What's new

Samsung Announces It Will No Longer Make 4K UHD or Blu-ray Players (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Panasonic 4K players are widely available outside of the US. Good point about the next gen gaming consoles- if Sony include a UHD drive it could really kick start the format!
Those of us who are neck-deep in the gaming world can say this is looking less and less likely. Games are now going more towards the download and store on HDD route. Data access is just faster, especially those who use external HDDs or SSDs (games run multiple times faster on my external SSD than they do off the internal HDD). It's surprising that Sony, who makes UHD players, felt no need to put one in their PS4, nor their PS4 Pro which was the updated version released a couple of years ago. I don't think they'll be looking to change course in the PS5 or whatever comes next. The profit margin for console hardware is so slim (with rumors that initial release year is sold at loss) that manufacturers will do what they can to put all their money in CPU/GPU/HDD/Memory vs. putting a more expensive optical drive in there.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I agree, Carlo. I have an interesting perspective on gaming because while I’m not a gamer myself, my wife and our mutual friends are, which keeps me current on what’s happening in that universe.

This is purely anecdotal but I haven’t heard from anyone in that circle displaying any kind of enthusiasm for purchasing more games on disc, if a digital download version is available. From their point of view, it’s all data anyway. A physical disc might get damaged or loss. A physical disc has to be ordered for delivery or picked up a store. A physical disc might be out of stock, particularly for an in-demand new release.

Downloading the game directly allows them to buy the games they want when they want them.

I don’t know if downloading games is technically feasible in areas with slower download speeds. But to anyone who has already started purchasing games digitally, I don’t see a lot of interest in going back to being tethered to the physical item.

I do not think the potential inclusion of a UHD drive in a next generation console will have a significant impact on the movie disc industry.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
As far as games go, it doesn't matter if you buy a physical copy. You are stuck downloading the entire game anyway, regardless of connection speed.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I agree, Carlo. I have an interesting perspective on gaming because while I’m not a gamer myself, my wife and our mutual friends are, which keeps me current on what’s happening in that universe.

This is purely anecdotal but I haven’t heard from anyone in that circle displaying any kind of enthusiasm for purchasing more games on disc, if a digital download version is available. From their point of view, it’s all data anyway. A physical disc might get damaged or loss. A physical disc has to be ordered for delivery or picked up a store. A physical disc might be out of stock, particularly for an in-demand new release.

Downloading the game directly allows them to buy the games they want when they want them.

I don’t know if downloading games is technically feasible in areas with slower download speeds. But to anyone who has already started purchasing games digitally, I don’t see a lot of interest in going back to being tethered to the physical item.

I do not think the potential inclusion of a UHD drive in a next generation console will have a significant impact on the movie disc industry.
Hi Josh - it goes even deeper than that. For the AAA titles (think videogame equivalent of tentpole/MCU films), they're never "done". They get released and then regularly patched and updated. I have Destiny 1 on disc, purchased in 2014. But the final version of Destiny released in 2017 is like 3X larger. Plus you had to pay extras for "expansions" (nearly all AAA titles do this, not just Destiny) which gave you fresh content and extends the lifespan of the game for much longer than games of old. Gone are the days where you can beat Super Mario Bros. and then put it to bed. These games are constantly evolving until the studio developer end-of-life's it (and then it's frozen in its final form)...and in Bungie's case makes the sequel.

As a die-hard physical media guy, it was hard for me to let go of games-on-disc. But it's happened. I haven't purchased a game on disc since around 2016. Last 2+ years it's been download only. Luckily I have 400mbps internet. I can't imagine what it would be like for those who have less than 100mbps, but luckily there are options to have games update while you're away.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I can understand why especially those who move often can get tired of moving alot of physical things from place to place and I get that! I will be turning 55 this year so yes time is catching up to me as well and it will be tough hauling all my stuff to the next place I live! But I enjoy this hobby enough to deal with packing and moving and unpacking a ton of stuff. I am on the side of physical media which a number of you already know. I prefer my movies and music on disc! For music how ever I will go old school and try to from time to time pick up a vinyl record, yes i know many will say it is inferior to cd but I love the entire experience of vinyl records. But my movie collection is something I can see and pick up and a streaming service going under nor a lawsuit will take that content from me. That being said I understand the attraction of digital as it is much easier to just bring it up online and boom it is purchased. But for myself as time goes on more and more of my collection is 1080p blu-ray and 4K blu-ray. I have invested in a 4K switching Marantz flagship receiver with Dolby Atmos, DTS-X and Auro 3D surround decoding. So yes I want my movies on disc in 4K or at least 1080p and my receiver and Sony XBR55A9F OLED will upscale it to 4K. I do have a number of blu-ray titles that are registered via ultraviolet and movies anywhere purely as back up. I am very short on cash right now because every available dollar has been going for the new Marantz 11 channel receiver, Sony OLED 4K TV and now two pair of Klipsch RP-600M reference bookshelf speakers for my surrounds.

Anyway soon the focus will be back on movies and yes your hearing this right I will end up getting a 4K apple tv this year. But not because I want to buy digital versions of movies but to have another option to rent digital. By that time I should have the cat6 cable replaced that was damaged and a new 8 port switch installed in the a/v rack. It is hard to get excited about something you can not hold, do not own and may not have lossless audio. But I get the entire convenience part of digital and that you can take it with you to watch where ever you want. It is amazing how far digital and on demand video has come over the years and it has improved so much. One day it will be bit for bit match to the disc and one day better as they limitations of discs are reached.

But I have gone from my first Sony HDTV and Sony blu-ray to the previous Samsung 4K TV and Samsung 4K blu-ray that I still use. To the Sony 4K OLED TV and will purchase a matching 4K player as soon as Sony releases it on the market. I will have two rooms with 4K displays and 4K disc playback and 7.1.4 on the home theater and 7.1 in the bedroom. And while I was not happy to see Oppo leave the disc player market as that was actually my first choice in 4K disc players. But at the time money was not there to purchase that fine player! This time with Samsung leaving the disc player market while not a good sign, at the same time it doesn't bother me! I am sure Sony will love to have my money for the new UBP-X800M2 4K blu-ray! And I am sure Sony will love to see that money move from Samsung's pockets to theirs! Samsung is forgetting one thing and not everyone has fast enough internet to stream digital 1080p and especially 4K HDR content! If they do not have a disc player what are they going to feed to those beautiful 4K Samsung QLED's? Digital may be enjoying dominance in the market over disc but I do not spend money on digital I spend my money on discs! That being said the funny part is I am more than willing to buy software as digital downloads but then again pc software is different from movies and music. I am also willing to buy pc games as digital downloads as well but movie and music give me discs!

IMG_2111a.jpg

IMG_2353a.jpg

IMG_2384a.jpg

Supporter of disc formats, 1080p and 4K blu-ray discs, Dolby True HD, Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-X and Auro 3D!

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
As a die-hard physical media guy, it was hard for me to let go of games-on-disc. But it's happened. I haven't purchased a game on disc since around 2016. Last 2+ years it's been download only. Luckily I have 400mbps internet. I can't imagine what it would be like for those who have less than 100mbps, but luckily there are options to have games update while you're away.

I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but I have gone digital for gaming also. The reason mainly being that modern video games are disposable to me. I beat a game and I never look back, even the games I love, I will most likely never go back to play it again once I finish it. Digital is so much easier than physical, and the way I juggle my games, it is a great solution.

I feel a sense of guilt because I know a few really cool people that live and breathe video games, and they will never go digital. They are die hard gamers/collectors. Every time I buy digital I feel like I'm stabbing them in the back by helping to ensure the future of gaming is something they won't be able to own physically, and display in their game room.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but I have gone digital for gaming also. The reason mainly being that modern video games are disposable to me. I beat a game and I never look back, even the games I love, I will most likely never go back to play it again once I finish it. Digital is so much easier than physical, and the way I juggle my games, it is a great solution.

I feel a sense of guilt because I know a few really cool people that live and breathe video games, and they will never go digital. They are die hard gamers/collectors. Every time I buy digital I feel like I'm stabbing them in the back by helping to ensure the future of gaming is something they won't be able to own physically, and display in their game room.

Similar sentiments here too, though I don't play any modern or recent video games. I can understand though the dilema.

The few video games which had a VERY HIGH replay value for me, were fortunately ones which I purchased the pc version on disc back in the day. I liked to play grand theft auto: vice city a lot over and over again (and gta3 and gta:sa to a lesser extent). I even found used copies at a charity thrift store for $2 a pop, which I purchased as a backup copies.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr

Heh.

(On a similar tangent).

This sounds almost like trying to find a sealed standalone copy of the Colecovision "Donkey Kong" cartridge. Even back in the day, this was an extreme rarity, due to the fact that Donkey Kong was the pack-in cartridge sold with just about every new Colecovision unit. (The pack-in version of Donkey Kong never came in an individual sealed cartridge box).

Back in the day, I only ever saw once the standalone "Donkey Kong" cartridge in an individual sealed box.

Blu_rayfan66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hugh S.
Contrary to some of the views expressed above re digital vs. discs (videogames) everyone I know still buys the discs because once you beat the game you can then sell or trade in the game disc which obviously you cannot do with a digital copy. Many of us too enjoy simply enjoy collecting videogames and I have many old videogames worth hundreds of dollars.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Contrary to some of the views expressed above re digital vs. discs (videogames) everyone I know still buys the discs because once you beat the game you can then sell or trade in the game disc which obviously you cannot do with a digital copy. Many of us too enjoy simply enjoy collecting videogames and I have many old videogames worth hundreds of dollars.

This would probably still be the case for console game discs.

I don't know if this is still the case for pc games Rumor has it that quite a few pc games released over the past decade or so only had a download program on the actual cdrom disc, with an authentication code on a sheet of paper enclosed in the physical package.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Actually it depends on the game you play. If you play the type of game (console or PC) that is a standalone, finished product once it's released, it makes sense to buy physical media and then re-sell.

If you play games like Destiny, Anthem, The Division, etc. where you buy at $60 but expansions quickly double, triple or quadruple the costs over the game's multi-year lifespan, your resale value is next to nothing, and you lose the ability to play the expansions if you sell your base disc. Those types of games you never "beat", just like you don't beat League of Legends, World of Warcraft, etc.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Those of us who are neck-deep in the gaming world can say this is looking less and less likely. Games are now going more towards the download and store on HDD route. Data access is just faster, especially those who use external HDDs or SSDs (games run multiple times faster on my external SSD than they do off the internal HDD). It's surprising that Sony, who makes UHD players, felt no need to put one in their PS4, nor their PS4 Pro which was the updated version released a couple of years ago. I don't think they'll be looking to change course in the PS5 or whatever comes next. The profit margin for console hardware is so slim (with rumors that initial release year is sold at loss) that manufacturers will do what they can to put all their money in CPU/GPU/HDD/Memory vs. putting a more expensive optical drive in there.

You were on the mark. :)

The next iteration of XboxOne (rumored to available in April), will have no optical disc drive.

https://games.slashdot.org/story/19...all-digital-xbox-one-s-next-month-report-says

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
You were on the mark. :)

The next iteration of XboxOne (rumored to available in April), will have no optical disc drive.

https://games.slashdot.org/story/19...all-digital-xbox-one-s-next-month-report-says
While that seems to be true, it's more a move to release an Xbox One at a lower price point ahead of the announcement of whatever their next console will be called. I do think it's very possible that their next console won't have a disc drive, though. Since it's increasingly rare for a new game to be released without several patches and whatever (mostly) useless add-ons they can charge you for later on, having a game on disc doesn't have any benefits. Twenty years from now, even if you still had a working console, the odds are that the version of the game you have on disc will have bugs that may possibly render it unplayable. Gone are the days when complete, usually bug-free, games are released on physical media. It's more important for the publishers to meet a street date and fix the problems with a patch after release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks