Shadowy "banding" on PTH5498, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert_Powers, Sep 27, 2002.

1. Robert_Powers

I just bought an Akai PTH5498 HDTV this past week and I've noticed when watching dvd's that during some scenes that horizontal lines of shadow and light streaks begin moving up and down.I suppose this is what is called "banding" or "ringing"?I was hoping some may know if a service tech can fix this problem or does the unit have to be replaced?

It's still under warranty and Akai told me that a service tech should be able to probably fix this, has anyone else had this problem before and if any had it on a Samsung/Akai?And if so have you had it fixed by a tech or not or can it be fixed at all?

Sorry if it's not explained too well I'm a newbie to all of this.:b

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

How high are your contrast and brightness settings? Sometimes this layering/banding phenomenon can be reduced or even eliminated by taming the white and black levels. Try that first.

3. Robert_Powers

EDIT: Fixed [​IMG]
    I bought a Panny RP62 and the lines are now gone. I suppose the interlaced Pioneer DVD353K was the problem. Now with the progressive scan player the lines never show up.

4. Mike_Berrien

Mike_Berrien Auditioning

Robert,
    Throw your set away, I literally just did. If you read the manual it says to unplug the unit for seconds if it acts erratic. This shodowing will go away for a short time but will reapear every couple of days. I bought the same set and after four months of thsi it finally went out completely and the guns were totally out of sink. I spent two days trying to figure out how to get warranty work and finally got an 800 number. They gave me a local repair shop for service but said I was out of the 90 labor warranty. When I called the shop they said they wouldn't touch the piece of jusk. It is a Samsung inside. Finally I called another shop and upon his visit he said it would be roughly $400-$500 to fix it. I said forget it and sold it right there on the spot to the technician for $250 to get the piece of crap out of my house. Anyway I've heard that if you yell loud enough and tell Sam's that if you knew it was a samsung they will give you you're money back even after 6 months. I joined the forum yesterday to get insight on buying another set that won't crepa out on me. Good Luck

5. Robert_Powers

Thanks for the reply, but my set has been fixed for days now.[​IMG]
    My problem with the shadowy lines was my dvd player. I didn't have a progressive scan player connected to this HDTV and a friend told me that may be my problem. So I went out and bought an RP62 to see if that was it, and low and behold the lines are gone. I now have a beautiful, sharp, and clean picture. So I don't think I will throw my set away when it wasn't the fault of the TV, plus I have a tech in this area that is Akai certified by my warranty. He's been out here already and is going to return later this week to check up on my convergence because one side is a bit off. So I have no problem with the warranty I had the number and all the information in the warranty package that came with my TV. Thank you for all of your thoughts on it though. I'm very sorry you had a bitter experience with yours, I hope you get a good replacement. Right now I'm very happy with this Akai set, I'm now in love with HDTV.[​IMG]