What's new

Sammy HD941 vs. Denon 2910 (1 Viewer)

Van Patton

Second Unit
Hi.

I recently bought a Samsung DLP 5085 television set. I am very pleased with my purchase. I am looking at purchasing a top-end player and was hoping to acquire some advice from you all here. Currently, I am leaning towards the Sammy based on the website Samsung has set up for it--granted it is slightly biased ha.

Thanks.

Check out the initial reviews in the DVD players section over at AVSForum.com. The Sammy is not looking so good depending on how you are going to use it. There are problems when going from hdmi to dvi. I was hoping that this player was going to be "the answer" to most of the current up-convert issues but I guess not.

Well if that is the case than it appears that you should be okay. There is supposed to be a problem passing black levels going to DVI but what I have been reading HDMI to HDMI is better. I would wait until I can get it locally or through Crutchfield. So it can be returned easily if need be. I think I am going to start looking for a decent 480p player for now and give up on the upconvert. It seems like you need to spend between $600 and $1500 to get something good. That is a little rich for me. Although I have heard good things about the Zenith DVB318 it does not appear to be available anymore except on ebay. And even there they are selling for more than the original list.

KenWong

Stunt Coordinator
What about the Bravo dvd players? I have the V1 and it's amazing to me, going into a projector... Also, sony also just released a upconversion dvd player so it might be something you might look at... Just letting you know that the sammy and zenith aren't the only ones that has the upconversion.

Ken,

That is understood but it appears that most of the sub $650 players like momitsu, neuneo even panasonic sony and the low end denons all seem to have issues of some sort or another. I just wat a $300 player that has no problems at all. At this point in time that seems to much to ask.

BobbyD

Auditioning
I have the 941.

I believe that the 941 and the new Denon use the same Faroudja 2300 chip and are probably similar in capabilities.

BUT - if you are going to use the analog output (ie component, S-Video or Video) I will bet money that the Denon's quality is much better than the Samsung, since this is not a strength of the Sammy.

If digital is your only consideration and you are only going to use the HDMI output, then the Samsung is perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.