What's new

Samsung: Horizontal Light Bands Problem (1 Viewer)

Jon Mahoney

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Samsung 32" TXM3297HF HD set that I got three years ago. Recently it's started having a weird issue where sometimes there are horizontal bands going down the screen and they run the full width of the image(about 2" in height). The bands are not distorting the image but are just a bit lighter than the normal picture.

I've been trying to narrow down on which channels/programs are exhibiting the behavior but havn't had the time to narrow it down yet. It happens only on the component input though (either the Comcast DVR or the progressive scan DVD player). THis is not the issue where its only on the sides that most people see.

Anyone have any ideas as to what this is/possible solution?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Horizontal lines running down the screen, is almost always some sort of interference. I would assume because it happens with two different sources, that there are two different component inputs and sets of cables involved here?

Doesn't do it on any other input? If so, it sure sounds like some sort of new interference or ground loop situation as been introduced into the environment somehow.

Jon Mahoney

Stunt Coordinator
There is only one component input on the TV but its normally hooked up through a component switcher. However, due to the lines I took that off and it still happens whether its hooked up directly from the DVD or HD Box, using different cables.

What other sources of interference could it be? Should I try switching out the power strip it plugs into or directly into the wall? I've unplugged all other sources of input to the TV (ps2, etc.) so its just one source plugged in.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Do you have cable TV? Sat???

Common issues with this have to do with the grounding on that coax....

People recently have had luck doing local grounding all to the same ground source / ac outlet.

True forms of EMF type interference are much tougher to figure out.

Jon Mahoney

Stunt Coordinator
Its a Comcast HD-DVR hooked into the TV through component. If the DVR is completely unhooked from the TV and the DVD player plugged in it still happens so I don't think it's the coax

I've got a new power strip here that I'm going to try and hooked just the TV, DVR into it and see how that goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks