What's new

Samsung HD931 (1 Viewer)

MartyF

Auditioning
I have two questions. First, I just recently purchased the Mitsubishi RPTV WS 48313 and the Sony ProScan DVD NC665p. I have it hooked up using Monster Component, but the picture seems a little blurry. I guess I expected more for my DVDs. I dont' have a lot of first hand experience with this. Is this normal for all 480p, or is it a bad player? Second, I've been trying to research the new Samsung HD931. Would I see a huge difference between my Sony and the Samsung using DVI? It seems that the people that see a considerable difference are using DLP or Plasma monitors. I like the fact that the Sony is a 5 disc changer because I use if for CDs as well, and I'm not sure if I can justify spending an extra $200 dollars for a small difference. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
The Mitsubishi's are HDCP compliant, but I've heard of people having trouble linking it up to the DVI port on them and having it sync up.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Wait for a couple of months for a universal player from Pioneer (Elite series). Yes it's a lot more than the Samsung, but you'll get a much better scaled-up PQ, DVD-A, SACD (with bass management) and iLink output.

Rick Anderson

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 931 hooked up to my Sony RPTV and there is a very noticable difference in picture with it from the regular DVD players.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
David,

Has such a player been anounced? If so, what's the model and do you have a link to an article?

Robbie_L

Auditioning
Marty

I just bought the HD931 last Thursday and I ended up taking it back on Monday evening. The PQ was a noticable improvement over my low end Sony, however, I didnt feel the PQ was such an improvement to warrant the 425.00 I spent on the player and monster DVI cable.

I have a Mits 55413 and while I was using the DVI input I did notice that the picture was somewhat "grainy". Combine that with a very slow loading/responsive DVD player, common sense just said to wait until something else comes along that is worth dropping the coin on.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Stephen, the layer was announced during CEDIA and will be available in Fall 2003. MSRP will be US$1600, but considering Pioneer, it usually can be had at a street price much lower than MSRP.

The full press release can be obtained here

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks