What's new

Samsung.....A Legitimate Player??? (1 Viewer)

Greetings:

I plan to buy a big-screen HDTV in the next few months and need some advise. My budget for this will be around $4,000 and a few friends and co-workers have been recommending Pioneer Elite, Sony, or Mitsubishi. However, I have heard good things about Samsung and the few that I have seen appear to be pretty nice. To be honest though, it's hard to get too excited over a company that sells refrigerators along with HDTV's. That's right...refrigerators. Saw several Samsung's at Best Buy yesterday when I took the wife over to look for a new refrigerator. In any event, I am hoping that some of you will be kind enough to offer me some insight on this since I am a novice. Also, should I stick to the 4:3 format or go with the wide-screen 16:9?

Thanks........Peter

Stuart Kinzel

Auditioning
From the time I've spent lurking here and just from personal opinion, I'd say go with the 16:9. Eventually HDTV programming will be the norm and I believe it will be in the 16:9 format. As far as Samsung, I'm hoping I kind find one of the Samsung DLP sets to go look at. As far as I can tell, Sears is the only Samsung dealer close to me and I don't remember seeing to many Samsung logos in the TV section. Of course I was mostly looking for Pioneer, Sony or Mitsubishi logos, so I could have missed it. Supposedly the DLP set have some issues with eye strain and possible motion nausea. Since my wife is prone to these conditions I want her to look at one (and not just out of a desire to make see her get sick :) ) If I can find one, hopefully I'll be able to decided between the Samsung DLP and Sony LCD sets.

Mike I

Supporting Actor
If you are interested in HD, the Baltimore market has a lot of HD offerings..All HD is in the 16.9 format, if that helps you narrow your choice between 16.9 vs 4.3...

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Panasonic makes car batterys. Yamaha makes pianos and motorcycles as well as AV equipment. Hitachi makes breadmakers (I've got one and have had one of their rptvs, both were excellent). Mitsubishi makes cars. DirecTV and Hughes are owned by General Motors.

Samsung is doing some pretty advanced stuff, like the first "affordable" dpl based rptvs, and lots of folks are pretty happy with their products. I'm a bit conservative and would wait to see how well their products hold up in long-term use. They haven't been around long enough to have established a track record like Mits, Pioneer, Hitachi, Sony, Panasonic.

In light of their innovation and attractive pricing, and apparently good performing products I'd really like to see them do well as far as reliability also, but maybe it's too soon to tell.

Dave Dahl

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, the company that makes Mitsubishi television sets is completely separate from the car manufacturer. There are many companies in Japan that are named Mitsubishi.

-Dave

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
If everything I owned could be Samsung, I wouldn't care. I have owned a Samsung HDTV and I am extremely satisfied with it. I am also happy that I saved almost $2500 compared to others who have bought more expensive HDTVs. The quality and clarity on it are excellent. I would wholeheartedly recommend this tv as well as any other product that Samsung makes. (BTW, their cell phones are excellent as well)

JoshuaR

Agent
Peter - I visited the Tweeter store in Rockville and saw the Samsung DLP 507W and was very impressed. So impressed that I am pretty much convinced in getting it for my HT when it is finished. I just hope the price comes down a few notches by then!

George Balzer

Auditioning
I purchased a 19" Samsung (SyncMaster 950p) computer monitor aprox. 4 years ago. Nothing but trouble free.

So, come xmas time and the wife decides to let me purchase a rear projection HDTV, I did the research and fell in love with the price and quality of my 55" Samsung. I found it had all the features I was looking for and was hundreds of dollars cheaper than even the sub 50" category.

And you have to admit, the motorized control panel for A/V inputs on the front is an eye opener...

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Mitsubishi is a single corporate entity, but it has several divisions, some of which make A/V equipment and others which make fighter aircraft and automobiles. As noted, many esteemed OEMs consist of farflung divisions that make a variety of disparate products.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Didn't mean to denigrate Samsung by any means. I'd sure take a Samsung over an RCA.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
I just bought the Samsung HLM5065 DLP and I have to say I just love this thing. Picture quality is simply outstanding, with vibrant colors and razor sharp picture from a progressive DVD (no HDTV programming for me yet). I've had it about three weeks and haven't notice any of the nauseating effects or eyestrain that was mentioned. I had no hesitation on picking up a Samsung brand, since I had their PLH403 40" LCD for three years before this one and never had an issue with it. If you have any questions on it, feel free to give a holler!

TimSted

Auditioning
Just to throw my $.2 in regarding Samsung...I bought a Samsung HCL4715W (47" Widescreen HDTV) at Best Buy a few months ago. I did some research, but mostly let my eyes be the final judge. Anyway, I was pretty happy with it until about 2 months in when I couldn't keep it in convergence. I'd converge it, and 10 minutes later, It'd drift. Turns out 2 of the CRT's were bad and were leaking coolant all over the place!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
I was not a happy camper. Anyway, long story short, Samsung told Best Buy to take the TV back after I pitched a fit when they told me it would take 3 weeks or more to repair (I would have missed the Fiesta Bowl, GO BUCKS!!!!). I was pleasantly suprised with Samsung's Customer Service. They were a bit slow responding, and it was hard to talk to the same person twice even when I had names, but they all spoke english and did eventually take care of me. Best Buy is another matter all together, don't get me started on them! Anyway, I ended up getting a 55" Mits for $1800 for all my trouble. Much better TV in my opinion. So I guess it all worked out. If the Samsung had been out of warranty, it would have been over $1000 (with labor) to replace those CRT's so I'd be very gun (no pun intended) shy to buy another Samsung RPTV. I know stuff happens, it was probably just a fluke, but it makes you wonder. Sorry for the long post!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks