Roel, sorry for not getting back to you on your surge protector question. From what I've heard, the line noise filtering is quite good to have, however I had thought they were more expensive than what you wanted to spend. However, I think that the line noise filtering is a good quality to have. Anyone with more information please feel free to jump in and correct me if you know ottherwise!

Paul, for my situation a 27" will be fine. I live in a small apartment, and I have to sit fairly close to the television all the time. combined with finding space to put the television, and 27" will fit my needs perfectly.

Lily, I sure do hope the best buy site is incorrect. A change in resolution like that could stop me from buying the new model very quickly. Anyone else have more info!?

-Matt C

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks