What's new

Denon AVR-1604 - a couple of teething problems with secondhand unit (1 Viewer)

plurpley

Auditioning
Real Name
Neil
Hi all! I recently picked up a cheap secondhand Denon AVR-1604 receiver. I've never owned an AV receiver before, but I had a brief opportunity to demo the unit before I bought it and it seemed to be working okay. I've now set it up at home and I'm having a couple of teething problems.
  1. The receiver came with the original AM antenna loop, but I realised when I got home that the FM antenna was missing. I aim to purchase a replacement FM antenna, and in the meantime I was hoping to listen to AM radio. I assumed this would be pretty straightforward, but when I set the input to tuner I get an "Ext. In" message and the receiver won't let me change the band (either from the unit or the remote). Is this expected behaviour? Is it because I don't have the FM antenna connected? For some reason, do I need to have the FM antenna connected before the receiver will let me change the band to AM?
  2. Second, I was hoping to play music from my phone via AUX IN, but unfortunately I can't get that working either. I connected my phone to the front audio inputs using a 3.5mm to 2 x RCA cable, and then set the input to AUX IN. Unfortunately, no sound. I tried increasing the volume on the receiver and on the phone, still no sound. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to connect to the rear AV inputs instead? Do I need to connect the phone to another device before connecting to the receiver?
Regards, P.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks